640 vs 920 (or 925)

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Regarding my grips with IE on my 925, for anyone curious I bit the bullet and installed the Dev Preview of Windows 10 (the latest). There's bugs, but Spartan/Edge browsing is now WAY faster. Like night & day.

Anyone tried the latest 10 build on their 640?

agaskew

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Regarding my grips with IE on my 925, for anyone curious I bit the bullet and installed the Dev Preview of Windows 10 (the latest). There's bugs, but Spartan/Edge browsing is now WAY faster. Like night & day.

Anyone tried the latest 10 build on their 640?

Not yet - not feeling brave enough! I had it on my 925 for a while but took it off as I dont like the teeny weeny text - not good for my less than fab eyesight. How does 10 run on the 640?

anon(26204)

Feb 24, 2011
Visit site
I tried the windows 10 preview build but after a day or so, I reverted back to 8.1. My reasoning was that I hated the grainy look of the tiles. I know that's minor... But I just couldn't stand it...lol

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
My wife used her 925 for quite some time. She got a 640 on the first day WalMart officially sold them and is carrying it now.

Pluses for the 640: bigger screen, easier to grip, colors seem more accurate and SD card (MAJOR!).

Pluses for the 925: Stunning looks, black-hole blacks, camera button (and capacitance buttons), better pictures (my wife doesn't care).

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm returning the 640 and going back to my 925. It's just better all around. 640 isnt bad, it's just I love the 925 much more.
Don't return it to the store. They will send it to be refurbished/re-certified and end up on the used market sometime down the line. Since they are sold out nationwide (due to people like me who bought four as gifts?), sell it yourself and get more than the store will refund you.

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
I'm keeping my 925 since it's such a great device. So glad I had the presence of mind to get a brand new one before they disappeared.
The 640 is fun for now...

Posted from the ZenFone2 via the WC app for Android

HoosierDaddy

May 28, 2013
Visit site
I'm keeping my 925 since it's such a great device. So glad I had the presence of mind to get a brand new one before they disappeared.
The 640 is fun for now...
The 925 is a classic. When I got my 1520.3 my wife took my 925. Glad she switched to the 640 now because every time I saw her 925, I would think: "Why does my 1520 look so blah in comparison?". I couldn't keep from picking her 925 up and looking at it like some work of art.

We'll be keeping it even when the 640 gets retired someday.

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
New Nokia Lumia 925
Nokia Lumia 925 GSM Unlocked 4G LTE 16GB Windows Smartphone | eBay

Lumia 640 from t-Mobile
Microsoft Lumia 640 Windows Phone | Lumia 640 | T-Mobile

They're about the same price

Essentially just like 830vs640xl

This is a battle of quality vs quantity

The 925 doesn't have as many abilities as the 640, but the abilities it does have are simply perfected and astounding in quality (ex:no micro sd, but amazing camera & screen)

The 640 has more abilities, but a lot of its abilities are poorer. ( ex: micro sd slot &more screen inches, but every inch is less crisp )

Last edited by a moderator:

Blackadder_100

Mar 10, 2014
Visit site
Just ordered a 925 to (hopefully) replace my trusty 720, having previously tried an 830 and been disappointed with Glance and navigation button performance. Looking forward to checking it out 😊

*Update* Received the phone and finished setting it up. Wow, very impressed so far...it's a beautiful device!

Last edited:

jaceot

May 11, 2013
Visit site
Just got my 640 and I love it. It plays games from sd really smoothly. Still setting things up but it feels like an upgrade. Plus, finally one phone for my music and basic needs. I will come back and report how it handles my commuting routine.

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Same here. Camera is terrible compared to 925, but battery life is stellar and performance is great.

Hm, that's unfortunate. I'm not a huge camera snob, but anything lower quality than my 925 & I'll prob have to pass. Remembering that the 920/925 are pretty old phones at this point, I'd at least expect mid tier phones of today to match their cameras. Guess not.

I'm still running the 10 Preview on my 925 & am pretty happy with it. They update it regularly & it's now what I'd call a daily driver. Some bugs & crashing of apps, but it's worth it IMO with the speed gains (esp in browsing).

peestandingup

Aug 24, 2011
Visit site
Do not install W10 on a 9XX hoping Edge is faster than IE! Lol. No way.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Uuhh, well. I disagree. Edge is faster than IE in every way, renders pages better, etc. I'm not the only one who says this & its pretty much fact at this point. But that's just my experience, everyone is welcome to try or don't.

On a related note, Windows 10 Mobile on my 925 also plays nice with my DD-WRT router now with injected network-wide ad blocking. Meaning I get no ads on my Windows Phone now with 10 while at home. With 8.1 it wouldn't work, whereas every other device on my network did (PCs, iOS, etc). This also loads pages way faster.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
Uuhh, well. I disagree. Edge is faster than IE in every way, renders pages better, etc. I'm not the only one who says this & its pretty much fact at this point. But that's just my experience, everyone is welcome to try or don't..

It's not a fact. Many people have noted Edge is slower. I've used both... I wasn't guessing, I gave my experience, and if it differs from yours, its not really a fact is it?

agaskew

May 9, 2014
Visit site
Do not install W10 on a 9XX hoping Edge is faster than IE! Lol. No way.

Edge is way faster for me than IE on my 640 - its worth running the W10 preview for this alone. Haven't tried Windows 10 on the 925, its a bit too slow.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
MatthewHilbers