The critical update from Windows.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Update on search for solution....

My post at MS Support got responses and another suggestion from a MS moderator (remove SIM and SD card and retry) but that did not work

FIX (for me at least)...
Getting desperate to avoid a complete reset to Day 1 of device....and not thinking it was a User storage space issue (I had 2.24GB free space)....

I tried removing my entire Music folder contents from the Phone to the Desktop to free up even more space (5.5 GB free). Results: for the first time in many update attempts I actually saw indication of progress on 'gears spinning' stage. It did stall at 50% or so for a long time and then finally rebooted. Migration of Data stalled at 0% for a long time but finally proceeded thru all 21 steps. Ending with a successful update. A re-check for updates indicated 'up-to-date'.

So this worked for me, give it a try for those who are experiencing this error.
Hope this helps others out.

Sher Allen

Jul 13, 2013
Visit site
Is anyone else experiencing an issue updating apps along with not being able to install this update?

I have a user who is having issues trying to do the update and is also not able to download updates for apps as well. I was wondering if they were related issues.

Andreasjva

Jun 22, 2015
Visit site
Same problem here. HTC 8XT. Moved stuff, reset my phone, etc. Nothing. Won't install the update. Repeated error 80188308. Very fricken annoying. Out of ideas. DON'T WASTE YOUR TIME RESETTING YOUR PHONE, NO MATTER WHO TELLS YOU. No difference.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Just a quick update from the Microsoft Support forum thread on this reboot update issue...
0x80188308 error at Critical Update for phone reboot issue - Microsoft Community

A Microsoft forum moderator has posted.....
---------------------------------------
Mike Mongeau replied on June 22, 2015

Microsoft Forum Moderator

Thanks to all who have raised this issue for our awareness and attention.
While some of the suggested work arounds may work for some, I recognize that these steps aren't working for everyone.
Microsoft is actively looking into this problem, and I will reply back when I have more information to share.
-------------------------------------

So Microsoft is now aware of the issue and is looking into it for a resolution. Some hope for those still unable to update. Hang in there guys.

Kavu2

Dec 21, 2012
Visit site
Update from the Microsoft Support forum.....
0x80188308 error at Critical Update for phone reboot issue - Microsoft Community
----------------------------------------
Mike Mongeau replied on June 22, 2015

Microsoft Forum Moderator

Update (6/23):

Hey everyone - so here's the situation so far. First, we know why you are failing with this error. As many of you have correctly identified, the issue is related to lack of system partition space; a storage area of the phone you can't manage directly, for the most part. Performing actions like a hard reset or even restarting, etc. can influence the overall size of what's taking up space there and is why some of you have reported success by doing those things.

Second, we're republishing the mandatory update as a prerequisite "hard stop". Meaning, it'll download and install by itself first instead of as a co-install with other update(s), which some of you may have been receiving. Since the update is very small in size this way, we expect it'll increase the success rate dramatically. However...

The update you already have downloaded may stay on your phone for up to five days before it 'times out' and you can go and re-check for the update we are actively republishing. Performing a hard reset would also allow for this more immediately, of course, but many of you may choose to wait and see how it goes when your phone re-pulls the update after the 'time out' period.

That all said, future updates or other existing and pending updates that are larger in size may still fall into the same situation you are currently experiencing. The issue with the system partition space getting filled unnecessarily is something Microsoft has worked with HTC on in the past, as other phones aren't necessarily afflicted by the same, and will continue to look into this.
---------------------------------------------------

Hang in there guys

udy7000

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
My phone too reboots several times every day, so the update made a difference after all... from a reboot once, or twice a week.

Van-Nam Nguyen

Jun 1, 2014
Visit site
After browsing the newest build for windows 10 preview through windows central I checked for an update and its downloading!(not sure tho if its 10!)
I'll keep an update soon as the reboot finishes 😊

husze

Jun 26, 2015
Visit site
Guys you can see more info with app called "Hardware Tests" about windows phone updates installed.
At bottom system information->phone updates. Then it shows list of updates with date installed and number of packages.
If you tap on some update shows more info.

My phone have enabled developer preview, and enrolled insider fast for windows 10 preview.

So for the last update from today/yesterday it shows this:

Owner Component Sub Lng Version
Microsoft MS_PROJECTA MainOS 8.15.12648.133

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb