AT&T 830 upgrade status no longer listed

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
So for a while the US status webpage has shown the 830 AT&T and CV versions:

Status Website

Now though the "Not available" status of the AT&T version has gone. In fact the whole AT&T specific model has gone.

How odd.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
So for a while the US status webpage has shown the 830 AT&T and CV versions:

Status Website

Now though the "Not available" status of the AT&T version has gone. In fact the whole AT&T specific model has gone.

How odd.
been that way for at least a week... hoping it's an oversight since the 830 came with denim minus the needed firmware update for things like Lumia camera to work. hopefully it hasn't been added to the "don't care" list by at&t since I just got mine like 2 weeks ago

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
We've all been so patient. I mean the phone was advertised last year with features we're still waiting for!

Let's hope AT&T are rolling out as your linked thread suggests - but if anyone had got it surely we'd have heard here.

Derausgewanderte

Dec 18, 2011
Visit site
ATT gives a crap about Lumia users. That is pretty obvious. Just follow some of our twitter chats with ATTCares or LumiaHelp. And that is exactly number 1 reason for me to leave them and find another carrier. In fact if I wrote my opinion here you'd see a bunch of cryptic text.....

ah, I missed my 1000's post! time to celebrate ;)

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Honestly that's why I am so glad to have my first truly unlocked lumia. I don't like having to wait for ages for an operator to maybe update my phone.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
sent from your iPhone - ROFL

Lol yes I am rocking an iPhone unhappily so but I also have the two best windows phones right here with me ;)

ea34c96ad3239294b52787e197ce26e5.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
Just because the websites don't have them on there doesn't mean they aren't available. The AT&T stores here in the LA area still have them. Im not sure about the MS stores though

LaVike

Apr 1, 2011
Visit site
While we are all guessing, here is my guess:

ATT is abandoning the 830. They are doing this so that they do not have to test Win 8.1.2 for the 830. 8.1.2 is required for the "kill switch" capability for any phone sold after July 2015. If ATT isn't selling the 830, then they don't have to test 8.1.2 for any new phones sold AND THEY DON'T HAVE TO UPGRADE THEIR CURRENT FLEET. Win10 is right around the corner and if someone even mentioned Win11, then ATT would probably dodge ALL Win10 phones saying that they will fully deploy Win11 phones but secretly hoping that someone else mentions Win12.

So, my guess is that the ATT 830 will not get upgraded to anything other than what it currently has. It's a Win-Win-Win for ATT. They don't have to test a device, they don't have to upgrade a device and they can push off deploying any new flagships (affordable or otherwise - does anyone else get a little chuckle when they think "affordable flagship"?) Windows Phones for another generation.

The moral of the story, DO NOT BUY A CARRIER BRANDED WINDOWS PHONE! It might sound good and it is for other phone OS's but it is a loser for Windows Phone. Plus, you will eliminate one of the foot-draggers in the OS update food-chain. Then you can just beat on MS for not deploying a phone. Seriously, do not get a carrier branded WINDOWS PHONE. If you want carrier branding, then go iOS!

realwarder

Dec 31, 2012
Visit site
While we are all guessing, here is my guess:

ATT is abandoning the 830. They are doing this so that they do not have to test Win 8.1.2 for the 830. 8.1.2 is required for the "kill switch" capability for any phone sold after July 2015. If ATT isn't selling the 830, then they don't have to test 8.1.2 for any new phones sold AND THEY DON'T HAVE TO UPGRADE THEIR CURRENT FLEET. Win10 is right around the corner and if someone even mentioned Win11, then ATT would probably dodge ALL Win10 phones saying that they will fully deploy Win11 phones but secretly hoping that someone else mentions Win12.

So, my guess is that the ATT 830 will not get upgraded to anything other than what it currently has. It's a Win-Win-Win for ATT. They don't have to test a device, they don't have to upgrade a device and they can push off deploying any new flagships (affordable or otherwise - does anyone else get a little chuckle when they think "affordable flagship"?) Windows Phones for another generation.

The moral of the story, DO NOT BUY A CARRIER BRANDED WINDOWS PHONE! It might sound good and it is for other phone OS's but it is a loser for Windows Phone. Plus, you will eliminate one of the foot-draggers in the OS update food-chain. Then you can just beat on MS for not deploying a phone. Seriously, do not get a carrier branded WINDOWS PHONE. If you want carrier branding, then go iOS!

Odds are this is the case... have an large Enterprise WP customer who was expecting WP8.1U2 on the 830 who is now expecting WM10 to be the next update.

ashram

Jan 30, 2013
Visit site
Odds are this is the case... have an large Enterprise WP customer who was expecting WP8.1U2 on the 830 who is now expecting WM10 to be the next update.

Wouldn't be the 1st time an update is held back to release a collected update later. It's just that devices should be actively supported at least for the 1st full year after release before getting the lazy "combine multiple updates" mentality.

ThaKrazyOne

Aug 4, 2013
Visit site
From what I know, when Win 10 is released, it will be more controlled by MS for the updates. Once a phone has been given the green light for Win 10 from the carrier, then it gets updated. MS is taking a cue from Apple on this one. The carriers will still have some input on what to add on top of the stock OS, but it's MS call on when to distribute the updates, no longer the carrier.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
From what I know, when Win 10 is released, it will be more controlled by MS for the updates.

I have to wonder if Microsoft's statement about controlling the updates themselves goes along with their statement about about not selling phones through the carriers as much. It could be that nothing will be changing with how much control the carriers have over their own branded phones. By Microsoft selling more phones unlocked and unbranded, the carriers will not be involved in the update process.

Microsoft simply does not have the power to tell the carriers what to do. That's the reason we have so many carrier exclusive Windows Phones in the first place. If Microsoft can sell more unlocked phones themselves or through other distribution channels, it will take control away from the carriers.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss