Business Insider iPhone 6 and Alternatives

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Hi all.
Turned my phone on this morning and went to the news tile and found an interesting article. The item was pointing out that iPhones are "seriously overpriced" and have a poor resale value. They offer up alternatives to the iPhone 5c and 6
You have the Moto there, a galaxy, a Chinese Huwaeii P8, a One+One, and to my amazement the 640 and 640xl!!!! They even offer a nice review of the phone!
I have a 930 and I bought a 640 last week. Why does the 640 feel so much nicer in hand, compared to the 930??

So there you go, a website that provides a positive review of the 640 compared to an iPhone ( based on monetary consideration and performance compared to the iPhone ). And we thought it would never happen!!

Last edited:

Mad Cabbie

Retired Ambassador
Jun 9, 2015
Visit site
Sorry about that N_LaRue, by the time I picked myself up off of the floor ( I must have fainted or something ). I had to dash off. LOL

Furt

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Not sure how accurate that article really is when it says as good as the iPhone. Any amount of research would show that the Asus Zenfone 2 has a terrible battery (personal experience and forum complaints) and that the Moto E/G suffer from overaggressive ram management on android 5.0.2 which is their current version (also current experience. Looks more like they just looked at the top selling list on amazon and wrote some quick blurbs about them.

The Lumias are the only ones on there I can say are about as good as the iPhone with zero drawbacks other than certain apps. But the same could be said about android on that topic.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Not sure how accurate that article really is when it says as good as the iPhone. Any amount of research would show that the Asus Zenfone 2 has a terrible battery (personal experience and forum complaints) and that the Moto E/G suffer from overaggressive ram management on android 5.0.2 which is their current version (also current experience. Looks more like they just looked at the top selling list on amazon and wrote some quick blurbs about them.

The Lumias are the only ones on there I can say are about as good as the iPhone with zero drawbacks other than certain apps. But the same could be said about android on that topic.
To be fair, they did say *almost as good* and you could argue, given the significant difference in price, that for most people it's true. Take cameras for instance, it used to be that low end phones had terrible cameras. Now it's getting to the point, that you need more than a casual glance to be able to tell if a photo was taken with a high end phone or a good low end one.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
Hi all.
Turned my phone on this morning and went to the news tile and found an interesting article. The item was pointing out that iPhones are "seriously overpriced" and have a poor resale value. They offer up alternatives to the iPhone 5c and 6
You have the Moto there, a galaxy, a Chinese Huwaeii P8, a One+One, and to my amazement the 640 and 640xl!!!! They even offer a nice review of the phone!
I have a 930 and I bought a 640 last week. Why does the 640 feel so much nicer in hand, compared to the 930??

So there you go, a website that provides a positive review of the 640 compared to an iPhone ( based on monetary consideration and performance compared to the iPhone ). And we thought it would never happen!!
Where does it say the iPhone is seriously overpriced? Not that I necessarily disagree.I just see the one page of phones. Or is this one of those sites, where I have to "hunt the link"? lol

Furt

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
To be fair, they did say *almost as good* and you could argue, given the significant difference in price, that for most people it's true. Take cameras for instance, it used to be that low end phones had terrible cameras. Now it's getting to the point, that you need more than a casual glance to be able to tell if a photo was taken with a high end phone or a good low end one.

True, but with the specific phones they pointed out, especially the zenfone 2, no price difference can change the tremendous amount of bloatware on the unlocked version, the terrible battery, very poor camera, quite tinny and low-volume speaker, and very low max brightness (unreadable outside). I just have a pretty bad opinion of that phone in particular. This list would have been better if they left that phone off completely. Its garbage.

The Idol 3, Moto G, Lumia 640/XL are all close to the level of use someone would want in a daily phone with the 640 at $80 on AT&T GoPhone being the absolute best deal. I just got my Carrier Unlock code from AT&T only a day after buying the phone so its truly an Unlocked version of the phone for under $100.

anon(6078578)

Jun 8, 2013
Visit site
True, but with the specific phones they pointed out, especially the zenfone 2, no price difference can change the tremendous amount of bloatware on the unlocked version, the terrible battery, very poor camera, quite tinny and low-volume speaker, and very low max brightness (unreadable outside). I just have a pretty bad opinion of that phone in particular. This list would have been better if they left that phone off completely. Its garbage.
Funny enough I was considering this phone myself, but passed due to the inconsistent reviews. I didn't realize it's camera was that bad though? I also wasn't totally convinced that the Intel Atom was 100% compatible with every Android app. The brightness of the screen was one of the things I was concerned about due to the bright sunlight we have here.

Furt

Jun 15, 2014
Visit site
Funny enough I was considering this phone myself, but passed due to the inconsistent reviews. I didn't realize it's camera was that bad though? I also wasn't totally convinced that the Intel Atom was 100% compatible with every Android app. The brightness of the screen was one of the things I was concerned about due to the bright sunlight we have here.

the intel atom wasn't an issue at for the time I had the phone which was only a week. every app I download from the super basic to relatively obscure had no problems running and the 4Gb's of RAM kept pretty much all of them open in the background, but the camera was absolutely second worse to the battery. inaccurate colors, washed out photos indoors or in anything but bright lighting, which is funny since bright lighting is where the screen is worst.

I can never say enough bad things about that phone. Even the Battery Saver built into the damn thing stopped working. force closed once and never opened back up again. I figured if I hard reset after only 1 week, it was going back to Amazon.

iPhone has terrible battery life too

trust me. I've had an iPhone 6. its a beast compared to the Zenfone 2. In fact, I've had more smartphones than any one person should ever own (28 now) and the Zenfone was by far the worst. worse than the Motorola CLIQ. Worse than the LG Revolution. it was BAD.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss