Can I use my Lumia 810 powerbrick/cord to charge my new Lumia 640?

stocktiki

Nov 17, 2014
Visit site
The charger that came with the Lumia 810 is much nicer than the one that came with the 640.

The 640 came with a AC-20U: output: 5V; 750 mA

The 810 came with a AC-50U: output 5V, 1.3A

Will it damage the 640 or its battery to charge it with the 810's higher build quality charger?

Thanks!

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
No problem you can use the 810 charger for your 640 it will not damage your battery.
Due to cost reduction the 640 chargers is "only" a AC-20.

JuannyBooBoo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Due to cost reduction the 640 chargers is "only" a AC-20.

Really?? :eck:

I had reused an old charger & cable from another phone, and my L640 complained that it was charging slowly, and that I should use the charger included w/ my device. Verifying the specs on the charger, it said it was 1A, and my USB power meter confirmed that power was flowing at ~0.98A. I checked which charger came w/ my AT&T packaged GoPhone, and it said AC-20U, 750mA. I was thinking that must have been a mistake...

I haven't yet tried charging w/ it, but I'm assuming it really is a 750mA charger, and the phone will complain. If this is a MS/Nokia cost-cutting decision, I'm thinking they could take a few lessons from Apple about "user experience..."

etad putta

Oct 1, 2013
Visit site
Really?? :eck:

I had reused an old charger & cable from another phone, and my L640 complained that it was charging slowly, and that I should use the charger included w/ my device. Verifying the specs on the charger, it said it was 1A, and my USB power meter confirmed that power was flowing at ~0.98A. I checked which charger came w/ my AT&T packaged GoPhone, and it said AC-20U, 750mA. I was thinking that must have been a mistake...

I haven't yet tried charging w/ it, but I'm assuming it really is a 750mA charger, and the phone will complain. If this is a MS/Nokia cost-cutting decision, I'm thinking they could take a few lessons from Apple about "user experience..."

Apple device =$650. Lumia 640=$29.99. I don't care if it comes without a charger or usb cable at that price.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Really??

Something about that charger that your 640 didn't like. The chip(s) that regulate charge must have slowed it then. It could be the way the pins are wired, maybe the voltage, etc.

You don't say what other phone that charger was from that got "slowed" by the 640. On my 640 I've used the supplied 750mA, an AC-50U at 1.3A and once I even used an Asus Nexus 7 (2013) charger that outputs 5.2v/1.35A and the 640 never complained.

There is something else going on apart from the amperage.

JuannyBooBoo

Nov 4, 2015
Visit site
Something about that charger that your 640 didn't like. The chip(s) that regulate charge must have slowed it then. It could be the way the pins are wired, maybe the voltage, etc.

You don't say what other phone that charger was from that got "slowed" by the 640. On my 640 I've used the supplied 750mA, an AC-50U at 1.3A and once I even used an Asus Nexus 7 (2013) charger that outputs 5.2v/1.35A and the 640 never complained.

There is something else going on apart from the amperage.

It did strike me as very odd, that the 640 would be complaining. These are chargers that worked fine for my previous two phones, a L635 and Moto X (2013). One charger was a 1A charger from a T-mobile MyTouch 3G, and a generic GE two-port 2.1A charger. I'll definitely need to play around w/ it to confirm...

One thing interesting about my L635 from before was that every blue moon or so, when I would plug it into any charger, it would complain that it was charging slow. These included chargers that were known to work fine before. Only when I rebooted the 635 would that message disappear, and it resume charging at near 1A...

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos