Lumia 830 unlocking - how to?

kazmi

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Hi!

I recently purchased a Lumia 830 thinking it was the RM-984 (international unlocked) model. However, when I received it, it turned out to be the ATT RM-983 variant. I was able to get an unlock code from AT&T but the instructions say to use a "non-ATT SIM and then follow instructions on screen".

Does anyone know if this is true? Do I really need to get a non-ATT SIM to input the unlock code or is there a way or screen to access unlocking options? Also, I was thinking of getting a Cricket Wireless SIM - would that classify as a non-ATT SIM considering they are now an ATT-owned MVNO?

Thanks for any help that you guys can provide!

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Cricket wireless SIM would work without the unlock. You can try ordering some cheap inactivated SIM cards from eBay for a dollar

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Open Phone and dial ##7820#. No need to press call, as soon as the last # is input it will take you to the screen you need.

You will see a SIM icon with a Padlock icon in front of it which will appear locked. There is also an input field. Tap the field and enter your unlock code. Press enter. It will process and the padlock should then appear unlocked...

You are done, phone unlocked.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Putting in the code should be permanent. I wonder if sometimes an error gets made or something. I sold an 830 board to Hans here on the forum in Germany (can't remember Hans' screen name at the moment).

I got the code from AT&T, and was sure I had put it in prior to shipping, just to make sure it took. He inserted his card, and it wouldn't work. I emailed him the code, and he put it in, and it worked fine.

That is the only one I've had do that, of all of the models I work with. Just to be safe, I send the code along now with unlocked ones. I will say I've never had that happen on a 1520, 1020, or 920, or even another 830.

It was just that one, so I wonder if I didn't enter it correctly or something, but I was very surprised when he emailed and said his sim didn't work. Luckily, I had the code and that fixed it for him.

So, I know it's permanent, and survives resets, but it doesn't hurt to keep around, in case there's a glitch initially.

I also have 2 other 830's right now that I entered the code on, reset them, then put my sim in, and they worked.

kazmi

Dec 19, 2014
Visit site
Thanks for the help...got it unlocked with those instructions...

Is there a way to tell if the phone truly is unlocked without needing to use a non-ATT sim? I did see the unlocked padlock icon after I entered the code.
I ended up getting a Cricket Wireless sim (this is for my mom who's visiting) but I want to be sure when she goes back that she can pop her SIM in and it will work.

moose9703

May 23, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't successful in locking my lumia 830.. I got to the point of entering the unlock code.. I entered it and hit the check mark next to the box, there was no enter on the keyboard.. any ways it just sits there with it still showing as locked.. any ideas?

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I wasn't successful in locking my lumia 830.. I got to the point of entering the unlock code.. I entered it and hit the check mark next to the box, there was no enter on the keyboard.. any ways it just sits there with it still showing as locked.. any ideas?
You entered in incorrectly or the wrong sequence. Call ATT from a land line and have them walk you thru it ( or whoever you got the code from)

EMitchell

Jan 31, 2013
Visit site
One more data point here. I put WP10 preview on my unlocked L830. Tried it for a few days, then went back to WP8.1, update 2, did a hard reset during the process. I just checked, the padlock icon is now locked, so I re-unlocked it. Not sure what step of the process re-locked it to ATT, but it definitely showed a locked icon.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My Factory Unlocked 1520.3 will show as locked after a reset or update. I think it is a default image?

There is no unlock code for my 1520.3. I can just put in a string of garbage numbers and submit. It will then show unlocked.

*shrug*

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Ok, I got in a 920 today. I got the code for it from the carrier, and entered it, no problem. Even took a pic of the open lock with the code, in case I needed it again.

I did factory reset, after which dialed the code, it shows locked again. I'll put in another carrier's card later and see what it does, and report back.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nathanboro12