Here Drive Battery drain

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I've recently started using my 920 as a satnav (last couple of days) after I bought a mount on ebay. The mount came with an in-car charger but when I've been using Here Drive, my phone has been slowly discharging (and as such would definitely not last the 3 or 4 hour drive I do every so often. Is it simply a case of needing a higher powered charger? Or is it an inevitability that it will slowly discharge regardless? Would appreciate some advice!

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Navigation uses a lot of power. Not sure how much A your chargers is but if you could try to get a (good quality) 1 or 1.5 A charger.
What also helps is to switch of the screen and only switch it on if "needed" (enable double tap to wake) or use low brightness. Furthermore it will probably help if you have a long drive to "hack" it in pieces so there is less calculation needed.
Or if you do not "need" live traffic it also will help to "preserve" battery.
Some times my 925 also drains during navigation but sometimes it loads the battery. (I have a 750 mA QI charger, CR201).

gMaesterUK

Jun 29, 2014
Visit site
I would say a better charger, I use Here Drive a lot and on a 3-4 hour drive I would have fully charged my phone (from around 70-80%).
Sadly cheap chargers are rubbish, I think I paid around ?10 for mine even though there was one's available for sub-?5.

I have a Lumia 830, have traffic updates on with updates every 5 mins, have announced instructions are loudspeaker and my screen is on auto-brightness. Only thing I do differently, is that I have Night-time screen settings on permanently for personal preference (from my TomTom days).

G.

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Navigation uses a lot of power. Not sure how much A your chargers is but if you could try to get a (good quality) 1 or 1.5 A charger.
What also helps is to switch of the screen and only switch it on if "needed" (enable double tap to wake) or use low brightness. Furthermore it will probably help if you have a long drive to "hack" it in pieces so there is less calculation needed.
Or if you do not "need" live traffic it also will help to "preserve" battery.
Some times my 925 also drains during navigation but sometimes it loads the battery. (I have a 750 mA QI charger, CR201).

Seeing as it came free with a (cheap) mount it's not very good quality and probably not a high ampage either. I didn't think of that for longer journeys, I'm often on motorways with no action needed for 50 miles or so. It's just frustrating when driving around a city. I turn off live traffic as my data is capped, only have location on. Thanks for the help!

SamJHannan

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I would say a better charger, I use Here Drive a lot and on a 3-4 hour drive I would have fully charged my phone (from around 70-80%).
Sadly cheap chargers are rubbish, I think I paid around ?10 for mine even though there was one's available for sub-?5.

I have a Lumia 830, have traffic updates on with updates every 5 mins, have announced instructions are loudspeaker and my screen is on auto-brightness. Only thing I do differently, is that I have Night-time screen settings on permanently for personal preference (from my TomTom days).

G.

Sounds good to me, don't suppose you bought it online and would be able to post a link would you? I was just tentative about spending ?10 on a charger that was no better than a cheap one - I'm a comp sci student working at the same time so money is tight.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb