AT&T 830 upgrade status no longer listed

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
My understanding is that the OTA upgrade to Win 10 Mo is still at the carrier discretion...

Once on Win 10 Mo, Microsoft has more control. That's because they are decoupling many features and services from being baked in to being standalone product. This way they are just updating their "Apps" and carriers do not have to test Apps. Carriers still test the slimmer core OS, but that testing should go quicker with less App conflicts being possible in their testing phase.

LaVike

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
I'll bet you guys AT&T will be quick to push 10 + Denim while VZW twiddles its thumbs.

What are you willing to bet? Let's put some terms on it like duration and what constitutes an update.

I seriously think that we've seen that last of ATT L830 updates. We might get a critical fix but only if it positively impacts ATT's bottom line like if the update can somehow free up some bandwidth or something totally critical. Face it, the ATT L830 is ATT's attempt at outdoing VZW's lack of support for the ICON. Two "flagships" that are more like "ship anchors".

I've said it before and I'll keep saying it, if you want to stick with Windows Phone, do not buy from a carrier.

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
I don't understand the carrier vs. non carrier unlocked phones. What, if anything, would I be missing if i had an un locked 830 from the MS store? Would I get the highest speed ATT band?

mark233

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
I'm not with AT&T (T-Mobile) ... I have 2 devices that are not T-Mobile (Lumia 830 - RM 985 and Lumia 735 - RM 1039). Where I live I get T-Mobile 4G LTE speeds on both of these. What I don't get from T-Mobile on these devices --- Wi-Fi calling (not critical for me) --- High Definition calling (the call quality on the Lumias are great out of the box -- not a deal breaker). What I also don't get is having a phone that has firmware/software updates available but are being *tested* for months by the carrier (if they decide to even push the update).

Both of these unlocked Lumia's have received the full Denim update. Windows 8.1 Update 2 has been released (HTC One M8 Windows) --- that is the Verizon and AT&T models. Not so with the T-Mobile version. In fact, T-Mobile no longer even offers the the M8 for sale (still for sale at Verizon and AT&T). They ran out of stock and EOL'd it after 4 months. I have a gut feeling (hope I'm wrong, but it really doesn't matter to me any longer) they will no longer support their version of the M8. This is why I've made the decision to no longer buy a carrier locked phone. :)

Last edited:

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Mark has a good point. What you don't get is that hostage feeling at update time.

Ask yourself, is there any Carrier App or service I can not live without. (AT&T nav or Uverse integration or HD voice) If the answer is no, they have nothing critical, get a Factory Unlocked version.

Dirigent82

Jul 29, 2013
Visit site
Mark has a good point. What you don't get is that hostage feeling at update time.

Ask yourself, is there any Carrier App or service I can not live without. (AT&T nav or Uverse integration or HD voice) If the answer is no, they have nothing critical, get a Factory Unlocked version.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one of the issues with unlocked phones is the upfront cost. Part of being on some sort of contract is a lowered upfront cost for the phone. Of course there are other routes to go: eBay, used phones, etc. But, those aren't always an option when the phone is brand new.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
True. You do have pay to for the whole phone at once. In most parts of the world that's how it is done every day.

Studies have repeatedly shown you save money on phone + service by purchasing separately. You can search the web for that intelligence. It's readily available and I'm about Binged out ATM.

If you simply can't afford the phone of choice and have to go contract, Oh Well. But ask yourself this: when has buying over time ever reduced cost? I've not bought a phone for myself out of a carrier store since 2005. I'm not wealthy by any measure. I've had a lot of phones in the past ten years and a good many BNIB. Bargain hunting, used and scrimping and saving all play into it, sure. There is also borrowing against the future. Get a new phone and reduce the ouch factor by selling the old one when the new arrives. I've owned a lot of phones - mostly past tense. I'm unloading my backup now and using that money for a new toy when I have cash in hand.

Last edited:

Harrie-S

Retired Ambassador
Sep 26, 2014
Visit site
Correct me if I'm wrong, but I think one of the issues with unlocked phones is the upfront cost. Part of being on some sort of contract is a lowered upfront cost for the phone. Of course there are other routes to go: eBay, used phones, etc. But, those aren't always an option when the phone is brand new.

Indeed but then again the upfront costs make it at least clear what you actual pay for your phone.

About branded phones.
1 Did it not take a "lot" of time before I think T-mobile had the 640 and AT&T had the 640 XL?
So I think the advantage of a unbranded phone is that it should be available earlier then a carrier specific device. (Icon to 930 excluded)
2 If you can (willing to) wait a few months a new device will drop in price.
3 And advantage of a branded phone may be the (extra) insurance you can buy/get.

tangledW

Banned
Aug 11, 2014
Visit site
I don't even care at this point.

In a couple of months the new flagships will be out and most likely I'll be moving back to Verizon (as long as it's available there or unlock from Microsoft with all the bands needed) as I've started to buy my phones outright of contact.

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Yes, you should, because you can't use Lumia Camera 5 and we don't have Update 2, either. We likely aren't getting it from the looks of things.

It is almost enough to make me sign up for Twitter to "talk" with them. And anyone who knows me knows that means the Devil is now shoveling snow in his own driveway.

Almost... Then I came to my senses.

LaVike

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
So....

I just bought and unlocked my RM-983......

Should I be concerned then?

ThePolice,
Can you return it or was it purchased from a private party. If you purchased it from MS or ATT, I would return it. You can get W10 to run on it but that isn't the issue! The issue is the FIRMWARE!! Don't let anyone tell you that W10 will solve all of your problems. If you want to be able to use the fully advertised functions of the phone (i.e. Lumia Camera 5) then the RM-983 won't get you there. I bought one and I'm stuck. I personally do not feel that ATT will ever update the firmware on this phone. I believe this phone is in the same boat as Verizon's ICON, it won't be supported.

I also personally believe that this attitude towards flagship phones by the U.S. carriers will continue. They worship iOS and Android and could really careless about Windows Phone. If you can buy the RM-985 (MS Store Unlocked version of the 830), then you will be able to get the updated firmware.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
It is almost enough to make me sign up for Twitter to "talk" with them. And anyone who knows me knows that means the Devil is now shoveling snow in his own driveway.

Almost... Then I came to my senses.

doesn't matter.... on twitter, they give the same, or similar, canned response:
"Hi there. I know new updates are exciting AT&T Consumer Products | AT&T . They are announced there when released. "
this was last week when I asked about the 830. no other response since then.

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
I usually buy my phones second hand because I know I always tinker with them and can't afford to do that with the 830 I have now. It's the first new phone that I have purchased in ages thanks in part yo AT&T Next. The last new phone I bought BNIB was the Motorola i875 for Boost Mobile. We are talking 7-8 years ago. Anyway, I see AT&T maybe giving the 830 along with the M8, 1520 and of course the 640XL the go ahead for Win10. Reason being is if the recent stories I have seen hold true, MS is streamlining their phone selections coming next year. Apple releases the updates on their own without input from the carriers. MS is trying to do the same starting with Win10, and if executed correctly will work out great.

Gilbriem

Jun 19, 2015
Visit site
The really monumentally frustrating thing is that AT&T seemingly holds all the cards in this situation. And they clearly don't care.

I'd love to be able to stop making just the Next payment for my 830

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I've tweeted ATT about it a few times. I only got one response, which was generic, like the above.

It's a great phone as it stands, but it is frustrating to be missing a few things, like Lumia Camera 5.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
So....

I just bought and unlocked my RM-983......

Should I be concerned then?

Depends upon what you paid, and if you like it as it is. You can put Win 10 on it anytime you want. We just can't get update 2. Not sure if that will ever roll out or not for this phone, like it has for the RM-985 variants.

It's a great phone as is.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Felix999