Cannot get fast downloads on wireless network

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I have an issue I cannot seem to trouble shoot. I 'should' be able to get full '4G LTE' download speeds with my carrier, but I can't get anything above 17 Mbps DOWNLOADS, but they are usually closer to 4 or 5. Oddly, my upload speeds are almost always faster. Anyone have any clue what's causing this?

cane prevost1

Jun 25, 2015
Visit site
Do you have the correct version of the phone? It comes in different versions with different cell bands. What's your carrier and what version of the phone do you have?

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I have the RM-1096 which is the 'dual sim lte' model. After further testing, I've come to the conclusion that both my wireless carriers just have awful service in my area (AT&T and T-Tmobile). I pulled both sims and tested in my 520, the speeds were significantly lower. I was able to get around 20+ Mbps on my 640, but on the 520, in the same area, it capped around 6 or 7.

The reason I get 4 or 5 on my 640 at work is because I work in an area with a lot of interference I guess. My 640 identifies the network (using the app 'Net Check') as LTE on my 640, but not the on the 520.

At the end of the day, I could care less about the speeds, I just want to make sure I'm able to get as much connectivity as possible, since I'm often in remote areas.

I'm mildly surprised I can't exceed 20 Mbps with either carrier, as I'm located in Southern California in a major metropolitan area, but it is what it is.

LouCap

May 30, 2015
Visit site
I've found the same to be true. Depending on where I am in my local area I can get blazing fast speeds, or just limp along. My 640 XL gets speeds comparable to every other LTE phone I've had over the last two years, so I don't think it's anything to be worried about.

tedj101

Jul 3, 2015
Visit site
I am having similar results. At my house, my speeds are disappointing. On the road, they vary all over the place. I have the 640XL on T-Mobile. I also have 4 phones on AT&T, 2 Galaxy S4's, a Note 3 and a Blackberry Z-10. All of them except the Blackberry get similar speeds except that the 640XL on T-Mobile gets significantly better speeds indoors than any of my AT&T phones. I think this is because they are using Band 12 around here (700mhz) and it is better at penetrating cover.

Regards,
<TED>

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Carnes