Whats your motivation to have / keep a Lumia 1520

Wolfseye

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Out of curiousity, if you would have a Lumia 1520 and, with all its issues and flaws but also great other attributes, what would be the reasons for you to keep or exchange that phone against one of the other Lumia / Microsoft devices ? Of course depending on your individual use and expectations on a device like that. Especially those of you with longer use of this device could maybe describe your reasoning to keep (or newly get) this device above all other Nokia or Microsoft Phones.

If thats ok, I would like to additionally attach a vote on this subject, but of course I would really love to hear you also describe in more detail why this phone. Again, if I annoy you with questions / posts like this, I am truely sorry. But as I said before in other posts, I am fairly new to this Device and already had my issues with it. But no matter, i would still love to keep this phone and I am looking for other people's reasoning / arguements why to either keep it and just except these things or why another of the WP would be better suited.

My appologees ahead in case this post is not wanted. Curiousity wins in my case, hence the question and relevance here for me. ;)

Cheers

Wolfseye

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I've had mine since launch.

I'm not sure what you mean by "all it's flaws and issues". As far as I know, it only really had a touch sensitivity issue that was mostly solved with a firmware update.

If you want to go through the problems you're having, we can see if you're just having problems with the software or whether there's a hardware issue that requires repair. I'm not sure that creating a poll based on your own experience is going to achieve much.

Wolfseye

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
I'm not sure that creating a poll based on your own experience is going to achieve much.

I am weighing out my own opinions and just would like to see what other people say / think about this device so I can think about if some Cons are worth more than the Pro's with its result of having to switch to another phone. And since I am new to this device, people with longer experience of this device could help me decide.

Thx

Wolfseye

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
When I was using a 925 and I was getting ready for a long trip abroad, I wanted the very best Windows Phone I could get to take along with me. I looked around the forums and did my due diligence for research here and elsewhere (although, in all honesty, this forum is probably far and away the best place to research 1520) and decided 1520 was that ultimate phone.

I got the device in August, 2014. Took a trip in October of 2014 and absolutely depended on my 1520 every day there. If I had a phone that didn't function I would have been hard pressed to get through the vacation as enjoyably and efficiently as I did. The phone was my lifeline, my camera, my navigator, my translator, my entertainment, my internet, my planner, my go to for everything I needed on vacation. And it did it all and did it wonderfully.

I had some flex related tap/scroll issues after a few months. I changed my pocketing habits, gently and patiently straightened the device and got a rigid snap on case to replace a soft TPU one. The tap/scroll issues have not returned. I had some resume issues at the begining and resolved those as well by getting rid of a lock screen picture changer and taking Cortana off the Start screen. Cortana has been back on Start for some time inside a Live Folder, but my resuming never came back.

Again, this forum, and the users on Windows (Phone) Central have been an invaluable resource and reading here has helped me keep my device running properly.

I'm keeping mine.

There is no other that equals it as of yet. 930/Icon and One M8 users might pretend, but I know they are just close to 1520.

Why?

That big screen and it's beautiful and crisp and easily seen in daylight.
That big battery that lasts and lasts. I tested it to the limits with super power use during my trip.
That big on megapixels camera.
That big processing power of the SD 800 SoC and 2 GB RAM.
That big storage capacity with 32 GB onboard and a microSD slot.
That big advantage of Lumia firmware.

1520 is still the big kid on the playground. I think it has big potential for the future and Win 10 Mo, which is the next big adventure my 1520 and I will make together.

1520 is still a big deal.

Tom Snyder

Apr 16, 2013
Visit site
I got myself and my wife each one this April, she's a iPhone defector, got tired of being hooked to a battery charger and very low storage capacity. I even got her one of the Mophie battery cases with the built in 32GB of additional storage. Cured the storage problem but still her iPhone was no where close to battery life of my 2 year old N920. She likes it and would never consider going back to her iPhone 5s, she still has her old iPhone she had before the 5s and its battery will still go for days, the grand-kids use it to play preschooler games on.

We've yet to have a problem with either of ours, both were bought on eBay.Unbelievable battery life and a screen that has plenty of room to work on, not to mention the great hardware and camera the 1520 has, and when you slip a 64gb or a 128gb card in them you never worry about room.

I still carry the 920 to work, I have to climb in in pipe-racks, into tanks and work on industrial equipment, I know beside twisting the 1520 screen it would get crushed eventual, some places I go to work I have to take the 920 out of my pocket, I've even crushed full case pocket watches climbing and twisting around at work. But away from that kinda work the 1520 goes with me and I don't wear skinny pants, so it doesn't get twisted in my pockets and I really wonder if they'll make anything close to a 1520 in the future.

Wolfseye

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
I am still in the process of getting used to WP instead of Android (which I also still use) and getting used to this Phone. If, when WP10 comes out around October or November (from what I read) i am also curious about the 940 XL about which i heard some nice spec rumors. If at that time I still like WP and got used to it completely, I will sell my Galaxy Note 4 and maybe also get the 940 XL for collecting. :) i have to wait and see. But if there is one thing i notice all the time with the 1520 in my hand, it's that extremely well feel in my hand from the material used for the 1520. The kinda rough but not too much polycarbonate they used for the back almost makes addictive to hold it LOL...

It's almost a sacrilege to put it into a protective case since you can't feel that anymore after. ^^

Sent from Tapatalk@Note4/OmegaRom1.2

Adeel 360

Jul 30, 2014
Visit site
I've had mine since launch.

I'm not sure what you mean by "all it's flaws and issues". As far as I know, it only really had a touch sensitivity issue that was mostly solved with a firmware update.

If you want to go through the problems you're having, we can see if you're just having problems with the software or whether there's a hardware issue that requires repair. I'm not sure that creating a poll based on your own experience is going to achieve much.

I have the touch problem and its a hardware issue from what I know. I used to have a 620 a year ago then I got a Lumia 1520 and I love it !! Specs are good and overall its a great phone. I just need to replace the screen and it will be perfect again.

Wolfseye

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
It would appeal the 1520 is one off those devices that's actually worth the cost swapping things like the display. Would i really care so much about putting in money to swap the display of my Galaxy Note 4? I doubt it.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
As a bit of feedback for you (in terms of cases etc), I've had my 1520 since launch day and it's been used pretty heavily and I'm certainly not obsessive about keeping it in good condition.

I don't use a case, or a screen protector (usually carry the phone in my pocket, but not next to keys/change etc). After 18 months or so, the only marks are a few light scuffs on the back (where it contacts the desk) and a small chip in a corner where I dropped it. I have no scratches or marks on the screen itself, the buttons all still work and have good feedback (not loose or wobbly).

Wolfseye

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
The only place i probably use a TPU case would be when i am out with my bicycle. Just in case i get a call while driving and i had in the past a few times that a phone slipped my hand by accident and then broke without protection case. But for regular use without that i probably also don't use a case but just rather my leather belt cases where I can slide it in vertically.

But what I really miss from Android is the choices of keyboards. I will miss my SwiftKey keyboard app. WP keyboard is just nothing in comparison for me. But I suppose i also get used to that in time.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Have you seen "Word Flow" in operation on Windows Phone? It's easily as good or better than SwiftKey.

Wolfseye

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Have you seen "Word Flow" in operation on Windows Phone? It's easily as good or better than SwiftKey.

No, I didnt know that. But I also dont find it on the Store (Germany). Why is that ? Is it an app that is region limited ? I hate that if so.
Or is it the same keyboard app with different functions ?

​Wolfseye

Wolfseye

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
Ah ok you mean only the swipe option. Well, i was never a big swipe fan. And I really miss features like in SwiftKey. I don't understand why MS doesn't let other people create different keyboards to give people a choice. Too bad.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
It's enabled by region, and I believe that you should have this feature.

On settings, go to the "keyboard" setting page and then tap on the keyboard name (for me, this is "English (United Kingdom)" - you'll see it says "tap to change" under the name.

When you tap on the keyboard name, you'll get a list of options you can set whenever you use that input language. The bottom option is "Type as I flick through letters".

More information here regarding this feature.

Windows Phone typing shortcuts | Windows Phone How-to (United Kingdom)

Microsoftjunkie

Jun 19, 2012
Visit site
Hi, I love my 1520. Ever since I seen it in a ATT when it was released.

I love it's giant screen
It's Apical display
It's superior daylight readability
It's smooth operation
It's 4 high performance mics
It's superb camera with ois

I look at movies and shows more on my phone than my flat screens. The loud speaker is pretty good too.

Honestly, when I look at new phones and see reviews, performance tests, etc. I'm never impressed and I always say, you can't tell the difference between sd800 or sd808. This phone is still a complete package and still have a couple years left in it.

Pete

Retired Moderator
Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Ok, I was confusing SwiftKey and Swipe.

You've kind of run into one of the fundamental limitations/strengths of Windows Phone. When developers write apps for Windows Phone, they're only allowed to access certain features and objects, and isn't allowed to interact with other apps or data on your device. This is called "sandboxing".

The limitation is that you can't write an app that can change the behaviour of other apps (can't change the keyboard, can't lock other apps down with a pin, etc). This is a security/stability restriction made so that one app can't potentially steal data from another (if you can write a keyboard app, you can potentially make that a keystroke logger)

Wolfseye

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
(if you can write a keyboard app, you can potentially make that a keystroke logger)

But doesnt MS checks for Apps in their store about the code contained ? From what I know, iOS is a pretty secure System too, and from what I know they have 3rd party keyboards by now so I suppose they check for these things. Couldnt MS do the same ?

​Wolfseye

Marko Marjanovic

Feb 12, 2015
Visit site
I started with some HTC and win7, then 735 was anounced and i was like ,,omg such a beauty, i will save and get her"! After geting 735 i noticed flaws ehen turning on. Screen would go puxelated then flicker and back to normal. In start, i didn't notice but after some time it start to be worse and worse. Carrier shop told me to send it on repair but i know how phones are repair here in Serbia, so i declined.
Found i guy from Germany who had 1520 in a box. I did research and find out many many temting things, and only desing was enough to get me in, after seeing spec i was totaly on. It have cpu faster then my pc, camera who can be really good abd decent compared to my photocamera at the time. Guy was nice and wated a change, we swap and i pay him extra bucks..aroud 200? more.
Since day one i was overly protective. I would care about it like it was a baby. Got screen protectors, cases and after..hm, year or maybe less then year it broke in my pocket. A week ago i squat (no tight jeans but i workout and my quads are massive so every jeans is tighter) with hard case on it and lcd behind glass break. It was touch-dead and i was too. Didn't slept that day.
Only problem i had is heating, but i rearly play games so it heat to..understable degree, still it's flaw.
Now i use 830 and deadly miss my 1520! Will reapir it as soo i get money, after that i don't know..i might use it without case like 830, even if it slippery.

Wolfseye

Jul 11, 2015
Visit site
I dont find this phone slippery. I tried a few of the other Lumias in the store, including the 640 and I have to say, most of them are more slippery. I dont know if all the colors of the 1520 Models are the same matt and rugged feel to it, because I know that some of the other Lumia models differ in colors from its surface material feel from others. Some are glossy, some are not. From all the phones I had in my hand in my life, nothing comes close to the feel in my hand from the (black) 1520. I dont know if there are differences with that in the other Models of the 1520.

robert5377

Feb 20, 2014
Visit site
it works perfect for me as long as i don't put windows 10 preview for phones on it but other than that never freezes on me camera is awesome 20 mp carl z lens fast i love it

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
rogertewarte