Lumia Icon & the "coming soon" Lumia 940

Tullphan

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm just curious, after reading the alleged specs for the new 940, it it will be much of an upgrade or worth the upgrade from a Lumia Icon?

jmshub

Apr 16, 2011
Visit site
The important thing to note is that the Lumia has not been officially announced yet, so we don't know the finalized stats, and more importantly for your case, we don't know which carriers may see the Lumia 940. The Icon was CDMA only (Verizon Wireless exclusive), while the 900 and 920 before it were exclusively GSM phones (and could not be connected to Verizon's network).

Last edited:

Zulfigar

Jun 27, 2012
Visit site
In terms of specs, no, but in terms of exclusive features, well, that's what everyone wants to know about, and that may be where it becomes a true upgrade.

Just have to wait and see.

Michael Bromley

Dec 19, 2012
Visit site
I only upgrade phones when my daughter loses or breaks hers. This is how she switched to Win phone from apple, and she liked it so much she asked for an Icon over the 928 I gave her. Now she broke her Icon and is in line for mine whenever the next Lumia phone comes out. I'm happy w this phone, but if there's an even better camera out there, I'm in! Oh, and more storage...

Tullphan

Sep 24, 2014
Visit site
I'm aware that the Icon is VZW only, but my contract will be up the first of the year (hopefully plenty of time for quality reviews) & I have no problem switching carriers. However, if after reading the reviews & they're not that positive, then it's off to ST I go.

anon(7901790)

Aug 5, 2013
Visit site
Here is a newer article. Although, it is still RUMINT. Dan Rubino also mentioned also mentioned the 940 and 940XL in an article he wrote recently. He's usually pretty well informed.

Lumia 940 Leak Suggests Windows 10 Flagship Phone Will Have Metal Body : PERSONAL TECH : Tech Times

Microsoft's restructuring of their phone business was necessary, obvious, and good for Lumia | Windows Central

It makes a lot of sense for Microsoft to reduce the amount of different phones it offers at each market (business, low-end, and flagship). For starters, it's a WHOLE lot easier supporting 2 or 3 devices for each market instead of 6 or 7 (or more). It makes OS development/maintenance much more stream lined and cheaper.

It also doesn't alienate other OEM partners by reducing the poaching into their sales. And finally, distinguishes Microsoft from other OEMs, not just the Windows Phone OEMs, but Android and Apple as well.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss