Thinking of switching from 830 to 640xl. Good or bad idea?

holymell

May 11, 2015
Visit site
You're right, I got rid of a Lumia 925 at the same time and got confused. Got rid of the 1520 because of the ghost taps, 925 because of storage.

WW

How common is the phantom typing on the 1520? Is it only because people manage somehow to put the device in their pocket? I would not like that... But I wouldn't be able to fit something that size in my pocket. Would I still get ghost taps?

holymell

May 11, 2015
Visit site
The ghost tap issue is pervasive enough where it made it to the wiki page.

WW

Ooooh. That's a fairly prominent issue then. Hmmm.... So I guess the 1520 is out. So I'm either sticking with the 830 or switching to the 640 XL. This decision has become ridiculously difficult. If I was completely ignorant of things like camera and sound quality, or specs, this would be much easier. I know it's just a phone, but I love Windows phones! I want to ensure that I've got the best device suited for my needs, especially when I can conduct business on the go. If that's not possible until Windows 10, I might just have to wait.

I do love the build and feel of my 830. It's a beautiful, smooth device. But I would trade that for improved productivity. However, if the Word experience is the same no matter which phone I have, I'll likely keep this one.

When a 640 XL is available to me, I might purchase one to play around with and then return it if it doesn't suit me. This may be my best option.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
The word experienced is definitely going to be the same across all devices. The most larger devices will probably get out of adopted like Word will probably be like an extra toggle it something to take up the extra space the device has

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Ooooh. That's a fairly prominent issue then. Hmmm.... So I guess the 1520 is out. So I'm either sticking with the 830 or switching to the 640 XL. This decision has become ridiculously difficult. If I was completely ignorant of things like camera and sound quality, or specs, this would be much easier. I know it's just a phone, but I love Windows phones! I want to ensure that I've got the best device suited for my needs, especially when I can conduct business on the go. If that's not possible until Windows 10, I might just have to wait.

I do love the build and feel of my 830. It's a beautiful, smooth device. But I would trade that for improved productivity. However, if the Word experience is the same no matter which phone I have, I'll likely keep this one.

When a 640 XL is available to me, I might purchase one to play around with and then return it if it doesn't suit me. This may be my best option.
I am a current 1520 owner. It is a good phone but that touch issue is an annoyance and quite prevalent. YouTube Lumia 1520 touch issues
I am ccontemplating the 640 xl and the 830 like you are. I'd say get the xl overall because aside from a few camera differences, the 640 has some benefits over the 830 and who knows it may be a blast using it with windows 10

holymell

May 11, 2015
Visit site
I am a current 1520 owner. It is a good phone but that touch issue is an annoyance and quite prevalent. YouTube Lumia 1520 touch issues
I am ccontemplating the 640 xl and the 830 like you are. I'd say get the xl overall because aside from a few camera differences, the 640 has some benefits over the 830 and who knows it may be a blast using it with windows 10

After reading through all the advice here, I think I've decided to keep my 830, or at least try the XL before committing to it.

I know the differences are minimal. The large screen of the XL does appeal to me, but my 830 is a decent sized phone. Plenty for me 😊

This is really superficial, but the thing I enjoy the most about the 830 is how pretty it is. Very well built device. And it feels good to use! If the XL had the same look and feel, I would definitely buy it. But it isn't as pretty as the 830. I'm still considering it, but for now, I'm happy with what I have.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I wish the 830 had the FFC of the 640 XL because it truly is a beautiful phone(After the 930/icon, it is the prettiest windows phone to date, imo).

So for me it is a bit of a mixed bag...I like the 640 XL design but the 830 looks so much more....premium to me.
But yeah you gotta do what's best for you. I am just glad that in 2015, we have such amazing choices...in the early windows phone 8 days(and even in WP7 days) our choices were so sparse and minimal and now we have two amazing phones to choose from.

Presently I am deciding now between Lumia 930, Lumia 830, Lumia 640 or changing it up(highly unlikely) and going with the Blu Win HD Lte.

You may want to look into the Win HD lte as well if you are looking at the 640 XL and 830.
After reading through all the advice here, I think I've decided to keep my 830, or at least try the XL before committing to it.

I know the differences are minimal. The large screen of the XL does appeal to me, but my 830 is a decent sized phone. Plenty for me ��

This is really superficial, but the thing I enjoy the most about the 830 is how pretty it is. Very well built device. And it feels good to use! If the XL had the same look and feel, I would definitely buy it. But it isn't as pretty as the 830. I'm still considering it, but for now, I'm happy with what I have.

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
You forgot to mention that 1520 is almost 50 grams heavier. Thats my big problem with it.

Also considering that the 640 XL is going to be around $200, be aware that $200 is also the common price of a 1520 in excellent condition these days...

The 1520 is the better device by far

But with the 640xl your getting a device that is much newer, and you'll be covered in case of defect.

While with the 1520 you'll have to be lucky to get a red, white, yellow, or black still in warranty, but the green model (released this past fall) hasn't even been available for sale a whole year yet, so those will all most likely be in warranty, which will be a big bonus in case you encounter "ghost taps", but as long as you don't put your 1520 in your front pocket then you'll most likely never encounter them

-same price while being better in every way (unless of course being .3 inches bigger is uncomfortable for you)
-Will need to get green in order to have a warranty
-will be Used unless you want to dish out an extra $50 for a brand new one
-you'll need to keep it out of your front pocket

640xl
-newer so you're guaranteed warranty & support
-more comfortable size
-lower specs and quality ( judging by the fact that it is a budget device)

Jakoh

Apr 9, 2012
Visit site
I been thinking about getting 640 XL when it comes out on ATT.
Is this phone camera really not that good? Things i need are a decent camera, battery life and large screen.

a5cent

Nov 3, 2011
Visit site
I been thinking about getting 640 XL when it comes out on ATT.
Is this phone camera really not that good? Things i need are a decent camera, battery life and large screen.

There are quite a few reviews on the web with sample images. It's best to take a look and make up your own mind. Based on those images, I'd say the camera takes decent pictures. Compared to the models with OIS the L640XL performs worse in low light and video recordings have more jitter, but for daytime pictures with sufficient lighting the results are fine. Not great, but definitely above average in its price class.

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte