AT&T 830 upgrade status no longer listed

gmfeld

Nov 16, 2012
Visit site
ATT sucks, no doubt. At this point I'd fall off my chair if they were to actually deliver what they said they were when this phone was released. I'm waiting to get an unlocked one of the new flagship devices being reported.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

anon(123856)

Feb 9, 2013
Visit site
Where are these screen shots from? Too long for Tweets. Are they on the ATT site? Who are you communicating with?
It looks like the AT&T community forums. They don't provide anything but canned responses there either. There are dozens of threads there asking/begging for information and all you get is "stayed tuned". No real information ever appears.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
It looks like the AT&T community forums. They don't provide anything but canned responses there either. There are dozens of threads there asking/begging for information and all you get is "stayed tuned". No real information ever appears.

same answer most people get attempting to contact them using ANY method.

Joi Rhone1

Jul 28, 2015
Visit site
I am soon ticked off!!! I purchased this phone on 7/6, so I am past the 14 day return window and it is crippled by lack of firmware update. What can I do???

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I am soon ticked off!!! I purchased this phone on 7/6, so I am past the 14 day return window and it is crippled by lack of firmware update. What can I do???

Sorry to say, but this has been known for a long time. If you purchased in July, you had to go in with eyes open. People who purchase last Nov have a right to be PO'd.

As for crippled w/o new firmware - give me a break. The phone is anything but crippled. It basically lacks a camera feature, but is still a good phone.

LaVike

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
Gordo,
The phone is a mess! The only phone that I've had that was worse was a Nokia candybar phone that was sold on Voicestream (remember them?) and it only had 1 U.S. band on it. Terrible reception on that PoS! The RM-983 is very close. Here are my issues:

1. I usually have to dial folks twice because the first time the call is just about guaranteed to drop.
2. The BT music stream used to stutter and stop during playing. I thought this was something that got fixed with the "emergency update" from ATT (hey, they actually have the ability to deploy an update!). However, this weekend it has started to stutter more and more when I'm playing music via BT on my car stereo.
3. The BT will randomly hang. My MS band will not be shown as connected to my phone but my phone will show it as being connected. I try to connect to MS Health to see some stats and then it will say it won't connect. The exact same thing occurs on my car stereo.
4. Trying to use any kind of turn-by-turn navigation is worthless. The phone will "attempt" to communicate via BT to the car stereo but the first 3-5 seconds get cut off. Usually all I get is silence and then "TURN!" Even when I happen to be listening to music on the phone via BT and it isn't trying to play "name that tune" with me by stuttering.
5. Wifi is pretty hosed also. The phone will indicate that it is connected but sometimes when I go to the MS Store or somewhere online it will timeout. This happens even as I'm on my computer going through the same wireless gateway as the phone is connected. UGH!!! It is amazing that this phone ever got through FCC approval with all of the shenanigans that got along with it's BT AND wifi connectivity.
6. I'm not sure if this is the phone's fault or if it is MS's wonky Health website but if I'm on a run/hike/walk and try update my stats on MS Health, it takes forever for a sync to occur! How much of the Library of Congress are they trying to pass between each other. I was thinking of taking XFINITY or whoever's commercial that says you can download an HD movie in the time it takes to eat a cookie and make a video that says you can eat a cookie in the time it takes for a sync to occur between the MS band and my RM-983. But the reason I'm using the Band and my phone is to improve my health, not to get in worse shape! I might be able to snarf down a whole row of Oreos in the amount of time that it takes for these two juggernauts of technology to ship their massive amounts of data. Really, how long can it take to sync the data that a Band can hold!!!

So, how do you live with the RM-983? YOU CONSTANTLY RESET OR SHUT IT DOWN TO CLEAR OUT THE CRAP THAT SCREWS THE VITAL THINGS UP! It seems that the RM-985 doesn't have these issues.

While I don't agree that people should know that their purchase of the RM-983 was a loser from the start. I actually thought that we'd get GDR2 because the 830 would still be sold by ATT at the end of July. And that would mean that ATT would have to put the "kill switch" function firmware, which seems to solve all of my other problems, into the 830. But I'm sure the only thing that ATT is thinking is how they can mess over at least as bad as Verizon did on the ICON.

But the moral of the story is do not by a Windows Phone from a carrier or a carrier locked phone. This doesn't mean that MS won't pull one over on you but then you know who is giving you the big one.

gordonfink

Dec 5, 2014
Visit site
I've had around 10 830's come through, 2 of which I used as personal phone for several months. I haven't had any of those issues. I don't have a MS band though.

If your phone is that much of a lemon, I hope it's less than a year old, so you can get it fixed under warranty. I don't think your issues are typical.

poit57

Aug 8, 2014
Visit site
LaVike's issues don't sound typical to me either.

I've had my AT&T 830 for about 4 months. It has had minor issues here and there, but nothing what LaVike is expressing. I occasionally have to power cycle to get the MS Band to sync with my phone, but nothing that didn't occur on my Lumia 920. I don't use bluetooth for audio nearly as often. I really only use it while running. The audio will randomly cut out for a second, but again, this is the same behavior I experienced on the 920.

The strangest thing that I've come across is that the wi-fi indicator will show that I'm connected to my home router when I've been away from home for hours. The LTE data will continue to work, so I usually don't know when it's happened unless I intentionally look at the wi-fi icon. It requires power cycling the phone to be able to connect to a different router if I am near one.

Other than that, I rarely ever tried to watch Netflix on my phone, but I have been affected by that issue in the past. The camera functions just fine for my needs, but I would like for AT&T to release the latest firmware just out of principle.

I looked at Amazon's trade-in offer on this phone with Fitbit, and they are currently offering more than the sale price that I paid 4 months ago, but I can't really trade it in until I find a suitable and affordable replacement. There are lots of options, but Qi charging is a key feature that I'm looking for.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
3. The BT will randomly hang. My MS band will not be shown as connected to my phone but my phone will show it as being connected. I try to connect to MS Health to see some stats and then it will say it won't connect. The exact same thing occurs on my car stereo.

... the time it takes for a sync to occur between the MS band and my RM-983. Really, how long can it take to sync the data that a Band can hold!!!
No such issues with the Band and L830 here. It clearly seems you have some BT issues with yours.
still doesn't change the fact that I am frustrated to be on ATT with it.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss