Verizon Nokia Icon user thinking about grabbing an unlocked 1520 for T-Mobile. Is that wise?

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
But on another note, the 1520 feels really cool with it's shell off. I know it sound weird but it does!

Without the shell the bezels seem so much smaller and thinner. The device without the shell just feels like it has an amazing screen to body ratio.

Sometimes I wish I could use it that way, but then if it dropped, it's components would probably shoot in every direction LOL

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
View attachment 106309View attachment 106310

I got the phone today.
It looks like brand new.

Now I need to go to T-Mobile this weekend and make the switch.

I really need a case. Does anyone know if ATT etc will still have protective cases for it?

I screwed up and got the wrong otterbox. Turns out they do NOT have them on eBay. I clicked on a "suggested" item as I was making up my mind on the other ones and got a Nokia Icon otterbox. Which I already have. :-/

I'm thinking about getting this if no one locally has one.

Do you still plan on upgrading to the flagship later this year?

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site

LOL, those sure are fancy.

But I need something that will both protect by phone from drops but also from my sometimes dirty hands, from clicking the side buttons too easily, etc.

Right now I am ALWAYS unintentionally pushing the camera or power button while trying to hold the phone or get it out of my packet.

The tracking number shows my phone is in the state so I assume I will get it tomorrow.

I did get my wife a 1520 (black) from a used phone dealer yesterday.
I got her a case from the mall.
Mine is still naked and that worries me about bringing it to work tomorrow.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm eventually getting it set up similar to how I have had my ICON setup.
So far so good and no glitches yet other than really needing a case.

Attachments

• DSC02100.JPG
    DSC02100.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 1

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I'm eventually getting it set up similar to how I have had my ICON setup.
So far so good and no glitches yet other than really needing a case.

Which Design do you like better? Size aside... and which display do you like better?

And yes a new Flagship ( Most likely Two, a 5.2incher & a 5.7incher ) is due for later this year alongside Windows 10 for phones

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Which Design do you like better? Size aside... and which display do you like better?

And yes a new Flagship ( Most likely Two, a 5.2incher & a 5.7incher ) is due for later this year alongside Windows 10 for phones

I definitely like having an SD CARD slot. I was missing that.

The display looks awesome now that I took off the screen protector it came with and installed a new one.

Bigger is better as far as viewing.
It is a little harder to make sure I have a grip on it as I pulled it out of the pocket etc today.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I definitely like having an SD CARD slot. I was missing that.

The display looks awesome now that I took off the screen protector it came with and installed a new one.

Bigger is better as far as viewing.
It is a little harder to make sure I have a grip on it as I pulled it out of the pocket etc today.

I was asking whether you liked the design and display better on the 1520 compared to the ICON. Sorry if I wasn't very clear lol

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
I got the case in today that I ordered online.

The GOOD part is that it has a hard part that goes over the power button with some rubber sticking through to activate the power button.
It takes some effort so now I think I will not accidently push the power button as I hold the thing.

The bad thing is it does not snap in and out of the belt clip like the OTTERBOX which was so easy to do one handed.
Instead it slides in and out longways. Not too easy with one hand.

Anyone know of an Otterbox like protective case with the belt clip part like an Otterbox?

Attachments

• DSC02103 Cropped.jpg
    DSC02103 Cropped.jpg
    2.5 MB · Views: 1
  • DSC02105 Cropped.jpg
    DSC02105 Cropped.jpg
    2.7 MB · Views: 1
  • DSC02102.JPG
    DSC02102.JPG
    3.6 MB · Views: 1

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Now.... Do I try the next build of Windows 10?

I installed windows 10 into my ICON last month and had to revert back to Windows 8.1
It was not very stable.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Im not sure, but i think im going to finally jump on windows 10 tomorrow after the daredevils go first and say what they have to say.
Its supposed to be much more stable, hence 10080 to 10134... a big jump

it's especially a good time because the build literally requires you to be coming from 8.1 to jump in due to a bug lol

"When asked if the build was stable enough for daily use, Aul said that depends on a user’s tolerance for bugs, but that the build is the one he uses daily."

from this article on it Next build of Windows 10 Mobile coming Tuesday, but it won't be simple | PCWorld

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Cool, the release is today finally?

I've been using Windows 10 on my PC since last fall.
Wow was it unstable at first. LOL
Even parts of the screen would disappear.

But on the PC at least I had dual SSD boot drives (plus the few 2 TB storage drives) and could always boot into Windows 8.1 when I needed it to be stable for doing things.

I've been using Windows 10 on the PC as my main system since early this year when it got fairly stable.

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
If you want to play with WP10 then buy a 635 from Walmart for $50 and put the preview on that. 635 seems to be what they are primarily developing on so it has the best experience.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
If you want to play with WP10 then buy a 635 from Walmart for $50 and put the preview on that. 635 seems to be what they are primarily developing on so it has the best experience.
You can buy that phone for $50 with no contract?

So basically you guys sign into the spare phone with the same account but set the developer preview settings different?

As far as my one and only phone goes I am not that worried.
If the build sucks I just fire up the Nokia recovery tool as I did on the ICON

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Yes, off contract, it's a pay as you go phone. You don't even necessarily have to activate it. When your done sell it. It is not free but consider it insurance against all these problems effecting people across WC forums.

Best of all as I said the experience is superior due to this being the device they are using internally at Microsoft. The system recognizes multiple phones and treats their settings individually.

If the preview bricks your new $300 1520 to the point USB will not recognize it (thus redering the recovery tool useless, and yes it has done this very thing to many people) you will remember this advice.

mary beth hale

Mar 13, 2013
Visit site
You can buy that phone for $50 with no contract?

So basically you guys sign into the spare phone with the same account but set the developer preview settings different?

As far as my one and only phone goes I am not that worried.
If the build sucks I just fire up the Nokia recovery tool as I did on the ICON
W10TP works great on the 635. I think its even cheaper now. I use it for trying the new builds before I run them on my 930

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Oh if you do activate it for whatever reason choose the plan where you pay for minutes and texts with no data. It should end up costing $20 every three months or $100 a year(with special $100 card that is available) if you use the phone lightly. Its a great deal on a backup line if you have need of such a thing.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
As the biggest 1520 ****** i can safely say that this is definitely worth the cash. It is truly the best windows phone to date. Along with the 930. So go for it.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
quicktravo