Ideal Micro SD Card for extra storage?

itsnavsub

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
I recently bought Lumia 640. I am long time user for Lumia 920. The 920 still works and is a great phone. The 920 came with 32 GB on board storage where as 640 has only 8 GB with add on SD card option.

I plan to add a 32 GB micros SD card for the 640. I plan to use it as an overflow for apps, photos, podcasts, offline maps to name a few. SanDisk seems to be a natural choice for most folks. I saw there are multiple types of SanDisk SD cards on Amazon.

Option 1 - SanDisk Extreme 32GB UHS-I/U3 Micro SDHC Memory Card Up To 60MB/s

Option 2 - SanDisk Ultra 32GB UHS-I/Class 10 Micro SDHC Memory Card Up to 48MB/s
The price difference between option 1 and 2 is not much. But I think option 2 would be more than enough for me.

The question is does it really make a difference to have a higher read throughput (i.e.) 60MB/s vs 48MB/s? For example game apps loaded on the SD card. How is the performance in that case? Thanks.

shishu1

Dec 12, 2013
Visit site
A little offtopic maybe but you mentioned storing offline maps to SD card. I think that was possible through the app Lumia storage check that was pulled from the store. So it might not be possible now unless you have the app installed before it got pulled(like I had :) )

itsnavsub

Nov 13, 2012
Visit site
A little offtopic maybe but you mentioned storing offline maps to SD card. I think that was possible through the app Lumia storage check that was pulled from the store. So it might not be possible now unless you have the app installed before it got pulled(like I had :) )

Thanks for the heads up about Offline maps can be saved only on the device storage. I will check and post back here my findings.

Rose640

Jul 20, 2015
Visit site
It doesn't say whether the first SD card is class 10, and really, it's a must. Of course the first one is better choice as long as it is class 10, if not, don't even consider buying it.

MATRIX RELOADED

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Since the 640 has only 8gb on board memory, I suggest you invest in a 64gb class 10 sdcard so you don't have to worry about storage space later on. More storage will give you peace of mind and more future proof

RiskyAbhi

Dec 21, 2014
Visit site
Hello,
I have a Samsung Pro micro sd card 64 Gb 90mbps. Its working great on my 1520. And u will get a great deal if u buy if from any store near u. I don't know if its available on amazon.

FancyFreddy

May 19, 2015
Visit site
Be very VERY careful ordering SanDisk memory online as there are TONS of junk ones out there.

I have a 128GB Samsung in my tablet after getting (unknowningly, and then ebay shut down the seller) a fake Sandisk 64GB one. Really poor performance and would not "hold" data. And captured movies were jittery.

I went back and put a genuine SanDisk in my 640 and it works fine. Just need to get around to picking up another 128GB samsung flash card for the phone. Really like having the extra capacity for pics and video.

Artie42

Aug 8, 2015
Visit site
It's better to buy a 64 GB Micro SD card or 128GB, I have a Lumia 8 GB device and an 16 GB Micro SD, it seems that windows phone's some temp files can't be cleaned. And the apps are growing.

drhere

Dec 30, 2014
Visit site
I agree, get at least get a 64Gb, I got a SanDisk on sale from Amazon. Flash memory is getting cheaper nowadays, and you can get a good name brand microsd card that is 64Gb or higher at a reasonable price.

jdballard

Sep 20, 2011
Visit site
Thanks for the heads up about Offline maps can be saved only on the device storage. I will check and post back here my findings.

I installed here maps and here drive+ to the phone but was able to move them to the SD card via storage sense. I'll use the maps on the way home today to see if it functions as expected.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Tallgeeselll05