My 1520 has become an embarrassment. :(

Krystianpants

Sep 2, 2014
Visit site
My friends are jealous of my 830. Even iphone 6 users. Granted I run 8.1 GDR2 and wouldn't dream of putting Windows 10 preview on it. But it runs like butter. It didn't with the 8.1 software straight out of the box. I had to update using developers preview. Then I decided to go GDR2 with windows insider by disabling automatic updates and only updating to GDR2 and then removing windows insider from it. One time that I do get the resuming issue is when i'm using GymACE and spotify at the same time. I'll have spotify in the background while at gym and if I like a song and want to flip to it spotify will give the me the resuming problem from time to time. I honestly think it's the app itself as other apps don't give me this issue. Some may be written for older Windows versions. My guess is since spotify doesn't have a transparent tile, they don't take advantage of new api's either.

Also like anything Microsoft will put in less support for older phone models. The 1520 has extremely low market share across the world. The assumption is Windows 10 features will drive people towards new phones. This is the case with pretty much any vendor. I have old samsung gear that does not get supported at all. Honestly even my 830 will be obsolete soon. But i look forward to some high quality new phones.

I think once windows 10 comes out app developers will definitely be taking advantage of the new api's and writing better code in order to take advantage of W10. So it's likely most phones in the 1 gig range will be able to see some improvement. My guess is the 520 will not do so well. And I'm guessing features will be disabled on it. And that's fine, I use mine just for testing.

TrueMetalGeek

Feb 14, 2014
Visit site
Wow it sounds like you got a program causing the processor to run full tilt all the time or something screwing up.

My new-to-me Green Nokia 1520 gives me a notice of the phone being too hot when I am recording some 4K video and asks for me to let it cool down HOWEVER this is with me working on the HOT AS SH** Arizona roof with the phone in a black rubber cover that is then kept in my side belt pouch at who knows what temperature before I even grab it to use it to take video.

Beside it stopping and saving the video when it gives me that occasional notice, it has yet to lock up on me. And I use the crap out of it.

Right now it is installing Windows 10. Which I didn't really plan on doing but the other day I accidentlly signed it back up for Technical Preview when I meant to grab my spare Nokia icon to sign up for that again.

So I hope it isn't messed up like the last time I had Windows 10 in it.
It has been running great on Windows 8.1

My Icon has been running 10149 pretty well lately too (no lock ups) but a few apps won't install and Cortana don't listen to my reminder requests. :-(

Cortana works great on the 1520 with Windows 8.1

Andrew Gordon

Oct 13, 2013
Visit site
Sorry I haven't replied sooner but I appear to have fixed the problems with my phone. All it took was a(nother) screen replacement!
I replaced the screen a few months ago but never connected the problems to the replacement, however after having to replace the screen again this week the problems have gone and haven't returned - yet.
I guess I must have got a faulty screen the first time, although it worked fine.

hyedefinition

Dec 27, 2012
Visit site
These are hardware issues related to the earliest production 1520's. I had to have two 1520's replaced and my third one is from April 2014 and has run smooth since.

Chris Turek

Jul 25, 2014
Visit site
I've had to replace my 1520 about 4 times due to hardware issues but to be honest, I don't mind as long as I get a new working phone in the process.

Wolfseye

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
How can I find out which date my 1520 is manufactured ? Just to be sure i dont have an old one. It shows first few phantom touch/tap issues unfortunately. Problem is that, at least here in Germany, the 1520 has become a total rarity. You hardly get it anywhere anymore, most in 2nd hand actually. I still have no idea why the Lumia 1520 seems to be the only Nokia Lumia Model today that you cant get as much anymore than the other Lumia models. Has the industry removed it for these issues with the Hardware or why is that a Phone I can hardly get anywhere anymore ? As a comparison. Even if Samsung would come out with the Note 5 this August, i still could buy the Note 2 in stores. Why is that and not with the 1520 ?

Wolfseye

Kavindu Thrimanne

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
How can I find out which date my 1520 is manufactured ? Just to be sure i dont have an old one. It shows first few phantom touch/tap issues unfortunately. Problem is that, at least here in Germany, the 1520 has become a total rarity. You hardly get it anywhere anymore, most in 2nd hand actually. I still have no idea why the Lumia 1520 seems to be the only Nokia Lumia Model today that you cant get as much anymore than the other Lumia models. Has the industry removed it for these issues with the Hardware or why is that a Phone I can hardly get anywhere anymore ? As a comparison. Even if Samsung would come out with the Note 5 this August, i still could buy the Note 2 in stores. Why is that and not with the 1520 ?

Wolfseye

If you go to Settings>Extras+info and scroll to the very end. You will see "Build Creation Date". That should be it.
I bought my Lumia 1520 October last year. Back then, the 'Build Creation Date' for my phone was August, 2014 (Can't remember exact date). But I did hard reset in February this year. SO when I check this now, it says 2/2/2015. So if you haven't done any hard resets, hopefully that will display when your phone was created but I cannot guarantee this 100%.

Wolfseye

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
After I returned the one I got last week because of the Phantom Touch, I got the new one today and it says 4/12/2014 as creation date. It wasnt reset prior because its a brandnew device.

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
If you go to Settings>Extras+info and scroll to the very end. You will see "Build Creation Date". That should be it.
I bought my Lumia 1520 October last year. Back then, the 'Build Creation Date' for my phone was August, 2014 (Can't remember exact date). But I did hard reset in February this year. SO when I check this now, it says 2/2/2015. So if you haven't done any hard resets, hopefully that will display when your phone was created but I cannot guarantee this 100%.
Build creation date is the day your firmware was finalized. It has nothing to do with the date of manufacture.

Wolfseye

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
You got to be kidding me. Today I got my 2nd device, I already sent one back (2nd Hand) today because of the phantom touch bug. This time I got a new one, and after doing all the updates, store software installs etc. it just went offline. I was doing something in the mail app when it happend. It just went black. I pressed the ON button, nothing happend. Long, short, even longer etc. for over 10 minutes, nothing happend. Naturally i was starting to get a little angry, something happening to another device of that Model. So I called the company I bought it from. While doing that I attached the phone to the charging adapter, thought it might help. Also nothing happend. Then, while I was on the phone complaining about the phone, it went ON again by its own. Battery was still full. How the hell can that happen ? Is that a bug of WP 8.1 or is this device also broken ?

Wolfseye

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
So there is no way of finding out when this phone was build.

You can look at the original box for that info but there aren't any known dialer codes to get that info.

You got to be kidding me. Today I got my 2nd device, I already sent one back (2nd Hand) today because of the phantom touch bug. This time I got a new one, and after doing all the updates, store software installs etc. it just went offline. I was doing something in the mail app when it happend. It just went black. I pressed the ON button, nothing happend. Long, short, even longer etc. for over 10 minutes, nothing happend. Naturally i was starting to get a little angry, something happening to another device of that Model. So I called the company I bought it from. While doing that I attached the phone to the charging adapter, thought it might help. Also nothing happend. Then, while I was on the phone complaining about the phone, it went ON again by its own. Battery was still full. How the hell can that happen ? Is that a bug of WP 8.1 or is this device also broken ?

It could be a software glitch. In cases like these usually try with a soft reset. If that doesn't work then I would be worried (or hard reset before worrying)

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site
So there is no way of finding out when this phone was build.

I have a relatively early build 1520 (bought around 11/2013), and the "Hardware Revision Number" is 4.1.0.0. I don't really know how or if that relates to the date it was built, but maybe someone with a newer phone could compare it to their version, might offer a clue.

jsooney

Mar 27, 2014
Visit site

Wolfseye

Sounds like a hardware problem to me, not a WP 8.1 problem. Maybe they sold you a refurb or something.

Wolfseye

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
I really don't know. So far it only happend once and not since. Will try rhe device for a few more days and see if more issues arise. If so, I will return it and think about maybe not getting that device again. Not that I really want a different device, but with 2 devices of the same Model with issues on both, that would be really a sign for me that this phone, as cool as it is, is back luck k. But I really hope things will get better in the next days.

Cheers

Wolfseye

Sent from Tapatalk@Note4/OmegaRom1.2

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo