How many of you LOVE the 930

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I recently made a thread to see some positivity about the heavily complained about 830, so now considering the 930 has nothing short of a plethora of haters, I decided, Why not make a thread for people to share why they love their Nokia Lumia 930?

So how many of you LOVE the Nokia Lumia 930... Nokia's LAST FLAGSHIP HIGH END DEVICE, alongside the 1520, but that came out a little earlier

Did it do a good job at succeeding the previous flagships?

LETS HEAR IT FOR POSITIVITY!! :grin::grin:

Lumia-930-Kamera.jpg

Last edited:

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
i don't get the hate some people have for the 930, saying it's not a "true flagship" or "true successor to the 920"... really?! it has everything aboard to run W10 and future updates smoothly:

Snapdragon 800 (still the only Lumia that supports Hey Cortana besides the 1520), Adreno 330, 2 GB RAM makes it FLY. Also, 32 GB of storage (more than enough for most users), astonishingly great screen - 1080 x 1920p, 441 ppi, 5 inches is a very balanced size - perfect video and audio recording, 20 MP camera ensures incredible photos day and night (not to mention all the camera features you have access to), audio is flawless, impressive build quality (some find it a bit thick, but it's still very nice looking), wireless charging built-in for those who like it. Battery and temperature are pretty acceptable after Denim update, so issues with them are gone (unless you have a faulty phone). A true premium Lumia.

my only complaint is lack of Glance screen, which i do miss occasionally... sometimes i also wonder if a LCD display wouldn't be better for matters of "color longevity" and to avoid burn-in, but those deep blacks and those colors are just too great to miss :grin:

btw, i've owned Lumia 520, 925 and 830, and the 930 is the one i enjoyed the most. It's tied with the 925 and 830 in terms of design in my opinion.

i say it's still a good buy, especially now - prices are lower after over a year since launch. This updating policy of Microsoft makes all Lumias future-proof, especially the medium and high end ones.

Last edited:

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
i don't get the hate some people have for the 930, saying it's not a "true flagship" or "true successor to the 920"... really?! it has everything aboard to run W10 and future updates smoothly:

Snapdragon 800 (still the only phone one that supports Hey Cortana besides the 1520), Adreno 330, 2 GB RAM makes it FLY. Also, 32 GB of storage (more than enough for most users), astonishingly great screen - 1080 x 1920p, 441 ppi, 5 inches is a very balanced size - perfect video and audio recording, 20 MP camera ensures incredible photos day and night (not to mention all the camera features you have access to), audio is flawless, impressive build quality (some find it a bit thick, but it's still very nice looking), wireless charging built-in for those who like it. Battery and temperature are pretty acceptable after Denim update, so issues with them are gone (unless you have a faulty phone). A true premium Lumia.

my only complaint is lack of Glance screen, which i do miss occasionally... sometimes i also wonder if a LCD display wouldn't be better for matters of "color longevity" and to avoid burn-in, but those deep blacks and those colors are just too great to miss :grin:

btw, i've owned Lumia 520, 925 and 830, and the 930 is the one i enjoyed the most. It's tied with the 925 and 830 in terms of design in my opinion.

i say it's still a good buy, especially now - prices are lower after over a year since launch. This updating policy of Microsoft makes all Lumias future-proof, especially the medium and high end ones.

Have you ever tried the 1520?

I have had a 1520, but I really want to try the 930 one day.. The things people complain about are mostly battery life, heat, micro SD, non removable backs, and glance... but at the end of the day the 920 has each and every one of those "issues", except glance. So glance being the only thing missing from the 930, I don't see how it isn't a true successor either...

Barely any flagship has a removable back, or micro SD these days anyway.. and the iPhone 6 and Galaxy s6 both have notorious poor to mediocre battery life. My cousin is always rushing to a charger with her iPhone 6.... those diets Apple is putting on their devices are making them weak lol

P1ng0fDeath

Jul 15, 2014
Visit site
Have you ever tried the 1520?

I have had a 1520, but I really want to try the 930 one day.. The things people complain about are mostly battery life, heat, micro SD, non removable backs, and glance... but at the end of the day the 920 has each and every one of those "issues", except glance. So glance being the only thing missing from the 930, I don't see how it isn't a true successor either...

Barely any flagship has a removable back, or micro SD these days anyway.. and the iPhone 6 and Galaxy s6 both have notorious poor to mediocre battery life. My cousin is always rushing to a charger with her iPhone 6.... those diets Apple is putting on their devices are making them weak lol

My thoughts exactly. The 930 is a very solid phone. Of course some things are a matter of taste or need, but no phone can satisfy everyone.

And no, i never tried the 1520 but i'm sure it's a beast... Too big for my taste, but an amazing Lumia indeed, very striking and eye-catching phone. Both blow any iPhone out of the water.

tohoshinki

Apr 7, 2014
Visit site
I only picked up my Lumia 930 recently. Initially I was not very impressed with the battery, and I still think it could be better. (my previous prepaid budget galaxy lasts longer) haha)

The screen really is so good though. I love how the display edges blend in with the glass. More often than not you cant tell where the display meets the glass and it appears seamless... Which is so cool and something I haven't seen on other phones.
Also the speaker sounds great once you tune the EQ.

KllR007

Jul 5, 2013
Visit site
I have mine from january, it is almost half year (man that time runing fast :D) and I still love this piece of eden. Its solid, great device with good future. Amazing i mean really amazing camera with RAW support. Yes i had one RMA but after thats its without problems ( had bad quality screen, replaced).
And bright orange color its amazing everytime especially on bright sun :D

Hope for another year or two and than going for 950 :D (but only if will be better camera, which 940 dont have so skip it).

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Every device has its pro's and con's, i am a non 930 user btw and running a basic simple 1320. In the resent past i thought about to switch to a 930, but to be honest .... i stil believe its a downgrade. How so a downgrade? Let me explain. The 930 has better specs but non of them are very useful ( to me anyway ), smaller screen, no sd card support. It has more ram but 2 gig vs 1 gig doesn't seem any problem in day to day use.
Then the soc, its supports hey Cortana wow....Cortana isn't even available where i live so i don't miss it. The only thing or reason why i thought about switching was the camera, that's the only big improvement for me.
But the main reason why i didn't switch is stil the smaller screen and the battery life, and of course no sd cart support.

Sd cart is not only for apps or media.
It also gives users the capability to do some customization or tweaks ( for those who are in to it ).

So for me it's a NoGoPhone, i hope the upcoming 940 phones is more to my likings a specialty the xl version and hopefully with stylus and sd support. Does that al makes the 930 a bad phone? No not at all, its a great device and i like the build just like the 830. I like the looks better then the phone i currently use, but its not only the looks what counts, its the total package and how you use it.
If the 930 came out in a xl version and with sd card i would go for it, now waiting for what ever the future might bring.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Every device has its pro's and con's, i am a non 930 user btw and running a basic simple 1320. In the resent past i thought about to switch to a 930, but to be honest .... i stil believe its a downgrade. How so a downgrade? Let me explain. The 930 has better specs but non of them are very useful ( to me anyway ), smaller screen, no sd card support. It has more ram but 2 gig vs 1 gig doesn't seem any problem in day to day use.
Then the soc, its supports hey Cortana wow....Cortana isn't even available where i live so i don't miss it. The only thing or reason why i thought about switching was the camera, that's the only big improvement for me.
But the main reason why i didn't switch is stil the smaller screen and the battery life, and of course no sd cart support.

Sd cart is not only for apps or media.
It also gives users the capability to do some customization or tweaks ( for those who are in to it ).

So for me it's a NoGoPhone, i hope the upcoming 940 phones is more to my likings a specialty the xl version and hopefully with stylus and sd support. Does that al makes the 930 a bad phone? No not at all, its a great device and i like the build just like the 830. I like the looks better then the phone i currently use, but its not only the looks what counts, its the total package and how you use it.
If the 930 came out in a xl version and with sd card i would go for it, now waiting for what ever the future might bring.
Essentially the Xl version of the 930 is the 1520.

It has micro Sd

It has amazing battery life

Has all the higher specs of the 930, but with glance

And has a 6inch screen

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
Essentially the Xl version of the 930 is the 1520.

It has micro Sd

It has amazing battery life

Has all the higher specs of the 930, but with glance

And has a 6inch screen

Correct, but almost two years old, end of line and stil twice as much as the one i currently use.
But still a great Phone.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Correct, but almost two years old, end of line and stil twice as much as the one i currently use.
But still a great Phone.

But its just as old as the 1320 :/ . And its only a 5 months older than the 930. Also what do you mean by "end of line"... Also I'm not sure what country your in, but the 1520 is found to be around $150 less than the 930 in the u.s...

Also the Green 1520 was unleashed at build 2014,at the same time/along with the 930. So they are just as old as each other and have both just turned a year old this past April.

Just my 1 cent

chris_gt

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
I bought mine as a replacement for a 925 8 months ago and so far so good. I haven't experienced any of the issues posted around here and the phone is just what I wanted: Fast, sober black plastic on black metal frame, great camera, suitable battery life and excellent reception.

I don't get all the "my lumia XXX can do all the same things, my lumia XXX has all the bases covered for me" comments. This has nothing to do with the capabilities of the 930, it only has to do with the needs and priorities of each user.

A Lumia 640 could give me most of what I want from a windows phone, but I really value the advantages of a flagship: the inexistent loading/resuming screens, the near instant camera launches, the incredible photo and video, the snappiness of a faster SOC and the high end construction.

For now I'm really pleased with my 930 and hope the next high end lumia will give me the same near perfect user experience the 925 and this phone gave me.

SSgt Bruskowiz

Jan 23, 2014
Visit site
But its just as old as the 1320 :/
Also the Green 1520 was unleashed at build 2014

Just my 1 cent
I have the 1320 almost from the first day.
So when i now going to buy a two year old phone its a step back.
No matter when the green one its release date was, this model is stil two years old
Eol means end of line, endex, finish, no longer fabricated.

I live in the badlands of Europe, called Frysl?n.
Those phones stil cost here about 500? the 930 400? the 1320 200?

dnbrealm

Oct 5, 2014
Visit site
I really like my 930, a few points of what I like about the phone and things I don't:

1) Physical buttons, not been keen on on-screen buttons.

2) A nice feeling phone in the hand.

3) Great screen - although suffers from flickering hopefully that will be fixed.

4) Great day light camera.

Dislikes

1) Not so great low light camera, can't beat the 920.

2) Aluminum frame not as hard wearing, edges discoloured.

3) Screen lift for edges.

4) Need louder speakers.

Would definitely buy another successor to the 930, happy user of the 930 for about 10 months now.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I have the 1320 almost from the first day.
So when i now going to buy a two year old phone its a step back.
No matter when the green one its release date was, this model is stil two years old
Eol means end of line, endex, finish, no longer fabricated.

I live in the badlands of Europe, called Frysl?n.
Those phones stil cost here about 500? the 930 400? the 1320 200?

The 640xl looks promising

SaltedSquirrel7

Jul 19, 2014
Visit site
I love my Lumia 930 - the green colour combined with the aluminium edges looks great, the camera button is unbeatable (along with the camera :p) and not forgetting things like Qi wireless charging, NFC and the Full HD screen.

My only gripes are a few things with WP8.1 in general - the biggest being the music app. It works perfectly well for the most part, BUT, if I'm out and about and want to play an album through the car (via a basic AUX cable), then the app takes a good 30 seconds or so to load albums, even when the albums are offline! Rant Over!

The biggest thing that upsets me is how the other companies are now implementing features that not just the 930, but older devices like the 920 had such as NFC/Qi Charging and people suddenly think it's revolutionary. Similar to multi-tasking on the new iPad!

But yes, I do love my 930! :D

vw412fan

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
I *just* got my 930 the other day, to replace my smashed 920 :(

So far loving the speed compared to the 920. I do miss Glance but I can deal with that.

I'm not a huge fan of OLED screens, they seem too "fruity" to me, but man... this screen is really clear. Yeah it's a little fruity (punchy?) but the blacks are really black and makes the interface really pop. I was using a white background on the 920, started with that on the 930 but nearly went blind LOL... back to the black background and it looks slick.

Did I mention this thing is fast?

For some reason Hey Cortana doesn't work very consistently, and I discovered today my Mic didn't work on Skype or WhatsApp. But a video I took has sound. And then Hey Cortana worked once. Really weird, hopefully I can get this sorted.

Other than that, so far so good.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
I *just* got my 930 the other day, to replace my smashed 920 :(

So far loving the speed compared to the 920. I do miss Glance but I can deal with that.

I'm not a huge fan of OLED screens, they seem too "fruity" to me, but man... this screen is really clear. Yeah it's a little fruity (punchy?) but the blacks are really black and makes the interface really pop. I was using a white background on the 920, started with that on the 930 but nearly went blind LOL... back to the black background and it looks slick.

Did I mention this thing is fast?

For some reason Hey Cortana doesn't work very consistently, and I discovered today my Mic didn't work on Skype or WhatsApp. But a video I took has sound. And then Hey Cortana worked once. Really weird, hopefully I can get this sorted.

Other than that, so far so good.

A lot of people are having" Hey Cortana" reliability issues with the 930. There's a whole thread about it

http://forums.windowscentral.com/ask-question/360497-hey-cortana-lumia-930-a.html#post3120126

But Glad You're enjoying it. I'm looking forward to hopefully one day getting to really try an Icon/930. I picked up an Icon ONCE in an MS store and didn't even get to turn it on before I left.

And you can adjust the screen saturation/"fruitiness" under DISPLAY in settings

Mark Baker3

Aug 4, 2014
Visit site
I don't love it.. But then again it is just a phone eh.

As to how happy I am with it. Hugely. I came from a 920 and battery life is slightly less but not an issue. Everything else is spot on for me. I use an iphone for work and the 930 is just better in every way other than the email app. When win 10 comes along and we get an equivalent of outlook on the iPhone then it'll be perfect.

Glance was am issue but I now just double tap the screen and get the same info.

The big win for me is the camera. It stomps on my work iphone camera so can be used to replace a compact digital.

I just like the win os only a 1520 would be an option and it is just to big for me.

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
For me the 930 is a perfect choice. I always wanted to have some phone with great photo and video recording capabilities and my 930 is just like built for me. If I really had to find some weak point it would be the onboard memory - I would love to have 64 GB. But anyway, I'm really happy with my Nokia.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786