I tried, I like, I'll be back

NadaAddict

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I got a 640 and I like what they're doing, but for now I'm back on Android. I'll still use it on the weekends and to check out win10 until a flagship comes out. I'm a minimalist by nature, so I don't have an alarm clock. Lack of a decent alarm clock like they have on Android and iOS sucks. Google Now and Google Keep are the only other show stoppers keeping me from a full conversion at this time. Cortana does work well though. I'll buy a frickin alarm clock if they release a good phone, but not a rewrite of a good Android phone a year later... Ya hear me HTC M8?

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad you're liking the 640 so far.

I hope Windows 10 Mobile will have better alarm apps for you and everyone else who uses their phones as their alarm clocks.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
The built-in alarm function in Windows works just fine, assuming you get a very annoying ringtone to assign for it. I use something called "Chicken Rap"

As with many things in Windows, you don't need "an app for that."

Not sure what other functionality is required for an alarm clock other than making loud annoying noise, and ability to snooze & repeat.

boonesmi

May 17, 2015
Visit site
i use the alarm clock on windows phone 8.1 all the time. it seems to work great and do everything i want/expect from an alarm. plus its very easy to use. im not sure what else the OP is looking for in a "good" alarm clock?

stevemind

Jul 25, 2013
Visit site
The alarm in win10 hasn't let me down (And I work shifts). Re-alarm is great and looks good. Wouldn't trust a ios/droid alarm if you'd paid me!

NadaAddict

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
i use the alarm clock on windows phone 8.1 all the time. it seems to work great and do everything i want/expect from an alarm. plus its very easy to use. im not sure what else the OP is looking for in a "good" alarm clock?

A good alarm is the Android version of gentle alarm... Not the windows version. Gentle Alarm starts out whisper quiet, and increases the volume over a five minute period. It will also play anything you have on your phone, or start pandora, Google music, iheart radio, etc. It also allows multiple profiles, and multiple alarms. THAT is what a "good" alarm does. I don't need, nor like being waken up like I'm under attack. I got enough of that in Iraq and Afghanistan.

Last edited:

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
A good alarm is the Android version of gentle alarm... Not the windows version. Gentle Alarm starts out whisper quiet, and will play anything you have on your phone, or start pandora, Google music, iheart radio, etc. It also allows multiple profiles, and multiple alarms. THAT is what a "good" alarm does. I don't need, nor like being waken up like I'm under attack. I got enough of that in Iraq and Afghanistan.

I understand what you're saying.

Thank you for your service!

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Google Now and Google Keep are the only other show stoppers keeping me from a full conversion at this time.
I can't see Google porting those over anytime soon even with Windows 10 mobile. Any reason you can't use OneNote? I say this as I used Keep on my Android too, but OneNote works just as well unless I'm missing something? :)

NadaAddict

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
I can't see Google porting those over anytime soon even with Windows 10 mobile. Any reason you can't use OneNote? I say this as I used Keep on my Android too, but OneNote works just as well unless I'm missing something? :)

Nope, and that's what I'll use when I switch. I'm not bashing windows phone, I just want a good alarm clock and I'll figure out all the rest. I even found an app that controls my lighting that tcp says they wouldn't make... It was made by a third party...and it's faster than the stock app on Android.

Kavindu Thrimanne

Apr 10, 2014
Visit site
I was okay with alarm in Window 8.1 and now I'm using it in Windows 10 mobile build 10166. It has the basics and does its job except for the fact that every morning I hit snooze and sleep again :3

James8561

Dec 3, 2012
Visit site

i agree with this. realarm is the best alarm app on windows

txkimmers

Nov 19, 2012
Visit site
I miss the shake options to snooze or dismiss alarms from my Android days. I really hope they add something like this into the WP alarm app. Anyone know of an existing WP app that does offer shake gestures?

Jack Neill

Sep 30, 2013
Visit site
The heading of this thread has described my use of WP since 2010. I love it. It falls short in some way. I leave. I miss it. I go back. Rinse. Repeat. 2015.

coolbreeze78

Nov 11, 2004
Visit site
I miss the shake options to snooze or dismiss alarms from my Android days. I really hope they add something like this into the WP alarm app. Anyone know of an existing WP app that does offer shake gestures?

Not sure about shake but Plarm has some stupid hard math that WILL get you out of bed. It's impossible to bypass and is honestly a pain in the ***. But I need it some mornings.

NadaAddict

Sep 27, 2014
Visit site
Not sure about shake but Plarm has some stupid hard math that WILL get you out of bed. It's impossible to bypass and is honestly a pain in the ***. But I need it some mornings.

A mosquito can fart and wake me up. I need a very quiet alarm that slowly gets louder, not a klaxon.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ailanamargarett