Wooden Cases

BustyBloke

Oct 17, 2015
Visit site
Hey guys, long time lurker on these forums. Just created an account to share my wooden case creation.

I bought one of those plain, blocky, bamboo cases from Ebay. Search "lumia 930 bambus" and you will find it there (new account, so I can't post links yet).

I carved out the sides to give it some contours, stained it with some water based paints to emulate a "cherry sunburst" finish (commonly used on guitars), and clear-coated it with several layers of polyurethane varnish. Finally, I polished it to a high gloss, and applied some wax.

This is what I ended up with:

IMG_0792.jpg

IMG_0801.jpg

I have a spare one of these, which I am currently putting a "tobacco sunburst" finish on. Will share pictures when it is done.

In terms of just buying wooden cases for the 930, from what I have seen, we really have very few options compared to some of the more popular phones out there. iPhone and Samsung owners are spoiled for choice in comparison.

Bamboo really wasn't my first choice either. In fact, bamboo is not even a true hardwood - it is just a tough grass and is perhaps not the most ideal material for this kind of application.

I have recently seen some wooden cases for the 930 online made of walnut and cherry, which are much nicer woods than bamboo (again, sorry can't post links yet). However, since I am going to upgrade to a 950 XL upon launch anyway, I think I will just prepare my 930 for retirement and stop buying / making new accessories for it. I have way too many cases as it is!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa