[Guide] De-branding AT&T Nokia Lumia 635/**820**

ufo991

Jan 30, 2014
Visit site
And why would you do that? It might have already damaged the LTE radio for good

I live in Europe and have ATT phone the frequencies are different my operator uses 800/1800MHZ and on android phones there is possibility to unlock bands on USA models (on QUALCOMM devices such as nexus 5 etc.) and I thought that it was possible on lumias but no LTE

Nazar Pelenjo

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
It might not work, it won't brick your phone but error out saying cannot open update. You'll have to hard reset in that case.
I've done. Probably with no success. yet.
I successfully did almost all the steps. On the Part 2 - Registry Edits: Step 3 "Install Updates" my phone freeze on the cog wheel screen (about 95%). I did the reset, not sure what one (Volume Down & Power). Then I got blue screen "If you'd would like to know more, you can search online later". Then after a number of tries I got the working phone OS 8.10.14234.375.

The Carrier still AT&T. No ukr display language. A couple of brand ATT applications (much less than before).
No new software update (no Preview for dewelopers installed).

Extras+info >> Lumia Cyan.
(More info)
Manufacturer Name >> RM-824_nam_att_101
Mobile Operator >> ATT-US

Looks I have no luck this time.
Am I able to downgrade the OS to try one more time?

Thanks,

Nazar Pelenjo

Jun 8, 2015
Visit site
That's Denim actually, something AT&T hasn't released yet. Not sure why your extras+info still shows AT&T? Did you change it back to the default AT&T values after checking for updates?
No, I didn't. I've followed the listed above guide only.

Now, I've downgraded the phone using Nokia Care Suite 5.0 to FW 3051.40000.1347.1001 (FW files downloaded separately). Then tried ones more. Now all is okay. I've got unbranded phone using followed registry keys:
PhoneMobileOperatorName >> 000-UA
PhoneManufacturerModelName >> RM-825_eu_ukraine_286

The phone has OS 8.10.14234.375 and Lumia Denim extras+info

Thank you for help.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
No, I didn't. I've followed the listed above guide only.

Now, I've downgraded the phone using Nokia Care Suite 5.0 to FW 3051.40000.1347.1001 (FW files downloaded separately). Then tried ones more. Now all is okay. I've got unbranded phone using followed registry keys:
PhoneMobileOperatorName >> 000-UA
PhoneManufacturerModelName >> RM-825_eu_ukraine_286

The phone has OS 8.10.14234.375 and Lumia Denim extras+info

Thank you for help.
You're welcome. You can further get Update 2 using a similar trick here:

http://forums.windowscentral.com/wi...stalling-wp-8-1-update-2-lumia-devices**.html

mebahel

Jul 22, 2015
Visit site
thank you friend.

Your procedure worked 100%

My nokia AT & T rm-875_1005 now this as rm-975_1073

So I could upgrade to WINDOWS 10 build 10166

Thank you thank you ...

omar-zambrano

Aug 7, 2015
Visit site
Hello. I'm trying to unbrand an att Lumia 1520 rm-940 to a Latin America Lumia rm-938. But I'm on the step 3 of the edit registry, I modiffied the PhoneMobileOperatorName = *000-22* and- PhoneManufacturerModelName = *RM-938_lta_lta_905*, I try to update the system but the update is downloaded but It won't install giving me the 80188306 error.
What can I do.

lift

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
I'm trying to debrand an unlocked GoPhone Lumia 640. I followed all the steps and had no problem with my Lumia 635 but this guide is not working for the Lumia 640. I can't flash any other ROM to my Lumia 640 no matter what I do. AT&T has it locked down. Any guru out there have any info on debranding the AT&T 640 and how to flash it to another ROM?

DudesonWP

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

This is my first post in this forum... first of all, I wanted to thank every single person (developers as well as regular every day forum users and support) for your dedication and unselfish assistance you're providing in these forums. Thank you!

I have one question... I purchased Lumia 635 for my wife (GoPhone, pre-paid) here in Canada, and I also got unlock code printed on the box. Unlocked it in less than few minutes, and phone was ready to use with Fido and SpeakOut 7-eleven SIM cards. Then I've decided to un-brand it, remove that AT&T logo at boot time, and all the junk they usually instal. I followed this tutorial by pankaj981, called "[Guide] De-branding AT&T Nokia Lumia 635/**820**" to un-brand it.
Not a single problem, everything went super smooth. After that, I've decided to do similar thing to get 8.1 Update 2, so I followed his other tutorial called: "[Guide] Installing WP 8.1 Update 2 on Lumia Devices**"

Again, after couple of minutes after I finished it, phone started downloading big update (update 2), and finally everything was perfect at the end. Phone is completely updated, seems quite snappier than with AT&T junk on it, so all is good. What is my question?

Well... I have to admit it was kind of confusing for me reading about un-branding / installing another ROM (possibly non-branded), because even right now, without me installing any new ROM, just after the un-branding process and seeing that her phone has Windows 8.1 Update 2 installed, to me it looks like there is no traces of AT&T inside. Boot logo is gone, all the apps she used to have from AT&T are gone, so all actually looks rather great :)

My question is... do I still have to install some other ROM, and if the answer is yes, which one would work with this phone and where can I get it? It is RM-975, Product Code: 059V714

Also, in case I have to install new ROM, what is the preferred method? Nokia Care Suite or something else?

Thank you a million in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Can someone please confirm whether Cricket tethering works on a debranded att 635? Thanks
No it does not. The option vanishes the moment the SIM is installed.

Hello. I'm trying to unbrand an att Lumia 1520 rm-940 to a Latin America Lumia rm-938. But I'm on the step 3 of the edit registry, I modiffied the PhoneMobileOperatorName = *000-22* and- PhoneManufacturerModelName = *RM-938_lta_lta_905*, I try to update the system but the update is downloaded but It won't install giving me the 80188306 error.
What can I do.
It won't work for the AT&T Lumia 1520. My guess is it only works on similar variants (RM-938 vs RM-940)

How debrand AT&T Nokia Lumia 1520?
Please see my response above

I'm trying to debrand an unlocked GoPhone Lumia 640. I followed all the steps and had no problem with my Lumia 635 but this guide is not working for the Lumia 640. I can't flash any other ROM to my Lumia 640 no matter what I do. AT&T has it locked down. Any guru out there have any info on debranding the AT&T 640 and how to flash it to another ROM?
What entries are you entering for the debranding process?

My question is... do I still have to install some other ROM, and if the answer is yes, which one would work with this phone and where can I get it? It is RM-975, Product Code: 059V714

Also, in case I have to install new ROM, what is the preferred method? Nokia Care Suite or something else?

To install a new ROM (outside of the factory default) you'll either have to use Nokia Product Support Tool for Store which is part of the Nokia Care Suite or you can use MS Image Designer Tool, this is slightly more advanced and may work better for newer models. I don't remember the product code for the unbranded Lumia 635 US CV but that's the ROM variant you need to flash.

DudesonWP

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
...To install a new ROM (outside of the factory default) you'll either have to use Nokia Product Support Tool for Store which is part of the Nokia Care Suite or you can use MS Image Designer Tool, this is slightly more advanced and may work better for newer models. I don't remember the product code for the unbranded Lumia 635 US CV but that's the ROM variant you need to flash.

OK, thank you. I've seen some videos people using MS Image Designer, and I am quite confident I can deal with that one.

My only remaining question is... now when phone is debranded and updated to Windows Phone 8.1 Update 2, is there really any reason to install another ROM? What would be the gains of installing other ROM? All I actually want is my wife's Lumia 635 to have something as close to the stock, plain ROM as possible. I don't need any extra bells and whistles, just simple clean ROM.

lift

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
What entries are you entering for the debranding process?
Actually there is no North American Lumia 640 debranded ROM so I am trying to change from an AT&T to a T-Mobile device. I already got the SIM unlock code and unlocked the phone.
I was using "RM-1073_1001" and "TMO-US". I tried to flash using 059X0P7 ROM and got an error. I have a T-Mobile Lumia 640 so I know the codes are correct. Again, I am trying to change my unlocked AT&T Lumia 640 to a T-Mobile Lumia 640 this way I can use it on either carrier.
I had success changing an AT&T Lumia 635 to a T-Mobile lumia 635 with wifi calling and everything.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Actually there is no North American Lumia 640.....

.... with wifi calling and everything.

What you could try is to first reset the phone to factory and then perform this trick, not sure whether it would work though.

OK, thank you....
...., just simple clean ROM.

I just responded to your PM but for others...there is no need to flash another ROM on top of this. You are not missing anything.

DudesonWP

Aug 15, 2015
Visit site
Oh my God, you are amazing! Thank you so much for all your help, greatly appreciated. I couldn't be more happy with switching from Android (and iOS earlier) to WP. This is one amazing platform, and I'm planning to stay here a long, long time. Not just that I am super happy with my new Lumia 640, but even my wife's Lumia 635 seems way, way snappier and more responsive than any even more powerful Android phone I had in the past. This just works, and I am one happy camper now.

Again, I am unconditionally grateful for your assistance on this, and of course for all the hard work you're doing to help us all. Thank you!

lift

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
What you could try is to first reset the phone to factory and then perform this trick, not sure whether it would work though.
Still didn't work. Looks like there is no way to change an AT&T 640 to a T-Mobile 640. Someone came up with a way to do it with the 635 so hopefully someone will do the same for the 640.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb