2nd mic fail (conspiracy theory)

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
I agree, denim did broke the mic. but as soon as the mics are broken, there is no software solution. you need to physically change the mics. so its a hardware problem. no software can magically fix a broken mic.

Well, that was just ironic post by me, I do not believe in software destruction of microphones.
Looking at their location on the 930 mainboard, I feel more like they loose contact with mainboard because of soldering points crack. Both are located close to HP jack and maybe by moving hp jack when inserted in the socket, the connection can be broken ? This might be the explanation.

Another thing is that now after my phone is back, I feel that "double tap to wake" is working flawlessly all the time. Before the repair, it was working more like "triple tap to wake". Taking this into account I also feel that the microphone problem might have something in common, maybe bad grounding on the mainboard ? (this could give similar effects - improper screen sensitivity and microphone signal level incorrections).

Anyway... I love my 930 :winktongue:

deepak12345

Apr 11, 2015
Visit site
For me the mics have not totally failed.... I know because I put surround sound on and record in Lumia camera than tap over all 4 mics very softly. All of them get the noice well except the one near the ear piece. The noice is a bit lower there. Its been like that since the day I updated to denim. So we cant say that it totally kills the mic.

bluekalo

Mar 4, 2015
Visit site
Confirmed - Hardware Defect (mics 3 and 4)

symptom - on some l930 after denim update, no speaker calls, cant record anything (WhatsApp, audio notes) video recording only have right audio channel. portrait video has no sound

Cause - unknown

Has Microsoft Officially Address The Issue - no

Has any reliable Microsoft Rep say what are the measures they are taking to rectify this - no

(for people with the same issue) are we getting what we pay for? - no

EDIT 4 - received a brand new phone. MIC PROBLEM STILL PERSISTS. it has been 2 new motherboards + 1 new phone. still having the same problem.... my warranty is for a year but my phone has been spending almost 3 months in repairs. so where does that leave me and everyone that experiences the problem. is it "boohoo too bad you got a ****ty built phone" or "better luck next time". I bought the phone with a sense certainty that it will work flawlessly. its not a gamble where we spend our hard earned money, see whether we got a good phone or a dud. a person like me will never have the resources to take this to the next level by hiring a lawyer and turning this into a class action suit against whoever. I paid for it, I just want my phone to work. is it that hard?

EDIT 3 - my mic 3&4 is dead again. yay. nokia care said that they will have to change the entire "transceiver" which is the entire phone without the lcd and back cover. I hate the fact that nokia care gave me a lumia 520 to use while they fix my phone. its a really (insert swear words here) phone. now I understand why the Indians complains so much about windows phones.

EDIT 2 - still unofficial word from the service centers - huge batch of lumia 930 boards from the china production line was the culprit. for those who sent theirs for repais, most probably you guys got a mobo from Vietnam or other nokia factory.

defect on the motherboard - mic circuitry not properly grounded

EDIT - unofficial word from authorized service center - it is manufacturing defect which affected a huge batch of 930 and other lumia devices. and Microsoft knows this

IS your phone's microphone working right now?

Makubex1980

Apr 15, 2014
Visit site
well the soldering itself is not that hard, and in fact i don't use a soldering iron but a but air station with a small outlet. you just heat up the mic from the bottom to remove and replace it. if you do it from the top you melt the membrane of the mic :/ if you want i can make some pictures from the device i used

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
why would you bother with fixing this on your own if its still under warranty?

If they cannot fix it, there is a law in my country, which says full refund must be made as the device does not work as it should - Clerical error (if I've translated this correctly).

I will wait for official windows phone 10 to come out for L930 then, if its not fixed, its going to the repair.

bells0

Sep 12, 2014
Visit site
So I guess I'd have to buy a 2nd phone whilst mine is in for repair!! Glad we have a 2yr warranty on these in the UK.
posted via tapatalk

QuadraFX

Feb 11, 2013
Visit site
So I guess I'd have to buy a 2nd phone whilst mine is in for repair!! Glad we have a 2yr warranty on these in the UK.
posted via tapatalk

The same goes here for me, in Poland. I think my 930 could die close to the end of the 2yr period... I would gladly accept 950 as an replacement then :D

vodda

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
posted via tapatalk

Isnt there a mandatory time set when repair needs to be done? here its 45 days, anything above that and we have the right to a new fully working device or a new better model.

Chris_Kez

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
I had this issue once I enrolled for W10 insider program and installed initial windows 10 builds. Can any one confirm?
I can only confirm that I've had this mic problem before, during and after W10M. And I'm not happy about being jerked around by Microsoft Mobile in the States.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99