GPS draining the battery while charging?

Geir Wathne

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
When using the GPS the phone Nokia 1020 battery seems to be draining at the same speed whether I use a 12v charger or use the phone unplugged? So no matter what I do the battery is drained when using GPS. Does anyone have an idea of how to bypass this problem?
It's the only thing I find wrong with this beautiful phone. Hope there's a solution 😊

Last edited:

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
What app are you using specifically? Normally, it's not the GPS itself that is using up power, but the mobile data needed either for live traffic updates or for downloading maps in case you haven't downloaded them to your phone yet.

Also, it's not the input power/voltage/ampere rating that matters but rather the output rating of the charger. 12V is most probably the input rating of the charger, e.g. in car phone chargers, since 12V would most definitely fry your phone if it was the output of the charger. You may want to use a 2A and 5V output charger for your L1020.

In my L1020, using a power bank that has a maximum* output of 3.6A can still charge my phone despite it using GPS and data at the same time, i.e. for the Waze app.

*- May not be the actual output it gives the L1020. I think that my Sony powerbank supplies power to the phone such that it can charge the battery at or near 2A (just like the default charger). Hence, if the phone is using more power than when it is in standby, my powerbank may be delivering more than 2A to compensate for the additional power demand.

Geir Wathne

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Hi and thanks for replying. I will have to check the charger's we have in our car and mobilecaravan. Understanding they have to deliver minimum 2A?
12V is input an output 5V 2A ?

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Hi and thanks for replying. I will have to check the charger's we have in our car and mobilecaravan. Understanding they have to deliver minimum 2A?
12V is input an output 5V 2A ?

Not necessarily a minimum, but it should be higher than what the rate the phone is draining the battery. The default charger is at 1.5A*, but I've used a 0.55A charger (from the L535) to charge the L1020 and it still charged, only a lot slower.

12V is most probably the input for the charger since a car battery output is normal 12V.

I'd say that the minimum is 1A, but the recommended is 1.5A.

*- Apologies for this mistake, it's pretty hard to read the markings on the charger.

raggedy b

Sep 10, 2014
Visit site
Posted a similar thread last week,you need a 2a charger,bought one for my motorcycle of Amazon which seller stressed was 2a for smartphones,but he was telling porkies,was going to try Satnav with screened turned off to see how fast that drains

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Discussed till death. It's the USB wire that is the most important factor. Make sure it's a dedicated USB wire for charging without data function.

Easiest solution is to buy a Nokia car charger.

Last edited:

Geir Wathne

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
I just bought a charger that says it delivers 3.1A and shall try it out today. Noticed that the USB cable is thicker than normal? Hope this works 😊

Geir Wathne

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
Happy day for us with Windows phone... Now I've tried it on the road. With a car charger that delivers 3.1A and the "thick" USB cable delivered with the charger it charged my phone from 50% to 75% during a 45min driving using the here GPS app. That solves the problem 😃

gpobernardo

Jan 12, 2013
Visit site
Happy day for us with Windows phone... Now I've tried it on the road. With a car charger that delivers 3.1A and the "thick" USB cable delivered with the charger it charged my phone from 50% to 75% during a 45min driving using the here GPS app. That solves the problem ��

Is the cable a charge-only cable or a data/charge cable?

Geir Wathne

Jun 27, 2015
Visit site
The cable supports both charging and data connection, but it's thicker then any usb cable i've seen so far. The product name to find it on internet i dont know, because i've bought it at a storehouse called "Biltema" in Norway, Sweden and Denmark. They have marked everything with their own company name, but the link to this product in Norway is at biltema.no and search for "hurtiglader" and pick "USB-lader-dobbel-12-V" from the list
cant paste links directly here yet...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett