I want the 640 but I am on AT&T unsure what to do?

scipio9

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site
It seems the 640 handset is only available to T-Mobile and Cricket, neither which will work on AT&T.
I understand there are some unlocked options. The many versions have me confused though. I don't need Dual SIM but I do want LTE. I don't require VOLTE or wifi calling but I want visual voice mail. There is the RM-1113 and the RM-175 among many others. I am having a hard time determining which is best for my needs. I heard also that AT&T eventually will offer the 640 but when will this be?
The XL is too big for me and switching carriers is also not an option.
Anyone have any advice?
Any input at all will help.
Thanks

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site
re: I want the 640 but I am on AT&T unsure what to do?

Great suggestion there Jazmac... -_-
He spelled out his options so all the OP is looking for is a reality check. Can't leave his carrier which leaves the choice of waiting or going with the 640 on his/her carrier. Which is the XL. Just being logical while you're trying to be correct. :)

To the OP, my son works at AT&T and brought one home yesterday. I didn't think it was that bad where screen size is concerned. Pairing it next to my 1520, its more narrow and shorter than it. We're talking 5.7 (XL) vs 5.1 inches (non XL) . Everything else, processor, screen res, storage, internal ram is identical. Unless your issue is price, you get 2 weeks with it and if it doesn't work for you, return it.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

OP, one option you could take, if you don't mind the branding is to pick up the 640 from Cricket. Cricket is owned by AT&T and should work with its LTE bands as well. Good luck.

Warren_2185

Oct 21, 2014
Visit site

Scipio9, I have the 640 on Cricket and really love the device. It's also very inexpensive. Perfect size. I checked out a 640 XL at the store and it seemed too big for me too. I hope you can get one somehow for AT&T. I realize my comment was absolutely not helpful. But good luck.

metalchick719

Oct 4, 2012
Visit site

Just get an unlocked 640 but be sure to check the bands it has prior to buying. You might even be able to find one on eBay in a little while.

Archdean

Aug 2, 2014
Visit site

I have the same exact problem as stated by the first poster.
The only question that needs to be answered is "AT&T eventually will offer the 640 but when will this be?"
Thank you.

Lilla45

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

It seems the 640 handset is only available to T-Mobile and Cricket, neither which will work on AT&T.
I understand there are some unlocked options. The many versions have me confused though. I don't need Dual SIM but I do want LTE. I don't require VOLTE or wifi calling but I want visual voice mail. There is the RM-1113 and the RM-175 among many others. I am having a hard time determining which is best for my needs. I heard also that AT&T eventually will offer the 640 but when will this be?
The XL is too big for me and switching carriers is also not an option.
Anyone have any advice?
Any input at all will help.
Thanks

The discussion at the thread below is about the Lumia 640 XL sold by AT&T. I think you will want to read the entire thread, but I have quoted a bit of it below. Bottom line, it appears that to get Visual Voice Mail from AT&T you need to have an AT&T specific version.
http://forums.windowscentral.com/lumia-640-xl/363468-t-version-rm-1063-a.html
Post #3. So crazy how many variants there are. I bought the dual sim lte version from expansys and loved it but at the end of the day I have to have my visual voicemail!

Post #4. Exactly. Right now my wife is using a Lumia 635 from AT&T, and I've got a Country Variant 635. She can dial the number to get the Data balance in an SMS, and I can't, even though both accounts are on the same AT&T account. She gets visual voicemail, and I don't. It's because of the variant number. She's on RM-975_1035, and I'm RM-975_1043.

It's not that AT&T can't offer those services on these "Bring Your Own Device" devices, they just punish you for not buying it from them because they want the extra profit from selling you the device. That's my opinion, whether right or not.

If the phone works on the AT&T LTE bands, they should allow it to have the visual voicemail, PERIOD. Shame on AT&T.

Lilla45

Mar 9, 2015
Visit site

OP, one option you could take, if you don't mind the branding is to pick up the 640 from Cricket. Cricket is owned by AT&T and should work with its LTE bands as well. Good luck.

Regarding this option, see discussion below. I believe I read somewhere in the forums that you have to be on Cricket for 6 months before they will unlock the device.

http://forums.windowscentral.com/t/362257-[l640]-coming-t.html#post3128568
Q: can you use a cricket 640 on att network without issues?

A: Cricket branded devices need to be unlocked to use on AT&T.
However, AT&T branded devices can be used on Cricket without unlocking.

comicalmoodydan

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site

AT&T devices will work on Cricket but not the other way around. A Cricket device won't work on AT&T unless it's unlocked and yes you have to be a Cricket customer for 6 months before they will unlock a phone.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site

AT&T devices will work on Cricket but not the other way around. A Cricket device won't work on AT&T unless it's unlocked and yes you have to be a Cricket customer for 6 months before they will unlock a phone.
That's correct. I chatted with an AT&T rep who confirmed it.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

There are plenty of other places to get one. Another place you could look for an unlocked 640 is on Ebay. This one is a couple hundred bucks but it is unlocked and the seller has a return policy.

scipio9

Oct 27, 2013
Visit site

I will be getting this phone for my 7 year old daughter as an upgrade from her 520. She splits her time between moms home and dads so she now needs a phone with a FFC in order to use Skype with me.

I want to stay with a windows phone because she is already in the ecosystem with a subscription to Xbox Music etc...

Regarding the 640XL it is simply too big for her hand.
I have a family plan with AT&T and I don't want to have to go to Cricket.
I just don't know what phone to get her. The 830 is too expensive for what it is, the 1520 too big, and so on...
This is just a bad time to be a WP user looking for an upgrade.

comicalmoodydan

Jul 29, 2014
Visit site

AT&T was suppose to carry the 640 but I've yet to hear on any word from them on when/if it's launching.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I will be getting this phone for my 7 year old daughter as an upgrade from her 520. She splits her time between moms home and dads so she now needs a phone with a FFC in order to use Skype with me.

I want to stay with a windows phone because she is already in the ecosystem with a subscription to Xbox Music etc...

I just don't know what phone to get her. The 830 is too expensive for what it is, the 1520 too big, and so on...
Xbox Music is available for iOS and Android. I'm not encouraging you to switch platforms for your daughter, but just mentioning that it does not require a Windows Phone. My suggestion would be to wait if her 520 still works. There is no need to upgrade at the end of a contract, even if upgrades are available. I've been out of contract since April 2014. I'm not going to take another contract. I plan to take a Next plan upgrade later this year.

Last edited:

Cryio

Oct 6, 2013
Visit site

The 640 XL was just made available to AT&T and the normal 640 should become available soon enough. There is no need to hurry to upgrade her from the fully functional 520.

I think the 640 will launch in the next 2-4 weeks for certain.

Jazmac

Jun 20, 2011
Visit site

Well that makes perfect sense now. If you got a couple hun to spend, check Ebay. Make sure you buy from a reputable seller with a return policy. Good luck.

TechFreak1

May 15, 2013
Visit site
Wow, US carriers sure love to shaft their customers with lame practises.... I'm always baffled by this nonsense.

As long people continue to buy subsidised phones it will continue unfortunately.

Also an alternative to ebay maybe try expansys or b&h (best check the bands first) however neither of which are cheap options (wouldn't pay anything more than $120 for the 640 personally and even that's stretching it by a large magnitude).

mase123987

Mar 1, 2012
Visit site
OP, how much are you willing to pay for a phone? I know you are asking about the 640 for AT&T but if you can spend a little more, you can get an HTC One M8 for $250-$280 (Manufacturer Refurbished and no taxes) on eBay from respectable sellers. I just did this and mine looks perfectly brand new.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb