[L640] Noticed something strange?

dashauns

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
I had a fortunate accident that landed me not only a lumia 640 from tmobiles website, but also a prepaid version from Walmart. Now I used the prepaid version first and my postpaid one arrived yesterday. In the software, specifically pertaining to the navbar and touch functions, on the prepaid one there is an arrow on the far left of the navbar which is how you hide the navbar and you have double tap to wake but no double tap to wake but no double tap to shut the screen off. On my postpaid version, like the international you swipe up from the bottom to hide or show the navbar, there is no arrow on the left, and you can double tap the navbar to shut the screen off. Otherwise both function identically wifi calling and volte working fine on both. Checked for updates on both and both appear to be up to date.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
So if I understand you correctly:

On Prepaid, arrow on left in navbar which you use to hide navbar and you double tap screen to wake up, but no double tap to shut off screen.
On Postpaid, you swipe up from bottom to hide or show the navbar and there is no arrow on the left. You double tap the navbar to shut off the screen.

I have the Prepaid version with the arrow on the navbar, and I can both hide and show the navbar by swiping from the bottom. I figured there must be a setting for turning the screen off by tapping, and sure enough there is a toggle under settings->navigation bar->Double-tap on Nav bar. Setting this to on enables this. Not sure about the missing arrow on the left of your postpaid one though. I thought that had to be there to exit an app?

Perhaps it's simply the defaults are different?

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site
you said you checked for updates.. but did you actually check the software version of each and compare them? you might want to check and see if one shipped with newer firmware.

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site
as for the little arrow to hide the nav bar.. thats in the same place as rgv521 mentioned... toggle "swipe to hide the nav bar"

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
as for the little arrow to hide the nav bar.. thats in the same place as rgv521 mentioned... toggle "swipe to hide the nav bar"
Now I see what you meant by an arrow to the far left. Since mine was already turned on, I was thinking you meant the left pointing arrow to go back to previous screen, when you were actually on about an inverted caret symbol! I was thinking it odd that you'd be able to disable a crucial navigation icon lol

dashauns

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Now I see what you meant by an arrow to the far left. Since mine was already turned on, I was thinking you meant the left pointing arrow to go back to previous screen, when you were actually on about an inverted caret symbol! I was thinking it odd that you'd be able to disable a crucial navigation icon lol

LOL yea, and my prepaid one had no option for double tap to turn off I checked navbar settings and every else for that matter, and the one from tmobile doesn't have touch settings so I can turn off the navbar buttons vibrating, I will see if I can push the settings with sysapp pusher. I have to ask my friend about the software versions, I dint get a chance to check before I sold it to him.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
LOL yea, and my prepaid one had no option for double tap to turn off I checked navbar settings and every else for that matter, and the one from tmobile doesn't have touch settings so I can turn off the navbar buttons vibrating, I will see if I can push the settings with sysapp pusher. I have to ask my friend about the software versions, I dint get a chance to check before I sold it to him.

Generally that's the first thing you do and second thing you do is take screenshots :winktongue: (but maybe that's just me lol).

Also curious to see the difference in software versions... as it seems from what you have described carriers can't help but meddle with the o/s out habbit lol - just to make life difficult for their users.

luMia630

Nov 6, 2014
Visit site
Hi can I please ask you for a favour since you have two Lumia 640, did you encounter this strange micro stuttering when scrolling with your finger continuously on the screen? Its most noticeable when you try slowly swipe from start screen to your list of apps without lifting your finger off the screen. Can you please look at it on both your phones if at least one have it? I have this issue on my Lumia 640 and also on my previous 630 so I though that its just how Lumia displays work but there are people who claim they don't have it on their phones. Thank you :smile:

dashauns

Dec 8, 2011
Visit site
Hi can I please ask you for a favour since you have two Lumia 640, did you encounter this strange micro stuttering when scrolling with your finger continuously on the screen? Its most noticeable when you try slowly swipe from start screen to your list of apps without lifting your finger off the screen. Can you please look at it on both your phones if at least one have it? I have this issue on my Lumia 640 and also on my previous 630 so I though that its just how Lumia displays work but there are people who claim they don't have it on their phones. Thank you :smile:

I don't believe my scolling animations are at 60fps but I didn't seem to have any of the jittery scrolling exhibited in the video I watched. Maybe an app or something you installed. I also noticed that after a factory reset it takes some time for the phone to settle in, the settings are identical in both the prepaid and postpaid models, all of the toggles weren't working or the settings didn't appear immediately after a reset.

Sedp23

May 6, 2015
Visit site
Can u check out the tethering speeds on both of those? I have the walmart one and swapped it out twice it tethers slow speeds to my xbox one and struggles to launch Xbox music and stream songs. I have my old 635 I put the same sim card in it and it tethers to the Xbox one fine and launches Xbox music and streams songs no problem

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos