Dent on Lumia 830!!!

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
OMG! My Lumia 830 is just a month-and-a-half old and it's got a dent! On both the corners at the top side, the frame has flattened. Is the Lumia 830's frame made up of too soft metal (aluminium) that it could not even withstand a slight force! What if I need to get it repaired in the future due to inevitable defect! No, I wouldn't be able to get it serviced under warranty, would I? :crying: I shall have to pray that the person in-charge at the Care store doesn't notice it. :unhappysweat:

Anyone in the same boat?

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
Depends on how bad your dent is, which is hard to know w/o pics. If you are talking about a nick in the frame from a drop, any aluminum frame will do that.

If you are talking about the frame being bent, it may be fixable. Personally, I added an Incipio case to mine, to give it some rigidity, because it feels a little delicate.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
The Lumia 830's frame is made out of aluminum. I've (unfortunately) dropped my Lumia twice now. Both times caused a scuff on a corner of the frame (both corners of the left side now), but no dents.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Depends on how bad your dent is, which is hard to know w/o pics. If you are talking about a nick in the frame from a drop, any aluminum frame will do that.

If you are talking about the frame being bent, it may be fixable. Personally, I added an Incipio case to mine, to give it some rigidity, because it feels a little delicate.

The Lumia 830's frame is made out of aluminum. I've (unfortunately) dropped my Lumia twice now. Both times caused a scuff on a corner of the frame (both corners of the left side now), but no dents.

Here are the images of my 830's flattened corners. The images are clicked using my laptop's camera which is horrible!
WIN_20150710_20_39_39_Pro.jpgWIN_20150710_20_40_17_Pro.jpg

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I see phones with those types of nicks on the bezels all the time. I don't any aluminum frame is not going to get marked up like that - I don't see that as being unique to Nokia.

jay6600

Oct 20, 2013
Visit site
both my 925's have theese small dints aswell ,you can either live with them or hide/or perhaps even prevent them with one those rubber skins which make ur phone a little horrible

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
Here are the images of my 830's flattened corners. The images are clicked using my laptop's camera which is horrible!

I got a dent just like this on my L830 from a fall onto concrete. On mine the aluminum is visible as it scratched off the anodized layer as well. No big deal. Aluminum is fairly soft.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
It did not fall. It had hit against the wall and my table's leg accidently while picking it up. But not that hard btw :unhappy:

Last edited:

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Hate to say it, but that's what cases are for.

I too used a case for my 830. But it didn't feel good. And finally, I took it off. That was a very bad decision though.

It's the curse of owning really expensive smartphones.

Really :cry: (But not much expensive :wink: )

Does 930 have the same problem? I don't think so because it's frame it thinner and rounded at the corners.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Deepak, I'm sorry about your phone. However, you banged it up against something. It is not as if you just touched it with your finger and the metal caved in.

Please, let us be realistic. Too many times people damage their phones when handling them and then try and make it out to be a defect. It does not hold up. Was your phone designed to be "hit against the wall and my table's leg" as a normal use scenario? I believe not. Is it engineered and tested to withstand some forces that might normally occur? Yes. Did you exceed those forces? Obviously you must have.

Will other users of the phone read your post and try to "hit their phone against the wall and a table's leg" to try and see how much or how little force you must have used to whack your phone to cause the dents? Not a chance.

What is your goal here? Sympathy? I feel bad your device got damaged. Validation? Nope. You bang your phone against stuff you take the consequences. A refund or free repair? We have no control over that. A warning to 830 users about a "defect" in the phone? Damage due to accidental handling is not a defect, it is a consequence. Sometimes stuff happens, dude.

Again, I'm sorry your phone got dented...

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I too used a case for my 830. But it didn't feel good. And finally, I took it off. That was a very bad decision though.

Given that I have the worst luck ever, taking the case off is almost a guarantee that bad things will follow.

On my 930, I didn't even use it until the case arrived. It is just too expensive of a phone to replace to take a chance. I have seem numerous Icons with dings worse than yours. In fact, I have one in the other room.

On the plastic body phones (1520, 920, 925, 1020, etc), they will scuff also, but since they are plastic, it is not quite as noticeable.

These are great phones - but they are phones.

BTW - I see iphones that look worse than yours all the time. Samsungs as well. Any phone will chip if it's not protected and it gets banged or dropped.

To be honest, in looking at your pics, you were about 1.5 inches away from a screen replacement. Maybe that's a silver lining for you.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Deepak, I'm sorry about your phone. However, you banged it up against something. It is not as if you just touched it with your finger and the metal caved in.

Please, let us be realistic. Too many times people damage their phones when handling them and then try and make it out to be a defect. It does not hold up. Was your phone designed to be "hit against the wall and my table's leg" as a normal use scenario? I believe not. Is it engineered and tested to withstand some forces that might normally occur? Yes. Did you exceed those forces? Obviously you must have.

Will other users of the phone read your post and try to "hit their phone against the wall and a table's leg" to try and see how much or how little force you must have used to whack your phone to cause the dents? Not a chance.

What is your goal here? Sympathy? I feel bad your device got damaged. Validation? Nope. You bang your phone against stuff you take the consequences. A refund or free repair? We have no control over that. A warning to 830 users about a "defect" in the phone? Damage due to accidental handling is not a defect, it is a consequence. Sometimes stuff happens, dude.

Again, I'm sorry your phone got dented...

Not at all for any of the reason you stated. Just wanted to know how many have the same problem. Because, already I had received a defective product and so I feel doubtful about every thing that happens to it. It certainly did not hit anything so hard as you may be thinking. Trust me, I really love my 830. Which is why I bought it second time even after I got a defective one at first. This does not make me love my phone less.

I should have posted it in the off topic lounge btw. People take it too seriously.

Mr Lebowski

Dec 11, 2013
Visit site
Where did you get the blue anodized aluminum frame ? perhaps that's an aftermarket frame, they come in dark grey, sliver and white don't they? BTW because you ( maybe someone else did ? ) dropped it and it sustained a dent doesn't constitute a defective phone. Sorry for you loss :cry:

Last edited:

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
Where did you get the blue anodized aluminum frame ? BTW because you ( maybe someone else did ? ) dropped it and it sustained a dent doesn't constitute a defective phone. Sorry for you loss :cry:

I read all of my posts here but didn't find anywhere I had said that the dents are a defect! :confused: It does have a defect and it is screen related. But I never termed the dents as a defect because it's a common sense and no one (including me) would ever say it was a defect!

The problem actually is that due to these dents maybe I would not be able to get my phone serviced under warranty IFF something unfortunate happens to my phone in near future.

Again, I know it's happened because of my fault (but an accident) and am not saying it's my phone's defect :unhappy:

So you did that twice ? there's 2 dents.

No. One dent for wall and other for table.

Deepak

Jul 2, 2014
Visit site
OK sorry... but a BLUE frame isn't a factory color is it ? perhaps that's an aftermarket frame... and isn't as strong as OE ?

It's not a blue frame! It's silver. It is appearing so because of the camera used to click the pictures. It was just 2MP laptop camera! Lumia 830 is available only in two frame variants viz. Black and Silver and they're not replacable.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo