**Thinking of buying the Microsoft Lumia 640XL please give me your experiences with it be it good or

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Suggest get 650. Comes with w10m and double the onboard storage out of the box.

Thanks for your suggestion but this thread is solely for the pros and cons of a lumia 640 XL for people wishing to buy it and reading reviews of fellow Lumia 640 XL users.

swille1981

May 9, 2016
Visit site
I think it is perfectly fine for someone to suggest the pros and cons of the 640 XL and ultimately advise someone to consider another device should that meet the needs of the person who originally asked the question.

I went back to the Lumia 640 XL after a stint with Android. I downgraded from the Galaxy S5 after it seemed like Marshmallow was going to be delayed, tried the P8 Lite I had again before switching to a Moto G 2015. There are far too many issues with Android devices trying to run on lower specs. I found the Moto G to be deceptively smooth until multiple apps started building up. And yes, it was upgraded to Marshmallow.

The 640 XL is thinner, has a larger screen that is great for viewing media, and the processor / RAM combination is more than adequate to handle Windows 10. I liked the 650 in the store when I played around with it. However, I wasn't too thrilled with the 210 processor. I noticed some lag on the device just moving between menus. Maybe it was because it was a display unit. I liked the build quality and the screen.

oviedofreak82

Aug 13, 2013
Visit site
The 640 XL has a killer battery. For me, it goes the entire day (from 5AM until midnight on a single charge ending at 40% which includes Bluetooth on all day connected to my Band, frequent texting, reading emails and viewing webpages often, on the phone for about an hour talking). My old 925 would've run out of juice by 3 PM. The camera takes beautiful pictures both front and rear. For a phone its size, it fits perfectly in my pants pocket and using it one-handed is very manageable. I love the interchangeable cases that are available.... Mine definitely stands out as an orange phone in a sea of bland black, gray, and white smartphones that I see around. There are more but I am just listing the pros off the top of my head.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I think it is perfectly fine for someone to suggest the pros and cons of the 640 XL and ultimately advise someone to consider another device should that meet the needs of the person who originally asked the question.

I agree but this is for the 640 XL only as id like the thread to remain on topic so that 640 XL users or soon to be users dont get offended or upset.
Thank you for your wonderful review though. Im delighted your loving the 640 XL.

?ire

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
The 640 XL has a killer battery. For me, it goes the entire day (from 5AM until midnight on a single charge ending at 40% which includes Bluetooth on all day connected to my Band, frequent texting, reading emails and viewing webpages often, on the phone for about an hour talking). My old 925 would've run out of juice by 3 PM. The camera takes beautiful pictures both front and rear. For a phone its size, it fits perfectly in my pants pocket and using it one-handed is very manageable. I love the interchangeable cases that are available.... Mine definitely stands out as an orange phone in a sea of bland black, gray, and white smartphones that I see around. There are more but I am just listing the pros off the top of my head.

Yes and yes the battery is insane lol. All day use heavy use is excellent. I have mine now almost a year and the battery is getting better lol. Thanks so much for your review.

?ire

swille1981

May 9, 2016
Visit site
After a few days with my Lumia 640 XL I noticed call quality issues. After spending some time with the device I determined it was a lemon and went back to the Microsoft store where I purchased the phone. They didn't have any 640 XL's in stock, but they did have the 650. Since it was the same cost, I did an even swap. The difference in call quality is night and day. The only problem that I have is the camera lens on the back of the phone.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
After a few days with my Lumia 640 XL I noticed call quality issues. After spending some time with the device I determined it was a lemon and went back to the Microsoft store where I purchased the phone. They didn't have any 640 XL's in stock, but they did have the 650. Since it was the same cost, I did an even swap. The difference in call quality is night and day. The only problem that I have is the camera lens on the back of the phone.

Sorry to hear that you had issues with it. Did you try a soft reset first or hards reset before you brought it back? I havent had any issues like that I almost have mine a year and very happy with it. Sorry to have lost you from the 640XL squad :(

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site
Well after getting a 640 for almost free and playing with it for a few weeks, I decided the only thing I didn't like was the size of the screen. My eyes aren't getting younger, and I've gotten used to the screen on my OnePlus One.

So, after almost pulling the trigger on eBay a few times, I went ahead and bought a 640xl today.

Will the OS be smart about replicating apps and settings from the 640? I'm running the W10 insider preview (fast track) on the 640 and plan to do the same on the xl. Live it up.

Timbre70

Jul 10, 2014
Visit site
Big screen is overhyped. 4 to 5 incher is the optimal. What you get in a larger screen is usually more empty space in between plus maybe a bonus of extra line or two. What is more important is the fonts used and overall design of apps.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
Big screen is overhyped. 4 to 5 incher is the optimal. What you get in a larger screen is usually more empty space in between plus maybe a bonus of extra line or two. What is more important is the fonts used and overall design of apps.

Coming from a lumia 520 to the lumia 640 XL I have to disagree. I love the big screen I use mine for gaming and watching videos and the big screen is amazing! The apps are more defined. Thanks anyway.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I debate between the size of the 650 and 640 XL. The performance on the XL is more consistent, but the 650 is more easily handled. This is especially true one handed. If I didn't have a self imposed ban on purchasing a new phone I would probably have both. The screen is nicer on the 650 in that if I go landscape I don't have to worry about polarization with my sunglasses which makes the screen completely unreadable like it is on the 640/640 XL.

ubizmo

Nov 15, 2011
Visit site

The empty space is not a mere detail. It makes reading what's on the screen a bit easier on the eyes. My wife has a 1520, which is very comfortable for me to look at, but too big for me to carry. The 640, which I have, is smaller than my OnePlus One, and I do notice the difference. I'm hoping the XL will hit the sweet spot. And for $125 I'm not risking a lot of money on it.

Arizona Willie

Aug 18, 2015
Visit site
I bought the 640 XL because I wanted continuity with all my other devices which are all Microsoft.

But I < would not buy it again > because Microsoft just sold it's windows phone business.

I expect little to no support from now on.

It will soon be a paperweight.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I bought the 640 XL because I wanted continuity with all my other devices which are all Microsoft.

But I < would not buy it again > because Microsoft just sold it's windows phone business.

I expect little to no support from now on.

It will soon be a paperweight.

I think you might be confused with Nokia selling to microsoft their lumia range. Sure they are currently working on the surface phone. So support will still be there.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
The empty space is not a mere detail. It makes reading what's on the screen a bit easier on the eyes. My wife has a 1520, which is very comfortable for me to look at, but too big for me to carry. The 640, which I have, is smaller than my OnePlus One, and I do notice the difference. I'm hoping the XL will hit the sweet spot. And for $125 I'm not risking a lot of money on it.

I would say go for the XL it has change my life and I havent looked back. Yes the price is a bit steep but so worth it.

djeire84

Aug 1, 2014
Visit site
I debate between the size of the 650 and 640 XL. The performance on the XL is more consistent, but the 650 is more easily handled. This is especially true one handed. If I didn't have a self imposed ban on purchasing a new phone I would probably have both. The screen is nicer on the 650 in that if I go landscape I don't have to worry about polarization with my sunglasses which makes the screen completely unreadable like it is on the 640/640 XL.

I have to disagree with you on your last point I wear sunglasses and I can see the screen perfectly. When im out and about I just change my theme to light and it makes a huge difference. Only on sunny days the majority of the time I have it on dark.

neodk

Jun 23, 2015
Visit site
I assure you that when I wear my sunglasses and try to view the screen in landscape it goes black regardless of what is displayed on the screen. It's annoying. If I remove my sunglasses I can see the screen just fine.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb