Interop unlocked Lumia 830

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
I was able to interop unlock my Lumia 830 (ATT RM-983) following this guide (thanks ca_guri for pointing me to that). There is at least one other user who was able to deploy the latest WPH Tweaks using WPPowerTools on XDA (note that I was only able to use the WPPowerTools after installation of MS Visual Studio, the light version didn't work with it).

Was able to deploy WPH Tweaks and tweaks work (see below).

wp_ss_20150611_0001.jpg wp_ss_20150611_0002.jpg

Capture1.PNG

I was also able to install IO Explorer - cool!
Using it I was able to confirm that the toggle to save maps to SDCard works (MapData)

wp_ss_20150612_0001.jpg

GoodDayToDie's webserver
Capture2.PNG

Link to Lumia 830 (RM-983) data.bin that I made following the instructions and that worked for me.

(edit: note that a number of things are working (e.g. saving maps to SDCard, applying custom HOSTS file for adblocking etc) but there are also a number of apps that do not work at all or crash. Those have to be optimized for Lumias in the future (e.g. IO Explorer crashes when going to Settings, or AppDataManager crashes) )

edit1: AppDataManager does not crash if you install with App Deployment tool from SDK 8.0. Now you can make backups (islolated storage) for many apps.

Last edited:

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I was able to interop unlock my Lumia 830 (ATT RM-983) following this guide (thanks ca_guri for pointing me to that). There is at least one other user who was able to deploy the latest WPH Tweaks using WPPowerTools on XDA (note that I was only able to use the WPPowerTools after installation of MS Visual Studio, the light version didn't work with it).

Was able to deploy WPH Tweaks and tweaks work (see below).

View attachment 106300 View attachment 106301

View attachment 106307

I was also able to install IO Explorer - cool!
Using it I was able to confirm that the toggle to save maps to SDCard works (MapData)

View attachment 106312

I will upload the data.bin file for the L830 later today.

Link to Lumia 830 (RM-983) data.bin that I made following the instructions and that worked for me.

(edit: note that a number of things are working (e.g. saving maps to SDCard, applying custom HOSTS file for adblocking etc) but there are also a number of apps that do not work at all or crash. Those have to be optimized for Lumias in the future (e.g. IO Explorer crashes when going to Settings, or AppDataManager crashes) )

Omg that looks so cool!! I have to try and mod my phone now I know how to tweak the reg.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
OK, I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, so I've don some reading on this to find out what you get.

About all I can find is maybe adding some extra live tiles, changing color schemes, adding google to search engines.

What are the possibilities - why would I want to do this?

Thanks much

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
OK, I know I'm not the sharpest tool in the shed, so I've don some reading on this to find out what you get.

About all I can find is maybe adding some extra live tiles, changing color schemes, adding google to search engines.

What are the possibilities - why would I want to do this?

Thanks much
see my note above. You are correct that this is NOT what we were used to with interop unlock on WP7. There are limitations, especially with Lumias since most of the hacks were written for the Samsung Ativ. There may be more coming. For me the two more important pieces are saving maps to SDCard and custom HOSTS file for adblocking. I am sure that developers will find ways to come up with more useful hacks for Lumia 830s. Backing up game data would be nice. Or backing up entire sets of applications with data would be useful for hard resets. Folks with issues of their physical buttons can set a registry key to enable a virtual navigation bar.. etc.

so, if you are expecting to do cool things with your phone after you are done - don't do it
if you just want to hack your phone because you can, go for it...

edit1: as for app data backup. AppData Manager is working if you install with App Deployment tool from SDK 8.0. Now you can make backups (islolated storage) for many apps, including games.

Last edited:

poken1151

Oct 30, 2012
Visit site
short answer is no. two different animals.

Shoot, was hoping for a regedit to just clear that carrier unlock. Everytime I enter the unlock code from ATT, it says Sim Error.

I also tried following the tutorial, but the Rom Rebuilder section fails for me. The app installs fine, but when I tap "Backup" it immediately gives the massage "Failed :(". Did you run into this?

Got it, forgot the step about making the Dirs on the phone SD. Lets see if I can finish up.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Shoot, was hoping for a regedit to just clear that carrier unlock. Everytime I enter the unlock code from ATT, it says Sim Error.
...Rom Rebuilder section fails for me. "Backup" ... "Failed".
I was not able to get rombuilder to create a backup until I did a soft reset, even with the folders in place.
But if you have the ATT Lumia 830 (RM-983) you can use my data.bin above.

good luck

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I successfully got an alternate splash screen to show using the "CustomWPSystem" hack described here: http://forums.windowscentral.com/samsung-ativ-s/353229-[guide]-how-update-8-1-2-a.html

There is a tool in the modified P4D reg access that details how to swap splash screens. On boot, instead of seeing the AT&T screen I see this custom screen I made:

Splash001.png

It doesn't show me a custom shut down screen though.

I'm thinking of doubling down and adding the WPH Tweaks hack to my 830. I just need to get some time to install it.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
There is a tool in the modified P4D reg access that details how to swap splash screens. On boot, instead of seeing the AT&T screen I see this custom screen I made:
It doesn't show me a custom shut down screen though.
thanks, that worked - cool.
Here is one I quickly put together ;)
ATT splasha.png

Last edited:

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
​FYI, folks who updated to W10 Preview 10136 were able to stay interop unlocked (I saw two on XDA). I am still testing my Band with my L520 on 10136 to make sure it works fine before I do that with my L830. So far it looks promising.

PS: I do not recommend updating the L520 to W10 at moment. It's slow as molasses

snooper88

Aug 14, 2015
Visit site
Hello, could you explain how you got WPH Tweaks deployed and working? I managed to have it deployed but when I open the app I get the message that the app needs to have root privileges and I have no idea how to do it.. Any help please?

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Hello, could you explain how you got WPH Tweaks deployed and working? I managed to have it deployed but when I open the app I get the message that the app needs to have root privileges and I have no idea how to do it.. Any help please?
The easiest way to get interop unlock is to use this method on XDA. Then use this registry tweaker instead of WPH Tweaks. It has all the tweaks of WPH Tweaks and then some. It worked on my L830 and still works on my L640XL. The tweaks should still work without actual root access.
cheers

Last edited:

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05