Who at NOKIA had that terrible idea to make buttons like this, and all on the right side ?

Wolfseye

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
I really like the 1520, dont get me wrong. But something thats very annoying, especially from a so far non-Lumia user, to have all buttons on the right side and the ON/OFF button in the middle so its pretty guaranteed that I press that all the time while I am just keeping the device in my hands. And especially since the keys are so soft to press, its hard to avoid pushing those.

And of course, I can put a case around it, would make it harder to place the buttons. But first, there are not many nice cases compared to the many I get for Android phones. Just a few, most of them are pretty ugly and not even very protectice compared to others. Because for me, carrying the 1520 in a leather belt case, i cant put the phone with another case to prevent the key pressing into that leater belt bag. It will be far too big with the protective case and I cant fit it into the leather case on my belt.

So what is the best way to NOT all the time press the ON/OFF key ? I mean especially with a big device like that, you need big hands (ideally) and you definately come to these buttons. What can I do to avoid that ?

Thanks in advance.

Wolfseye

N_LaRUE

Apr 3, 2013
Visit site
The way the keys are set up is based on MS design guidelines for buttons. Nothing to do with Nokia. Android doesn't have such a guideline for exterior buttons.

As for not pushing the button, you'll get used to it eventually and you'll stop doing it. It's like anything else. Just a matter of time.

Wolfseye

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
I really hope so, because atm its annoying. Maybe in time I get used to it. ;) Since I can either have a case around the phone, which would make it harder to get to these buttons by accident, or a leather belt case where I can put the device into. I cannot use both. Right now I am using this case for my belt (http://www.amazon.co.uk/Matador-Ver...ag=hawk-future-21&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3156037) and its really not bad. I wish there was something like this, but with a bit more space so I could keep one of the TPU cases that go directly around the phone inside.

Wolfseye

chris_gt

Apr 8, 2014
Visit site
It's not a microsoft design guidelines issue. HTC and Samsung have been selling Windows Phones with different button layouts since the beginning.

Think the three buttons on one side are bad? I used to take accidental screenshots half the times I unlocked my phone due to having the power button and volume buttons just opposite of each other on the Ativ S.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I used to take accidental screenshots half the times I unlocked my phone due to having the power button and volume buttons just opposite of each other on the Ativ S.

I had the same issue on a 1st gen Blu Win HD I test drove...

On my 1520, I have it in a crystal clear snap on case, because I want to show off how big and very YELLOW it is. :grin: A side benefit is that the button position is very tactile. You know where a button is by feel without looking.

Drats... I looked for a link, but it seems clear is discontinued... Here is the case in 30 different colors. Amazon.com: CoverON? Slim Hard Case for Nokia Lumia 1520 with Cover Removal Tool - (Pink Bow Ribbon): Cell Phones & Accessories

For a holster it fits in the case into this one: http://www.amazon.com/Horizontal-Le...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3156480

psiu_glen

Dec 26, 2011
Visit site
Buttons are awesome but im left handed i only have problem with camera button,

Err, what? You can still trigger the button with your finger wrapped around the device, or the off hand, and it also works just fine "upside down". A lot easier than using a "real" camera upside down...

sinime

Retired Moderator
Sep 13, 2011
Visit site
Only real issue I have with the buttons on the side, is trying to secure the phone in a mount to hold it on my bike. I have to finale it just right so the grips don't hit any buttons and it's not the safest position for the phone to be in, but it works.

Blenyc

Apr 14, 2015
Visit site
Err, what? You can still trigger the button with your finger wrapped around the device, or the off hand, and it also works just fine "upside down". A lot easier than using a "real" camera upside down...

Can wrap my hand around it really easy also most of times I use it one handed

Wolfseye

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
For me it's still confusing and especially since the on/off button is so easy to press, it happens a lot that i lock the screen without noticing that I did it. Either the button layout should be different or the buttons could use a bit more feedback so that the ON/OFF button isn't pressed down as easy. Works in a tight TPU case but again, then I can't get it into my belt case. Really hard to get used to.

Sent from Tapatalk@Note4/OmegaRom1.2

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As others have stated, it doesn't take long to get used to.

If you really can't work with it, then just return the phone and choose something else that has buttons you can live with.

Members online

No members online now.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
powerupgo