Buying new mobile after 8 years(k800i old), and I`am considering 1520,... Is it worth it?

SE K800i

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Good day all.

I`am considering Lumia 1520, but now I have doubts because I read here that it has many flaws and that its to big to fit in jeans :unhappy: . Should I still get it? What is your opinion?
Where do you wear it? How long do you have it and did it have problems?

Thank you for your opinion :excited:

Vicente A George

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Hi mate! The 1520 is a great device, some units came with flaws but no all... Having the k800i camera must be something important, and the Lumia is a brilliant camera phone, if you don't use skinny jeans it wild fit well, buy it can be a little bit for one handed usage... It's a matter of get use to it 😉

SE K800i

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Hi mate! The 1520 is a great device, some units came with flaws but no all... Having the k800i camera must be something important, and the Lumia is a brilliant camera phone, if you don't use skinny jeans it wild fit well, buy it can be a little bit for one handed usage... It's a matter of get use to it ��

Hey Vicente, thanks for responding.
I just cut cardboard identical to 1520 dimensions and it fits very nicely in pockets. Jeans are not too skinny, a bit :D
Can jeans tightness bend a bit phone or cause stuff like "phantom touch" or something like that? :>
Obviously I would need to take it out from pocket before I sit, not problem :>

ScrubbyXD

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
Any screen larger than 5 inches is going to run into trouble being in a jeans pocket. There are too many issues with bending, flex, and potential incidental damage. It's just too much glass. This type of phone is intended to be in a holster, purse, bag, or loose/large pocket.

You would be happier with a 1020, or holding out for it's replacement next year. Great camera and less glass to break.

oelapoel

Dec 2, 2013
Visit site
If u can wait until next flagship w10 phone, which would be around sept/oct/dec 2015, do that.. If not, NL1520 is no brainer still the king of windows phone 8.1 :) i have had mine since it first came out, rm-937. Apart from phantom touch issue, which is minor to me, i got no complaints n no regret.. Its worthed

bo_woods

Aug 14, 2014
Visit site
Hey Vicente, thanks for responding.
I just cut cardboard identical to 1520 dimensions and it fits very nicely in pockets. Jeans are not too skinny, a bit :D
Can jeans tightness bend a bit phone or cause stuff like "phantom touch" or something like that? :>
Obviously I would need to take it out from pocket before I sit, not problem :>

Haha

I did the same thing before iIordered my first Nokia Lumia 1520
It really is the best windows phone out right now alongside the 930/ICON

i really only recommend it of your okay with a 6 inch phablet, and don't need to store it in your front pocket, as that will cause some bending and lead to phantom touches... If either of those are problems then the next best thing would be the 930/ ICON

The 930 & ICON are the same phone, but the ICON was made for Verizon while the 930 is international and made for GSM networks. This phone has the same internals as the 1520, except it sports an AMOLED display, lacks micro SD, has a smaller battery, lacks the glance screen, and obviously has a radically different design. Other than these things it is the same. Although if you are in the U.S you will not get LTE on either of these with any other network than verizon, also if you use the ICON you'll lose MMS, while the 930 won't. If these are issues you don't want to live with then the next best thing would be IMO the 830

I'm not going to break down the anatomy of the 830 lol but there are plenty of comparisons between the 830 & 930 on YouTube and even here in the forums

Hope I helped... Just my 2 cents :wink:

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Good day all.

I`am considering Lumia 1520, but now I have doubts because I read here that it has many flaws and that its to big to fit in jeans :unhappy: . Should I still get it? What is your opinion?

I loved my 1520(I am now on a Lumia 640 XL at the moment). Simply the best in its class...i'd go for it if I were you or a Lumia 930(Icon if you are American and on Verizon).

I wear skinny jeans and I had no issues with it..i'm a dancer so I actually preferred the snug fit of my phone vs it moving around a lot.

The 1520 and Icon/930 are the two(or three if you want to be technically) best windows phones you can buy...I never heard of your particular phone you had, so idk anything about it.

Check out the Lumia 640 XL as well...it recently beat the LG G4(a high end android phone) in a blind camera test.

Dietrich Cleijne

Oct 9, 2013
Visit site
I have a L1520, and i store it in my front pocket.
It doesn't bend, so it doesn't break.
I have it for about a year now, and while i loved it from the first day on it only got better with every update.
Somehow critics decided to never mention the fact that this Phone's camera stores it's pictures also in raw (dng) format, so they are never taken into consideration in a review because if they did, no other Phone would be a comparison, except for the L1020.
I think, from my own experience that this is the best smartphone made untill this day, and some unbiased reviewers rate it higher than the Iphone6+.

hiya15

May 23, 2015
Visit site
Good day all.

Welcome !!

On forums, people generally share problems they have, so its normal to have bad perception projected about any device. Yep there are few problems with a number of phones but all in all its a beast.

Make sure you are ok with the size and if you are, go for it. All the best !!!

By the way , i loved K800i :)

MrGoodSmith

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I have the 1520 for over a year now and I'm loving it. I got a thick flip cover for it and I put it in my jeans back pocket. The phantom tap is there every once in a while but it doesn't bother me that much. For non typing operations I can handle it with one hand.

If you can wait until later this year there is a new flagship coming. If I were you I would wait.

narm5

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Every device comes with its own flaws. I have had the 1520 for about 6 months now and the only thing I can complaint against is the erratic touch which sometimes mistakes a scroll as a tap. Beside that, that phone is a beast! Flagship-grade build, good battery life and an awesome screen.
Of course, being a windows phone, you wont have a large app variety and selection as on iOS and android.

Vicente A George

Jul 8, 2014
Visit site
Sorry for the late response, Don't know what's happening to my notifications here hehehe, of course you'll need to take it out of the pocket, I have a 830 right now (5 inch) and sometimes I need to that (depending on the jean) some 1520 presents the called "phantom touches" but it's mostly caused for the high sensitivity screen, the 1520 is one of the latest Nokia phone with the Nokia quality, it will not bend just for been a little tied ;) but as other members have said, if you're afraid of the size you can go for the 930 but you'll miss some great features, either way! You can't go wrong with any ;)

taymur

Aug 22, 2012
Visit site
If you are concerned about the size of the 1520, go get a 930. they are basically the same phone, with different screen sizes.

i would really recommend​ the 930, just keep in mind that it doesn't have a micro SD expansion slot.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
If you are concerned about the size of the 1520, go get a 930. they are basically the same phone, with different screen sizes...

I'm not picking on you, taymur. A LOT of people say this. 1520 and 930 are basically the same. Same SoC, same camera module, same RAM and radio... It's tempting to say they are the same.

The more I think about it the less sense that makes. The same class of phone definitely. It seems to me they are more similar than they are same. Looking at them it is obvious two different design teams worked separately on these two phones.

1520 - Polycarbonate Unibody; 930 - Metal Band Frame
1520 - IPS LCD; 930 - AMOLED
1520 - 6" screen; 930 - 5" screen
Glance Screen - 1520 yea, 930 nay
microSD Card Support - 1520 yea, 930 nay
Battery Endurance - 1520 yea, 930 nay

The differences are in some key areas that certain users consider make-or-break issues when selecting a device. It seems clear to me that Nokia had a core spec list and two different teams interpreted that core hardware list into two similar (not same) phones... In my estimation the 1520 always come out ahead. I just can't make them equivalent in my mind.

Marko Marjanovic

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
Problems with forums is that every one with a problem is here, and majority of other half who is enjoying is out there, doing simply things; like enjoying their phones.
1520 is a great phone. That's it.
Never tried 930 (or icon) but i used 830, and i simply don't get people who compare it versus 930. If 930 is only a bit same like 1520 then there is no comparison with 930, atleast for me. High end is high end for a reason, ,,afordable high end" is not.
Back to subject, for the 1520 if carboard fits you (that's was i did too), and battery is very important to you (but trust me, someday i menage 3 - 4 days, is good damn good and i wouldnt trade size for smaller one) then go for it!
Everything in life have % of risk, if you get good device protect it if not protect it even more.
My opinion, and if you are change of heart, flip the coin hh'

rory753

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had the 1520, and now am using a 640 xl. I actually like the camera on the 640xl slightly more then the 1520. I also like the size/weight of the 640 xl over the 1520. The performance of the 1520 is better then the 640xl, but it doesnt really make me want to trade. I've had 2 issues with my 1520, which is the phantom touch issue, and also random screen rescaling.
If i was choosing between the 2, i honestly would be conflicted. I think the best thing about the 640 xl dual sim is it's just a much better phone. IE, it has way more LTE bands then what the 1520 has, and should work with most networks, which is what the main purpose of a phone should be, right?

SE K800i

Jun 24, 2015
Visit site
Thank you for your valuable inputs! :>

So past few days I been looking for 1520 in stores and they are nowhere to be found. Some informed me that they will not getting them anymore. Maybe some 1520 will pop up in next few weeks, maybe not.. It seems they are getting out of production :unhappy:

I found Microsoft Lumia-s 640/640 xl are arriving next week or so :> Beside that tried L830, 925 and few other lumias, liked them very much, nice phones. Now I`l wait for 640/640xl to arrive and try them too. You know when is in your hands, is it for you or not :>. I`am excited to try 640xl , we`l see in next days.

As for shortage of apps, I don`t think its problem. I never used smartphone so I don`t know what having abundance of apps(that android users around me brag) means :smile: . I welcome very much gps and maps.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb