Adding Wireless Charging to the Lumia 640

yaggs

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
I was able to add wireless charging to my Lumia 640 pretty easily and without messing up the phone or soldering anything to anything... you just need to pickup one of these wireless charging receiver modules from Amazon: DigiYes? Widespread Ultra Slim Micro USB Wireless Charging Receiver Module compatible with most phone with micro USB interface(Narrow side upwards, wide side downwards) ... Sorry... I don't have the points need to post a link but searching for that on amazon should find the product pretty easily.

They are just $9.99 and seem to work just fine. If you are getting on make sure you get the one with the narrow side up the wide side down (that refers to the orientation of the micro usb port on the phone)... I purchased the one from the link above.

I think these are generally designed to go inside a case but I didn't want to use a case on my 640 (I got the blue shell for it)... so I had to make one small modification to the receiver module... I needed to use an exacto or carpenters knife and shave off the extra plastic around the edges of the micro usb plug on it. It was really easy and only took a minute to do. But that way the shell fits over the little nub that sticks out of the micro usb when this thing is attached. These things are Qi compatible but they are not Qi certified so use one at your own risk! But generally I think it is working fine. I gained a 10% charge in 30 minutes... so figure about 4-5 hours to fully charge on the plate that I have (I have the Nokia chargers that they were giving away with the 920 at AT&T when they first came out).

This is really great because with this add on my 640 does nearly EVERYTHING my 1520 did... NFC, Display Memory (if a little limited), HD screen, micro sd expansion, etc... and now wireless charging for just $10. I can't believe the value of the 640! I really wish Microsoft could get these phones into more peoples hands.. they are great devices and you can't beat the price!

The only real issue with this setup is the fact that you can't use the USB port on the phone while you have this plugged in... I never really use mine to transfer anything and generally I don't have any need to charge my phone during the day using a cable... if your a developer this might be a pain in case you need to unplug the thing anytime you want to send a build of an app to the phone... but it works for me. Some reviews of the module said you can't remove and plug it in too often or it will break... so that might be a problem for some... but in general this is a great solutions for me! Hope this post is helpful to others that are looking to add wireless charging to the 640!

Included are some pictures of the setup:

640wc-1.jpg640wc-2.jpg640wc-3.jpg640wc-4.jpg

lbp775

Mar 28, 2013
Visit site
I may have to try this. Thanks!

Does anyone know what those two dots in the lower left corner of the 640 is for? I was hoping it is for wireless charging shells.

yaggs

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
If you mean the two dots on the rounder corner... I think they look like they are plastic or painted on... so I'm not sure if they are for charging or not. I am going on second day with the charger and it is working really well!

yaggs

Jan 15, 2011
Visit site
You should be able to... it just connects to the micro-usb port on the phone... so it should work with just about any device that charges with micro-usb. Make sure you check the orientation of the micro-usb port on that device if you are going to order one of theses... it needs to be the correct direction so the flat ribbon cable goes the right way inside the shell or the case your using... again... I don't like cases so I just have mine inside the shell and I had to shave excess off the micro-usb connector to get it to fit through the micro-usb hole on the shell.

itsnavsub

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the information as I have a Nokia wireless charger for my Lumia 920. I bought the Lumia 640 and might try this out.
​Question - Does the receiver block the speaker when you place inside the shell?

jonnob

Aug 13, 2011
Visit site
I did this mod to my 640. Came from a 925 that had the wireless charging shell. Works great so far and no external case necessary.

faith3935

Dec 8, 2014
Visit site
How's it working out so far? Also are there any affordable wireless chargers worth buying as I'm currently interested in adding wireless charging on my Lumia 640 as I loved having on a 920 that I once owned before I was forced to sell it due to job loss.

Vnuks

Nov 6, 2015
Visit site
Thanks, yaggs, for your solution. I have just looking for same.
Few questions: Does the QI charging process stable or it interupting periodicaly? On my Lumia 830 internal QI charger sometimes turnes off because of overheating.
Does Standard back cover fits without displacement after QI reciver isertion?
And could you please make a big photo of USB connector, it seeems you have also cuted backplate hole ?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo