Verizon Nokia Icon user thinking about grabbing an unlocked 1520 for T-Mobile. Is that wise?

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
You could also opt for a Nokia 930. You seem to be used to the Icon so the transition is negible. It is unlocked for GSM as well. You would lose LTE but would retain the wireless charging and gain the pedometer function. Mine gets H+ and runs almost as fast as LTE anyways.

I also noticed that you state that you are a HVAC Tech and carry your phone on your belt and would want some form of Otterbox/ Otterbox-like protection. You would be limited in that regard with the 1520. When I had my 1520 I always worried about dropping it, breaking it, etc. I haven't had this same concern with the 930, especially with mine in it's Otterbox.

But don't forget there Is much risk in using the 930 in the U.S. If any issues/defects ( the infamous Mega battery drain, or Supernova heat issues) occur, and you've passed your sellers usual 30 day return period then your on your own, as you won't have any manufacturer warranty in the U.S, and Microsoft stores won't be able to help you. Your best bet of protection would be some type of paid protection plan such as SquareTrade.

Also the Lumia 930 trends at like $300-350 around the web, which is much more than a 1520, although if you fish around enough you may be able to find one or two like new ones for about $280. Last time I checked Newegg has a refurbished gold Lumia 930 for like $320

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
If your talking 930 (and I do not think he was) then he can just use his Icon on T-Mobile. Max is 3G speed but that's fine, it just takes a bit of tweaking.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
The 1520 is definitely a great device, as other folks have mentioned.

How is T-Mobile coverage where you live and work? Will you have coverage as good as what you have with Verizon?

T-Mobile used to suck as bad as Sprint but I guess they work pretty good here now.
My friend has it for his phone and he has good signal everywhere we go and tests pretty fast internet speeds.
Verizon seems to have oversold some of the areas here and the connection chokes.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
A) The RM-940 is NOT Factory Unlocked...
B) The green one they show is just a cheap green snap on case on a black 1520...

While the seller (or someone) may have gotten the RM-940s Carrier Unlocked from AT&T that is not the same as Factory Unlocked (which the 1520.3 RM-938 actually is - Factory Unlocked for the Latin American markets).

The incorrect statement that an AT&T branded phone is "Factory Unlocked" and that cheap case being passed off as a green 1520 leave me doubting the seller's knowledge and honesty.

I purchased this one. Seems to be the last Green because now green is not available.
Nokia Lumia 1520 Refurbished UNLOCKED16GB RM 940 Red Black Green | eBay

I also purchased an otterbox defender and a screen protector online as well as I like otterbox.

boltz82

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Where did you find an Otterbox Defender case for your 1520? I was under the impression that Otterbox did not make any cases for the 1520?
Yeah it is not available from Otterbox anymore.
Some ebay stores have them.
But I just looked for the link and say that I ordered THE WRONG ONE somehow. Crap!

boltz82

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site
Yeah it is not available from Otterbox anymore.
Some ebay stores have them.
But I just looked for the link and say that I ordered THE WRONG ONE somehow. Crap!

I think then maybe you purchased a fake as Otterbox never made a case for the 1520. Not the Commuter or Defender.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I currently have a Nokia Icon on Verizon.
From what I have read the 1520 is the same specs as the Nokia Icon except of course it is a 6" monster.
I've kind of always wanted one but all Verizon had was the Icon then they stopped selling it with no good reason.
(Verizon hates Windows phones).

So I see that I can just buy a used 1520 for about $225 to $250 on eBay that is unlocked for T-Mobile.
I want to get unlimited data again and save some $$$ on my cell bill.

Anyway, is the 1520 still a viable phone?
I assume it is also ready for Windows 10 preview as was on the ICON.

I also considered the Nokia 1020 with that bad *** camera but I see that it has a slower dual core processor and a AMOLED that isn't as good as the LCD in the 1520.

Any advice?
I'm fixing to order something soon so I can walk into T-Mobile to transfer soon.
I guess they will reimburse me most of what I will own Verizon for cancelling early.

If TMo has good service in your area the AT&T 1520 is not a bad choice. The unlimited music is nice, especially since it works with MixRadio and Xbox Music.

Overall the 1520 is pretty unwieldy, and I kind of feel that the extra size is not being utilized. Moreover, with the noticeable amount of display flex I could never put it in my front pocket ... Too bad Verizon phones have issues with SMS on "3G"/"4G", otherwise I would have opted for the ICON.

If expandable storage is your thing than the 1520 is a plus. You can add Qi charging for under $20 if you have 30 minutes and are a DIY type person.

Good luck!

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Also if the 1520 is too big, and unwieldy for you and you fear ghost taps too much.

The Nokia Lumia 830 is the next best thing! 1520=930>830>every other Lumia..... The 1520,930, & 830 are the top Lumia Devices right now

box.jpg

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
WP_20150611_18_07_13_Pro.jpgWP_20150611_18_07_34_Pro.jpg

I got the phone today.
It looks like brand new.

Now I need to go to T-Mobile this weekend and make the switch.

I really need a case. Does anyone know if ATT etc will still have protective cases for it?

I screwed up and got the wrong otterbox. Turns out they do NOT have them on eBay. I clicked on a "suggested" item as I was making up my mind on the other ones and got a Nokia Icon otterbox. Which I already have. :-/

I'm thinking about getting this if no one locally has one.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I think then maybe you purchased a fake as Otterbox never made a case for the 1520. Not the Commuter or Defender.

LOL, no. As I said I made a MISTAKE and didn't realize that the "suggested" item on ebay wasn't for a 1520. So I basically ordered one for an ICON. I screwed up. There are no 1520 otterboxes

Byrese

Dec 14, 2012
Visit site
View attachment 106309View attachment 106310

I got the phone today.
It looks like brand new.

Now I need to go to T-Mobile this weekend and make the switch.

I really need a case. Does anyone know if ATT etc will still have protective cases for it?

I screwed up and got the wrong otterbox. Turns out they do NOT have them on eBay. I clicked on a "suggested" item as I was making up my mind on the other ones and got a Nokia Icon otterbox. Which I already have. :-/

I'm thinking about getting this if no one locally has one.

That really does look kinda sweet 😊 I have a white one and love it. As for cases go with Incipio or nillkin. You can find reviews for both on here (WC). Just get it from Amazon. I've had both. And while the nillkin add more protection, I have chosen to stick with the Incipio due to the feel. Honestly though I mostly Rick my phone naked now. I just love the feel, design, and curves of this Lumia.

The 1520 it's just a sexy phone. Probably the designed/looking phone ever!

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm in a crystal clear snap on case right now. I've never been able to justify covering up the massive amount of yellow that is my beloved beast.

Get some black trays to match your black buttons. I turned my yellow 1520 into a Bumble Bee... http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-1520/340475-mix-up-yall.html

What do you do to pop out your first corner when swapping 1520 shells?

Every disassembly video online seems to fade, transition, speed, and whatever else through that step... The first corner is always hard for me

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99