Back cover issue

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I recently got a new Lumia 830 for Father's Day since my 1020 was stolen earlier in the month. Anyways the phone is great and I have no issues with it as far as performance. My only problem is, the back cover. I can't afford a great case for it yet so it's naked for the time being. I have noticed this past week that the back cover tends to want to come off. What I mean is that it will start to come off a bit, as in 1 or 2 places but it doesn't come off completely. At first I didn't think much of it, but it's been happening all too often. I went to an AT&T store earlier today to see if anything could be done because it was still under the 14 day return/exchange policy. The only thing they can do is take the whole phone in for a complete exchange. That would cost me time backing up, and then restoring a new phone again. I really don't want to go that route. Has anyone had that issue with their 830 and had anything resolved from it. I'm tempted to go to the Microsoft Store to see if they can just warranty a replacement back cover. I have the green cover still new in the box but doesn't look right on the phone. If all else, I will use it.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The 830 has the fussiest back cover I have ever fiddled with. At least it was, until we put an aftermarket extended back on my wife's Note 2...

It may be how you are seating it. I start mine on the edge of the phone with the buttons. Seat that whole side and then exert a gentle pressure towards that edge before seating the bottom > opposite side > top. I get great contact with all the tabs this way. It seems work with my green and my orange covers. It may just be my phone that works best with this pattern or it may work for you or you might need to discover your own pattern.

hasasimo

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
I recently got a new Lumia 830 for Father's Day since my 1020 was stolen earlier in the month. Anyways the phone is great and I have no issues with it as far as performance. My only problem is, the back cover. I can't afford a great case for it yet so it's naked for the time being. I have noticed this past week that the back cover tends to want to come off. What I mean is that it will start to come off a bit, as in 1 or 2 places but it doesn't come off completely. At first I didn't think much of it, but it's been happening all too often. I went to an AT&T store earlier today to see if anything could be done because it was still under the 14 day return/exchange policy. The only thing they can do is take the whole phone in for a complete exchange. That would cost me time backing up, and then restoring a new phone again. I really don't want to go that route. Has anyone had that issue with their 830 and had anything resolved from it. I'm tempted to go to the Microsoft Store to see if they can just warranty a replacement back cover. I have the green cover still new in the box but doesn't look right on the phone. If all else, I will use it.

Are you sure you're securing the cover correctly? The 830 has the securest back cover of any phone I've owned that has a removable back. But it can take a few tries to get the hang of how to install it the right way. I cant even tell the back cover is removable once it's secured and people are surprised when I tell them it is... nothing loose, nothing creaking.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Odd, between my wife's L830 and mine we have 6 covers, they all sit fine. It takes some practice to work all the tabs in, with the last one often the more difficult one. If the cover sits flat around the metal frame and it still comes off then my guess is that one of the tabs is broken off or bent?
I see you got your phone from ATT and you got it with two covers (black and green). Do both come off?

If you do have a chance to visit an MS store then I believe they likely exchange the cover right in the store. At least that's my experience with the local MS store here.

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Odd, between my wife's L830 and mine we have 6 covers, they all sit fine. It takes some practice to work all the tabs in, with the last one often the more difficult one. If the cover sits flat around the metal frame and it still comes off then my guess is that one of the tabs is broken off or bent?
I see you got your phone from ATT and you got it with two covers (black and green). Do both come off?

If you do have a chance to visit an MS store then I believe they likely exchange the cover right in the store. At least that's my experience with the local MS store here.

I have yet to use the green cover as I still have it new in the box. I will contact MS in the morning if swapping the back is an option

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
I have yet to use the green cover as I still have it new in the box. I will contact MS in the morning if swapping the back is an option
Post a picture of the black one off ...focus the picture on the tabs so we can see if they are broken...You can secure the green one without issue ?

"I have the green cover still new in the box but doesn't look right on the phone"
Why not try it on the phone yourself, pictures don't really show how cool green or orange for that matter really look.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett