My Lumia 520 is showing a sad smiley during hard reset, can I get some help with this problem please?

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site
my lumia 520 is showing a sad smiley during hard reset, help me with this problem. please...

i updated my phone to w10 build 10080 two weeks ago and from then i cannot connect my phone to pc using usb and so i can't revert to w8.1. two days ago i updated it to build 10149. the display is divided into three blocks. to say everything shifted towards left and the windows button became search button, the back button- windows. i tried hard reset. first time nothing changed but some apps including the settings app went missing. then i tried hard reset using key combination. This time during reset it started showing a sad smiley. each time i start the device, it shows the gears thing and then the sad smiley appears and it starts over. help me out please

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Re: my lumia 520 is showing a sad smiley during hard reset, help me with this problem. please...

Try using Lumia Software Recovery Tool or Windows Phone Recovery Tool to restore the phone. If both don't work then then perform a dead flash using Nokia Product Support Tool for Store (hard way)

Blackberry-Prince

Jun 4, 2015
Visit site
Re: my lumia 520 is showing a sad smiley during hard reset, help me with this problem. please...

i updated my phone to w10 build 10080 two weeks ago and from then i cannot my phone to pc using usb and so i can't revert to w8.1. two days ago i updated it to build 10149. the display is divided into three blocks. to say everything shifted towards left and the windows button became search button, the back button- windows. i tried hard reset. first time nothing changed but some apps including the settings app went missing. then i tried hard reset using key combination. This time during reset it started showing a sad smiley. each time i start the device, it shows the gears thing and then the sad smiley appears and it starts over. help me out please

Try this. IT works!!
1. POWER OFF your Lumia phone
2. Remove and replace the battery
3. Press and hold the POWER button until the phone vibrates
4. Press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button until the ?!? appears
5. Press the VOLUME UP button
6. Press the VOLUME DOWN button
7. Press the POWER button
8. Press the VOLUME DOWN button
9. Wait until Welcome screen appears.
10. Your Lumia phone has been completely reset to its original factory settings.

WARNING: Make sure to backup your Lumia phone before you proceed with a hard reset ? it will erase all of the data on your phone.

Torcher Death

Apr 28, 2014
Visit site

Looks like there are some issues with the new build in the case of L520 & a few 920s, cause the same happened to mine, only difference is I did a hard reset cause people app kept crashing.
After the 1st reset, settings & other system apps went missing.
2nd reset & the :-( face showed up.

Recovery tool is the only way. That too, you'd have to try twice or thrice before it actually works.

Downside of testing pre-release software

Jun 29, 2015
Visit site

i tried everything hard reset and the recovery tools. no result.

hey Mr. pankaj do you mean the nokia care suit????

Last edited:

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site

i tried everything hard reset and the recovery tools. no result.

hey Mr. pankaj do you mean the nokia care suit????
Product Support Tool is part of Nokia Care Suite. Dead flashing should work, has always worked for me.

Aug 12, 2015
Visit site

Try this. IT works!!
1. POWER OFF your Lumia phone
2. Remove and replace the battery
3. Press and hold the POWER button until the phone vibrates
4. Press and hold the VOLUME DOWN button until the ?!? appears
5. Press the VOLUME UP button
6. Press the VOLUME DOWN button
7. Press the POWER button
8. Press the VOLUME DOWN button
9. Wait until Welcome screen appears.
10. Your Lumia phone has been completely reset to its original factory settings.

WARNING: Make sure to backup your Lumia phone before you proceed with a hard reset ? it will erase all of the data on your phone.

Had same problem , did this ⬆️ Now works perfect , thank you for posting this solution

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
DrPendragon