Would you buy the new Lumia 950 XL Flagship , even if they had outdated hardware?

YAZAN_s

May 24, 2014
Visit site
Lumia-950XL.jpg

i know , everyone is waiting for the new lumia flagship , and we saw some really nice specs

but just stop and think for a minute , you know they will release those phones in the Q4 ( before or after the new year 2016 )

with the snapdragon 808 !!

so why im angry ? you know its obvious because i saw this specs before 6 months on every flagship phone from all the company's

and here our beloved Microsoft finally decided to put it in the next flagships ( yes after 4 months and maybe more ! )

so when you will see the next nexus or lg with the SD 820 , you will just look at your 500$ device with the old hardware

If this is a Q4 handset, then they should at least benefit from the SD820.

The more I think about a L950 with an SD808, the more attractive a new Nexus (with an SD820) sounds.

( and don't tell me that we don't need a high specs because we will pay a good money for it ,and add on we know that lumia flagships had some heat issue , also we know that SD 810 have some serious heat issue , so it will be a nightmare when you see a lumia with SD 810 )

If they were really smart they would wait for the SD820.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com
Re: would you buy the new Lumia Flagship , even if they had an ( Outdated Hardware ) ?

Just saying... Lumia 940. Not 950.:p
Outdated hardware is redundant. A phone comes out with the latest and newest and two months later it's archaic. The Galaxy S6 is the most powerful mobile device to ever see the light of day (according to benchmarks) yet in a few months something will have surpassed it. If I could've found one (they were all sold out) I would've bought a Lumia 1520. Instead I settled for the Lumia 830 (which is still amazing), but I would've been perfectly happy with a device running a Snapdragon 800 when the 801, 805, 808, and 810 have all come out since.
As long as Microsoft releases a beautiful, reliable, sturdy phone that brings innovative, genuinely useful features, a fantastic camera and slick performance I wouldn't care if they were powering it with a potato. In fact, if they make Windows 10 Mobile efficient enough to run off potato power then that would be even better. Yeah, it's better for marketing and blah, blah, blah, but I, personally, don't care. If it came with the Snapdragon 820 no one would care because they'd all be saying they should've waited for the Snapdragon 830.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Re: would you buy the new Lumia Flagship , even if they had an ( Outdated Hardware ) ?

Constantly chasing the future can keep from getting a phone.

In the long run, I don't think on-paper specs matter as much as the tech press and OEMs want you to believe. I look for a well rounded performer with solid user reviews.

trivishal

May 1, 2015
Visit site

In the long run, I don't think on-paper specs matter as much as the tech press and OEMs want you to believe. I look for a well rounded performer with solid user reviews.

Yeah, paper specs sheet don't matter but real life performance of smartphones does matters which very much depends upon customized vs non-customized processors (eg. Snapdragon 810 vs 820 ), processor speed ( eg. The low end 1.2 ghz quad core 400 is not a beast performer), heating issues ( eg. too much seen in snapdragon 615 and 810 processor). With these issues, if you are trying to guess as intel i3 beats the blazing performance of i7, then I agree with you that tech specs and reviews from tech geeks and OEMs don't matter.

YAZAN_s

May 24, 2014
Visit site

Just saying... Lumia 940. Not 950.:p
Outdated hardware is redundant. A phone comes out with the latest and newest and two months later it's archaic. The Galaxy S6 is the most powerful mobile device to ever see the light of day (according to benchmarks) yet in a few months something will have surpassed it. If I could've found one (they were all sold out) I would've bought a Lumia 1520. Instead I settled for the Lumia 830 (which is still amazing), but I would've been perfectly happy with a device running a Snapdragon 800 when the 801, 805, 808, and 810 have all come out since.
As long as Microsoft releases a beautiful, reliable, sturdy phone that brings innovative, genuinely useful features, a fantastic camera and slick performance I wouldn't care if they were powering it with a potato. In fact, if they make Windows 10 Mobile efficient enough to run off potato power then that would be even better. Yeah, it's better for marketing and blah, blah, blah, but I, personally, don't care. If it came with the Snapdragon 820 no one would care because they'd all be saying they should've waited for the Snapdragon 830.

that's not the point ,yes no one can chase the future , but we all know that there will be a powerful stuff after 2 or 3 months

but microsoft will still use the old ones with the heat issues instead of the new ones that will be available at the same time ( its already availbe for the next phones like the next nexus , the upcoming lg g pro 3 , ETC .... )

++ imagine someone bought an old potato while he can buy the new fresh tasty potato at the same time ++

i think we will see the note 5 after 3 months , and we will see a huge spec , and they will cost the same !

that is the big problem !

( i already have some serious heat issue with my lumia 930 !! )

Last edited:

sst154

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site

SD810 was a very expensive mistake for HTC. I can imagine how MS would take such risk and even more if it's one of it's last opportunities.
Even if the phone works well with a SD810 only the name with prevent a lot of people from buying it and it will probably have bad rep given all the issues it had
But also consider that the supposed L940 that leaked had an hexa core with Adreno 430, so it can't be a SD808 nor a 810. Maybe MS is having custom SoC's from Qualcomm.

Zachary Boddy

Staff member
Aug 3, 2014
www.windowscentral.com

We've already been waiting too long for proper Windows flagships, and waiting any longer for new processors that may or may not be superior and Microsoft may or may not have access too is...I don't think I have to say anymore. If Microsoft makes a solid, beautiful phone, then I'm good.

YAZAN_s

May 24, 2014
Visit site

We've already been waiting too long for proper Windows flagships, and waiting any longer for new processors that may or may not be superior and Microsoft may or may not have access too is...I don't think I have to say anymore. If Microsoft makes a solid, beautiful phone, then I'm good.

yes , we all hope so , but also we know that SD820 , will be available for every phone will launch after a few months , so when micro will release thiers phones with the SD 810 , you will see at the same time a new phones with the SD820 , at the same price !!

Ragav suriya

May 30, 2014
Visit site

According to digitimes . Microsoft even started to plan low budget Lumia's with snapdragon 210 with LTE so they are changing old hardware strategies like sd200 400 800 to 210, 808(in flagship)
suriya ragav

trivishal

May 1, 2015
Visit site

According to digitimes . Microsoft even started to plan low budget Lumia's with snapdragon 210 with LTE so they are changing old hardware strategies like sd200, 400, 800 to 210, and 808
suriya ragav

Microsoft should put latest processors in Flagship Lumias, as well as in Mid range smartphones and budget phones.

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

Tomorrow's flagship will be yesterday's news the minute you buy it. If you absolutely must have the latest and greatest, I hope your last name is Rockefeller so you can afford to buy a new phone every 3-4 months. Buy what suits you now and stop worrying about the future, you might get hit by a bus this afternoon.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
would you buy the new Lumia Flagship , even if they had an ( Outdated Hardwar...

Considering htc released a 4 megapixel camera smartphone and apple continuously has released its iPhone with midrange specs at premium smartphone prices I really can't be too hard pressed about this tbh. Specs aren't everything unless they are woefully behind compared to others

I know htc fans do tend to brag that the m8 has 801 processor over the icon and other Lumias 800 processor but in reality it doesn't matter.

I really don't care about the processor as long as it performs l the tasks it should in a more than adequate manner. This is windows phone so having the top of the line processor is nice but not a requirement. Android...definitely.

Besides I'd rather a slightly outdated processor to the one that is newer and apparently has heating issues.

sent from my iPhone...asking myself why I own one

UncleGrandpa

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site

With WP, latest hardware isn't a formula for success. Its about the feel, weight, shooter, expandability, flexibility, and most importantly...Windows 10.

trivishal

May 1, 2015
Visit site
Considering htc released a 4 megapixel camera smartphone and apple continuously has released its iPhone with midrange specs at premium smartphone prices I really can't be too hard pressed about this tbh. Specs aren't everything unless they are woefully behind compared to others

I know htc fans do tend to brag that the m8 has 801 processor over the icon and other Lumias 800 processor but in reality it doesn't matter.

I really don't care about the processor as long as it performs l the tasks it should in a more than adequate manner. This is windows phone so having the top of the line processor is nice but not a requirement. Android...definitely.

Besides I'd rather a slightly outdated processor to the one that is newer and apparently has heating issues.

But, wouldn't you love to have latest SOC and Hardware in your device worth for as much as you pay? Or, Are We Lumia users against to use latest hardware and processors to use cheap, low quality devices?
And by the way HTC corrected that mistake by giving 20 MP camera in HTC One M9. Iphone has latest hardware combinations and best hardware software optimization so it don't need to have too much high Androish Specifications. And I genuinely think that OVERHEATING, GIMMICK ONLY OCTA-CORE SNAPDRAGON 615 and 810 PROCESSORS shouldn't be used in Microsoft Lumia Smartphones

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

But, wouldn't you love to have latest SOC and Hardware in your device worth for as much as you pay? Or, Are We Lumia users against to use latest hardware and processors to use cheap, low quality devices?

I don't mind having the latest and greatest but having used the iPhone I also see where having moderate specs isn't always the worst thing simply put because so many of these oems release top of the line products with awesome specs yet they don't know how to perfect them.

Case in point the Apple iPhone. I still would choose a lumia camera as they are powerful and have more use but my iPhone 6 camera has sometimes performed both my 1520 and lumia 640 xl.

I notice lag every so often with iOS. Same with windows phone. Using a same spec 1 gb android phone the performance is always subpar.

It has nothing to do with lumia. If you can exceed expectations with moderate means to where I can't tell I am lacking then I am for that. But don't just throw top of the line specs out if the product isn't using them perfectly.

Let's be real. The lumia 1520, while being the best windows phone out and even the 640 xl are sort of useless.

Why? Because while they are phablet in size in truth they are no different than any other windows phones.

Nokia and Microsoft released a phablet to say they have one and yet I can't do much of anything I can do with other phablets. I just have a bigger than all lumia phone lol. If you recall I think it was really windows phone 8.1 where the 1520 potential truly showed.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

And by the way HTC corrected that mistake by giving 20 MP camera in HTC One M9. Iphone has latest hardware combinations and best hardware software optimization so it don't need to have too much high Androish Specifications. And I genuinely think that OVERHEATING, GIMMICK ONLY OCTA-CORE SNAPDRAGON 615 and 810 PROCESSORS shouldn't be used in Microsoft Lumia Smartphones

Htc corrected that mistake in megapixels. The camera is still crap and my 8 megapixel iPhone outperforms it. Hence why htc is not doing any better even with top of the line specs.

Also if you're saying Apple doesn't need to have high specs then why are you giving them a pass but not others. Why does Apple get to get by because it can optimize better but everyone else needs the specs?

sst154

Feb 25, 2015
Visit site

I'm sure most WP users don't care too much about having the latest hardware, BUT MS needs to urgently expand it's MS and it is one of it's last chances. So MANY people (specially other platforms users) care about the latest hardware, and if you add the bad reputation that the SD810 has i think it won't be a good idea to uase it without a little costumization that could change people's perception and (justified) prejuices.
Apple doesn't use top specs but they use custom SoC's that have much more added value than a bad rep more-than-6-month-old Soc in a vital flagship.
IT'S ALL ABOUT CUSTOMER'S PERCEPTION and not all about specs. Buying something with a SD810 represents at least a risk for the buyer even more in a very expensive flagship.
Appart from that it's obvious that always there's going to be something better, but given the VERY SHORT life cycle of current products, a person would feel much more secure buying something with a new SoC that will las for a longer time than a "old" SoC with bad reputation. It's all about perception. And functionality, obvoiusly.
Good bye/buy

fatclue_98

Retired Moderator
Apr 1, 2012
Visit site

But, wouldn't you love to have latest SOC and Hardware in your device worth for as much as you pay?
iPhone users don't seem to mind. Can't say they're in the minority judging by sales figures.

BTW, Lumia users don't "settle" for lesser processors, we just know we don't need them. Windows Phone users appreciate the experience. We leave the bragging to the Android crowd.

abhinavsaprey

Jul 23, 2014
Visit site

I think Microsoft is going to use latest processors in its oncoming devices. What makes me think so you might ask.

According to Joe Belfiore, in a video explaining the Continuum feature on phones, he said specifically that this feature requires newer hardware from Qualcomm which supports running two displays simultaneously....

So this might indicate inclusion of custom made SoCs for newer flagship Lumias....

Just my take on this...

sumeet shukla

May 29, 2014
Visit site

Well it depends. I bought a L1020, because of its camera 10months ago. What can you say ofcourse few hardware specs were outdates, but its not the end of the world. Camera was my main aspect for phone selection .

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Brilliantick99