Text Messages - Not Backing Up, Not Transferring, Not Found.

Max E

May 5, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys. I'm trying to transfer my old text messages from the 620 onto my 735. There are 2 ways of moving the messages to a new phone (That I have heard of) and I'll go through each method, describing why it's not working for me.

1) Backup:
I'm getting the rather common issue of it reaching 95% or 96% freezing for a while, it repeats this several times then telling me the backup has failed. Tried most solutions, none have worked. The last backup that I managed to get to transfer over to my new phone was from 2 years ago. This means the backup feature must have stopped working 1-2 months after I first got the phone.
Turning of text message backup doesn't fix it, I believe that the backup button doesn't take into consideration the text message backup option since that's for automatic text message backup.

2) The Transfer My Data App
For some reason this app is only copying my Contacts over to my new phone. Messages will not copy over through Bluetooth (I presume the phone can't find them). If I try copying over to the SD Card then it will display that Contacts have been found. However it will continuously search for Texts and MMS.

Looks to me as though the phone just can't find my messages. I have no issues sending/receiving messages.
I assume it's this issue that is making my Backup fail as well.

If anyone could give me some solutions or a reason to what is going on here that would be great, I've had multiple major issues with this phone and it's getting frustrating, my on button doesn't even work.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
I also do not know but here some background.

The backup you run does not include text messages but "only" apps+settings
The texts are a separate back up . "that's for automatic text message backup" is actual the text backup.
But if you delete text messages on your phone they are also deleted in this "automatic text message backup. So if you do not see the old messages on your 620 then they are gone.
Otherwise switching on the text message backup should make a backup and if you use the same account on your new phone they should turn up on your new phone but this could take some time,

Now some providers have a sms backup service (not sure if this is the right name) so you may contact them to ask.

Max E

May 5, 2015
Visit site
I've still got all my old messages on my phone.
It just seems weird that my phone can't even seem to locate the messages to transfer them.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
That indeed is weird but at least you still have the messages.
One more thing if you enable the text backup in your old phone you can setup your new phone without using the "restore backup from your old phone" because the text backup is separate from the "apps+settings backup. After the setup you only have to enable the text backup on your new phone to get the text messages.
This is however how it should work and it may take some time before the texts messages show up on your new phone.

Max E

May 5, 2015
Visit site
It's been turned on and set to "any time" since I first got the phone. I think it stopped backing up texts 2 years ago, but it doesn't seem to give me any error message.

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Did you do ever a hard reset in the last 2 years?
If so and the texts messages are still complete would indicate that they are back upped.
I would suggest to set up your new phone and see what happens with your messages.

That apps+settings do not backup or give an error message or only backup till > 90+% is a "common" error. With lots of possible reasons. You could delete the present backup and try again or go to onedrive to see if there are more backups.

AbsoluteSith

Apr 16, 2015
Visit site
You could try the CONTACTS+MESSAGE BACKUP by microsoft and export this to sd card and then easily import it on your new device. Do note this app will show up on your settings.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett