Using an Icon in China

Josh Pollard

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
My wife and I are travelling to China for a couple of weeks, and she'd like to be able to use her Lumia Icon. I'm having a hard time finding info about whether this is even possible, but it seems like it may work with China Unicom. I'd like to have a decent amount of data without needing to spend a ton of money if possible. Does anyone have experience using an Icon (or other Verizon Windows Phone) in China?

Thanks!

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
The Icon has GSM so the only thing you should need is an activated nano-SIM for whatever network you plan on using. I'm not sure about LTE though you should be able to get HSPA+.

Lee B

Nov 14, 2012
Visit site
I haven't yet used my Icon in China but plan to on my next trip. I used my Verizon 822 in China on several trips; I signed up for Verizon's international service for the duration of each trip, and canceled it after I was back. The phone worked pretty much the same as in the U.S. The most noticeable difference is that the internet in China is heavily influenced by the Great Firewall. Many sites you'd normally be able to get to are out of reach, and anything on the net is subject to lags. Also, the Chinese live up to their reputation for hacking into anything, so be careful about any sensitive information that you don't want the PRC to get its hands on.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
killshot4077