Installed insider Windows 10 on my Lumia 720 and now it's bricked, how can I unbrick it?

• Thread starter Windows Central Question
  • Start date
W

Windows Central Question

installed insider windows 10 on lumia 720, and now it's bricked

downloaded the file, and clicked on install, just like every other update, phone restarted and went to that spinning gears screen, then it stays there for 15 seconds and reboots, tried soft and hard reset, soft reset just brings it back to that screen and the process starts again

hard reset is impossible because when it was supposed to appear a exclamation while i hold volume down button it simply restarts the phone, and gets in a restart loop of 2 seconds while i hold the button, if i release it, it will go to the gears screen and restart after 15 seconds

if i plug it to pc it doesn't recognize and it powers it on and goes to gears screen, just to restart again like i said, so i can't use the recovery tool.

tldr: windows 10 bricked my phone to the point of no return, and it's not on warranty anymore, gg

aximtreo

Jul 14, 2008
Visit site
Re: installed insider windows 10 on lumia 720, and now it's bricked

Can you power it down?

If so, try a soft reset (volume down + power button for about 15 seconds or until you feel the second vibration) I doubt this will help but it's the only thing I could think of.

Let us know how it goes.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

downloaded the file, and clicked on install, just like every other update, phone restarted and went to that spinning gears screen, then it stays there for 15 seconds and reboots, tried soft and hard reset, soft reset just brings it back to that screen and the process starts again

hard reset is impossible because when it was supposed to appear a exclamation while i hold volume down button it simply restarts the phone, and gets in a restart loop of 2 seconds while i hold the button, if i release it, it will go to the gears screen and restart after 15 seconds

if i plug it to pc it doesn't recognize and it powers it on and goes to gears screen, just to restart again like i said, so i can't use the recovery tool.

tldr: windows 10 bricked my phone to the point of no return, and it's not on warranty anymore, gg

If all else fails jtag it. Technical preview is a bit like roulette isn't it? Sorry this happened to you.

Arthur Oechsler

Apr 26, 2013
Visit site

soft reset only forces the restart early, it's in a loop, i can't remove the battery because it's the lumia 720, well, i knew the risks, but just letting everyone know that **** CAN go wrong, even for "advanced users", it's not my first update or beta build ever, i've done this a lot, but remember that a phone is not a computer where you can just format your SSD and start over guys.

Yazen

Banned
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

soft reset only forces the restart early, it's in a loop, i can't remove the battery because it's the lumia 720, well, i knew the risks, but just letting everyone know that **** CAN go wrong, even for "advanced users", it's not my first update or beta build ever, i've done this a lot, but remember that a phone is not a computer where you can just format your SSD and start over guys.

Yeah, you have to recover using the phones jtag interface.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon