So I've been having problems with "auto" mode in Lumia Camera 5 and default camera for taking reddish pictures. I want the picture to look natural and this 13 MP camera is a joke compared to my very first Lumia 822's 8 MP camera! I used to take phenomenal shots with it. Now the problem has been bugging me even further because I couldn't convince my friends that the XL is a bang for the buck because they saw how badly the camera performs. I know of the manual controls in Lumia Camera 5 ofc but I am not an expert, so any help appreciated? And I do hope Microsoft is somehow listening to users feedback and releases an update to fix the auto mode.
    07-11-2015 09:34 PM
    A really nice read if you have some time: http://forums.windowscentral.com/gui...tter-pictures-[guide].html

I'm not sure if he wrote in some Lumia Camera info though.
    libra89 and Laura Knotek like this.
    07-11-2015 11:11 PM
    Is there a case on the phone that may be affecting the photos?
    07-12-2015 01:23 AM
    What are the difference between the following in the Photos + Camera Settings?
    - Microsoft camera
    - Lumia Camera
    - Lumia Camera Beta
    Thanks
    07-12-2015 03:04 AM
    Is there a case on the phone that may be affecting the photos?
    Nope. BTW most of who bought the XL in Egypt complains about the camera performance on Microsoft Lumia Egypt's FB page and even some users here mentioned the problem in Bugs and Defects thread.
    07-12-2015 09:43 AM
    Hope my beginner's photography skills help, only learned these after getting my 640 XL:

Set white balance manually when taking photos outdoors under bright sun to avoid the reddish or yellowish tint. In case you are not sure, White Balance is the top in portrait or most left setting in horizontal. Select sunlight or cloudy depending on situations.

For low light photos, use slower shutter speed (second from right in horizontal, you will see values like 1/16000 which is fastest to 4s slowest). Slow shutter speed will allow more light into your camera sensor, but will tend to be blur unless you have a tripod or super steady hands.

Another setting for low light is ISO. With slow enough shutter speed you can set lower ISO to minimize noise. Higher ISO will also capture more light, but will be more grainy/noise, but higher ISO you can set faster shutter speed to get a steady shot. Play with these settings to find the right quality photos you desire.

Here's one example, a night photo of a brightly lit building: ISO 100, Shutter speed 1/6
    wp_20150713_21_16_08_pro.jpg
    Last edited by s3iryu; 07-14-2015 at 03:32 AM.
    07-13-2015 10:51 PM
    Excellent comment and advice, thanks
    07-14-2015 02:42 AM
    What are the difference between the following in the Photos + Camera Settings?
    - Microsoft camera
    - Lumia Camera
    - Lumia Camera Beta
    Thanks
    Lumia Camera Beta is a bit more experimental than Lumia Camera.

I'd stick with Beta or the Lumia Camera for you. The chief benefit of MS Camera was speed, but that only really applies to older models.
    07-14-2015 09:04 AM
    07-14-2015 04:41 PM
    Hope my beginner's photography skills help, only learned these after getting my 640 XL:

Set white balance manually when taking photos outdoors under bright sun to avoid the reddish or yellowish tint. In case you are not sure, White Balance is the top in portrait or most left setting in horizontal. Select sunlight or cloudy depending on situations.

For low light photos, use slower shutter speed (second from right in horizontal, you will see values like 1/16000 which is fastest to 4s slowest). Slow shutter speed will allow more light into your camera sensor, but will tend to be blur unless you have a tripod or super steady hands.

Another setting for low light is ISO. With slow enough shutter speed you can set lower ISO to minimize noise. Higher ISO will also capture more light, but will be more grainy/noise, but higher ISO you can set faster shutter speed to get a steady shot. Play with these settings to find the right quality photos you desire.

Here's one example, a night photo of a brightly lit building: ISO 100, Shutter speed 1/6
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WP_20150713_21_16_08_Pro.jpg 
Views:	19 
Size:	2.56 MB 
ID:	108490
    Thanks mate! You're the best :)
    07-19-2015 07:56 PM
    I'm glad I read this thread for tips

sent from my iPhone...asking myself why I own one
    libra89 likes this.
    07-20-2015 12:08 AM