Lumia 735 or Icon?

BytorJr

Nov 18, 2012
Visit site
Not trying to beat a dead horse but a few questions.
1) Doesn't the 735 offer HD Voice on Verizon?
2) Is it more probable the 735 will have Windows 10 than the Icon - in other words, will Verizon update to Windows 10 (or allow it?). I'm still a little confused if the whole MSFT will provide the updates to devices on Windows 10 is going to come to fruition or not.

I'm on the fence between this phone and an icon until a really nice Windows 10 phone comes out. Heck, I've even toyed with the idea of picking the LG up instead and only outlaying 129 until I know what the future of Windows 10 phones are and when (if ever) Verizon will offer them.

anon(5061193)

Oct 25, 2014
Visit site
Not trying to beat a dead horse but a few questions.
1) Doesn't the 735 offer HD Voice on Verizon?
2) Is it more probable the 735 will have Windows 10 than the Icon - in other words, will Verizon update to Windows 10 (or allow it?). I'm still a little confused if the whole MSFT will provide the updates to devices on Windows 10 is going to come to fruition or not.

I'm on the fence between this phone and an icon until a really nice Windows 10 phone comes out. Heck, I've even toyed with the idea of picking the LG up instead and only outlaying 129 until I know what the future of Windows 10 phones are and when (if ever) Verizon will offer them.

I have a friend in the same boat.. He is currently using a Blackberry and an Ipad and he wants to make the switch to a Surface Pro 3 and a Windows phone, but is not sure if he should wait or just to see what pans out with Windows 10....

Tyranade

Oct 23, 2014
Visit site
I got both 735 and 930. I prefer the 735 and going to put the 930 on eBay. The 735 lightweight, hard wearing and have survived drops face down on my tiled kitchen floor. It runs like a dream and I regularly watch Netflix on it. The battery life is fantastic. The one thing I like better on the 930 is the camera, it's fantastic. It's however heavy and by experience I know that the chances of the screen surviving a drop on the kitchen floor is slim. The battery will barely last you through the day.
I absolutely love the 735 and will probably choose a similar phone when its time to swap. :)

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
I have used a Verizon 735 for the past few months and so far I've been satisfied with it. It does all the stuff I need and want from a phone. I like the size, the built in wireless charging, expandable memory and battery life.

BTW, the Verizon 735 has 16 GB of internal storage, not 8.

No major dislikes for so far but I'm not a "power user". I'm finding that for a sub $200.00 phone, the 735 is a pretty good deal. The camera is ok and build quality seems pretty good as well. If your needs tend towards the more basic, the 735 should be just fine.

FiveHorizons88

Oct 9, 2015
Visit site
How does the battery life really compare between the Icon and 735? I am a moderate user, texting, Instagram, a few pictures, and a bit of web browsing throughout the day. While at home I do rely on my phone quite a bit especially while using my phone as a Hot Spot (I live out in the sticks and don't have access to high speed internet so I rely on my LTE - Please don't make fun of me for that!!) but I usually have my phone charging while using the hot spot. For anyone that has used the hot spot tethering on the phones, does one work better than the other?

thanks!

nmercy

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I'm not sure how the battery life compares, but if I didn't charge mine and didn't stream netflix at night to my HD-10 (I live in semi-sticks where Time Warner comes to the end of the street but no further), it would last at least from wake up to bed time and probably even longer. When I wasn't charging it and watching netflix, it was lasting about 4 hours of the heavy usage.

I find it to be on par powerwise with my old 8x, which was a top of the line phone at the time. Streaming to the HD-10 does stutter occasionally, but if I turn off bluetooth, that becomes very minimal. The only other issues I've had with it is Drive+ getting stuck and freezing (latest Drive+ update seems to have fixed it) and when I make a phone call my data drops to 1x (may not be existent at that point).

wobailey

Nov 23, 2015
Visit site
Tough time for me this as I was finally off contract with ATT jumped to Verizon with joy. Joy turned to some pain when I tried to like the Lumia 735 ... mainly because it in no way will replace my Lumia 1520 (sadly..going on ebay tomorrow) so I can grab an Icon.

Horrible experience trying to get it setup with Office 365 and basic mail .... and it times out when loading the page for Office365 ... once it connects...when it does...I have to keep checking mail every few minutes or it seems to lose connection all together. :crying:You CANNOT delete the main Outllook account once setup (which blows if it does not work...i.e, times out syncing email) so you have to do a complete RESET on the phone and start from scratch (3d time was a charm...and oops wiped the SD card while it was at it). I did keep in mind that coming from the most awesome windows phone ever ...1520 ... that the 735 would just need to do the bare necessities...and it squeaks by on those. Ran into a friend running Win10 on Icon and has had no problems. My 1520 was my desktop/laptop away from home ... and I'm not going back to AT&T for any amount of $.

735 may be great if all you want is webmail, search, weather, phone, msg, photos (did I mention there is no camera button?) ... I am headed for the first affordable Icon I can find ... especially since Microsoft hosed themselves and won't be distributing new 950/950XL to VZ any time soon.:crying:

mortici

Sep 18, 2013
Visit site
After owning 2 Icon's, the 735 is the way to go. Its the better 640 essentially. I couldn't be happier, some consider it an downgrade, I think its a major upgrade. I started to hate the Icon....

Also, colors. Its like the 920 but modern :D.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss