Can I get some help with my Nokia Lumia 1020 autofocus problem?

Nvrmndryo

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Nokia Lumia 1020 autofocus problem !

When I start any camera app on my Lumia 1020 the picture is blurry , When I push the camera button in it attempts to focus. .I am facing no issues on closeup images but when I try to focus on distant object it tries to focus but it does not lock on that and image comes blurry . I can click pictures around 3 feet near but after than I cannot focus anything .same with the video ,video is not clear its blurry most of the time . In manual mode if i set to infinite still its blurry . I did factory reset but no difference . I am on win 8.1 latest update .

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
Re: Nokia Lumia 1020 autofocus problem !

Exact same here.

I just bought a used 1020, I played with it at first and focus was not a problem until I updated the phone.

The screen is so much better than my 830, as well as speed (less "loading" & "resuming"), and I had planned on the 1020 replacing it... but with the camera being useless, it's not a good replacement.

I've downloaded other camera apps and some focus correctly, even the Microsoft Camera focuses (sometimes), however none of them are in DNG/RAW, full resolution.

Nvrmndryo

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
Re: Nokia Lumia 1020 autofocus problem !

Exact same here.

I just bought a used 1020, I played with it at first and focus was not a problem until I updated the phone.

The screen is so much better than my 830, as well as speed (less "loading" & "resuming"), and I had planned on the 1020 replacing it... but with the camera being useless, it's not a good replacement.

I've downloaded other camera apps and some focus correctly, even the Microsoft Camera focuses (sometimes), however none of them are in DNG/RAW, full resolution.

well , I tried few apps like camera 360 but even that doesn't focus images more than 3 feet.I did factory reset and everything but no change .so today I gave my phone to Nokia care , lets see what they say ,I'll get the report tomorrow.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Are all of you trying to take a photo of something distant at low lighting conditions, or something that doesn't have much details on it (such as a clear blue sky)? If yes, then it has been known that most digital cameras that do not have an infrared proximity and focusing aid cannot focus easily on such types of subjects. Auto-focus through software edge-detection can't work when the edges cannot be identified easily (e.g. dark conditions, not crisp subjects) or when there are no edges at all (e.g. clear sky).

Nvrmndryo

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
no , i couldnt even focus the object which is 10 feet far from me . i gave phone to Nokia care n they said my phone's pcb - main board need to be replaced so i sold the phone.now ill get refurbished from ebay.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
no , i couldnt even focus the object which is 10 feet far from me . i gave phone to Nokia care n they said my phone's pcb - main board need to be replaced so i sold the phone.now ill get refurbished from ebay.

This is very interesting! The service center also said the same thing about my L1020, that the main board needs to be replaced. But I had an entirely different problem than yours - my L1020 had a boot error (it won't boot up properly), so their diagnosis about replacing the board sounds logical. Not sure if a phone can even boot up if there's a problem with the main board, and clearly you can still work your way towards the camera app.

Nonetheless, I hope the refurbished one you're getting would be a lot better. Share with us some photos when it arrives. :cool:

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
What made you certain about this?

Extensive tests and research.

I've tried nearly every camera app available, and the camera can focus on an object at just the right distance (which seems to change randomly) - but after acquiring focus, if you move the phone the camera attempts to refocus and the hardware goes nuts. You can hear it moving sporadically and making it of the norm clicking noises.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Extensive tests and research.

I've tried nearly every camera app available, and the camera can focus on an object at just the right distance (which seems to change randomly) - but after acquiring focus, if you move the phone the camera attempts to refocus and the hardware goes nuts. You can hear it moving sporadically and making it of the norm clicking noises.

What you're certain about is that something is going terribly wrong with the camera in your phone, and that it happened after an update. Whether it is software level or hardware level is still uncertain - unless you could dismantle the camera module and test it extensively like in a service center.

Isn't it possible that the focus issue is at a software level, especially because that started to happen after an update? Did your extensive tests and research lead you to using the Lumia Software Recovery Tool or Windows Phone Recovery Tool?

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
What you're certain about is that something is going terribly wrong with the camera in your phone, and that it happened after an update. Whether it is software level or hardware level is still uncertain - unless you could dismantle the camera module and test it extensively like in a service center.

Isn't it possible that the focus issue is at a software level, especially because that started to happen after an update? Did your extensive tests and research lead you to using the Lumia Software Recovery Tool or Windows Phone Recovery Tool?

I rreally don't like your tone and don't see the point of it. I don't have the time or will to go through a drawn out full explanation... but yes, I used the recovery tool, downgraded the software and still had the issue.

It is a hardware problem.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I rreally don't like your tone and don't see the point of it. I don't have the time or will to go through a drawn out full explanation... but yes, I used the recovery tool, downgraded the software and still had the issue.

It is a hardware problem.

My apologies for my tone, as a lot is "lost" in the absence of direct contact in communication (another forum member pointed that one out). What I hoped for is that my intention to open possible solutions/findings will have helped you and the others who may be experiencing the same problem. It would be pretty scary/frustrating for some to immediately read that the problem is a definite hardware failure. Surely yours could be hardware-level, but that doesn't mean everyone else's is.

Also, I can only read what has been written... as far as this internet-based communication goes; there's no normal way for me to have known what was done beyond what was written.

So the/my point is now clear: I was soliciting clear and concise information from what you've done. I was expecting a bit of a more level-headed response from you, though. Nonetheless, the information I was looking for is now set in black and white, and let's hope that what has been said, emotions aside, would help those who would be reading this in the future.

When you come across other useful information or solutions, please do share.

Nvrmndryo

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I wanted to ask you all who are using Lumia 1020 now , Are you facing any issues with the camera ?Like I did on focus ? or any issues with latest update .Reason I am asking as I said I will be buying refurbished 1020 , And I haven't used good 1020 (i had problem with autofocus as u know).

Last edited:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
I wanted to ask you all who are using Lumia 1020 now , Are you facing any issues with the camera ?Like I did on focus ? or any issues with latest update .Reason I am asking as I said I will be buying refurbished 1020 , And I haven't used good 1020 (my had problem with autofocus as u know).

Some users, as seen above, are experiencing some issues with the Camera in the L1020. I've encountered a different issue only once since the day it was returned after being repaired (strange horizontal streaks across a photo), but no severe issues so far (no freezing camera, no whirring noises, no strange clacking sounds, no OIS convulsions).

My L1020 doesn't seem to have any problems with auto focus since it can focus on almost any object easily (except for those described in post #4). I also haven't noticed any significant issues after the latest "critical" update. My L1020 still rebooted on it's own a few hours ago, so the critical update designed to fix that didn't seem to have an encompassing effect.

As an added information, my L1020 died and was repaired a few months ago - the board was replaced entirely. This may account for my relatively better experience with the L1020 now compared to other L1020 users whose L1020's have not yet been repaired or refurbished. There is a chance therefore that a refurbished L1020 may perform better than the untouched/unrepaired versions, but that also means that the refurbishing could have made the unit worse than it should.

I'd suggest getting a refurbished one only if you can be given some form of warranty for it for an acceptable period of time... especially since you're planning to get one from e-bay.

Nvrmndryo

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
I will be buying phone from ebay , and its giving me 30 days return warranty , So I guess thats good .
Right now Yellow color which I want is not available so I am waiting .Thanks fro reply .I am eager to see pictures clicked by your phone if you can provide the link or upload your personal best pics.

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Yellow is too bright for me, got a black one instead. :wink:

Yeah, the 30 days sounds good - not as long as the warranty for brand new units, but it's better than nothing. Just make sure to break in your phone thoroughly within the first 30 days.

Hmm, the L1020 has a good camera, but it also takes a "good eye" to take a good photo. :wink:

A lot of fellow L1020 users have uploaded some of their shots in the L1020 Pic/Vic thread - you can check it out anytime. The range in the quality of photos is quite large (from ordinary shots to really good ones), but in average I'd still say the L1020 takes better photos than most camera phones out there.

If you need those from me specifically, I've got an Instagram account for that, but I'm not a professional yet. :cool:

Nvrmndryo

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
by the way I am getting Lumia 1520 at same price as L1020 .How is the camera difference between these two ? i know there is pixel difference , but What about quality ? Is it huge difference ?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
by the way I am getting Lumia 1520 at same price as L1020 .How is the camera difference between these two ? i know there is pixel difference , but What about quality ? Is it huge difference ?

Hmmm... I don't own an L1520. But to answer your question, we must first define what you mean by "quality". To some this means detail recovery. Others may think of it as how much clarity is recovered from magnification or digital zoom. While to some, it may be how the entire photograph looks like - color balance, composition, light sensitivity, etc.

For most purposes, I'd say that there is no much difference between the camera of those two. The only difference should be in the amount of detail that can be recovered, considering that the L1020 has twice the resolution of the L1520... so unless you're into digital zooming and detail recovery, the L1520 should meet most of your camera needs.

Nvrmndryo

Jun 15, 2015
Visit site
yes by the quality I meant Details,Sharpness and loss less zoom .I asked this question because in 1520 Ill be getting bigger screen , better processor in same price. But its just a thought I probably won't go for L1520,because for good smartphone I have Samsung note 2 ,L1020 is pure camera use,

mikepalma

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
I switched from 1020 to 1520. The 1520 is so much better overall. Specific to the camera, the app loads in an instant versus a looooong load time for the 1020. So I missed so many shots w 1020. Also the 1020 always had the well documented yellow effect on indoor photos. The quality is a little better on 1020 if u print 8x10s, but really not a huge difference. The missing shots and ugly "yellowing" made me hate 1020, and now love 1520

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
vascro