Terrible battery life?

m0ngr31

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
My wife has been on the 1020 for a while now, and for the last 6 months or so her battery life has been beyond awful. In the last week, I've replaced the battery, reset the phone to default, and disabled glance, double tap to wake, NFC, and location, but battery life is just as bad as ever. She's had it off of the charger for 3 hours and it's already used 50%. Is there anything we can do to try and resolve the issue?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
Jesus that is bad.

I think you've done much of what you can, but how about a trip to the WP Recovery Tool? A freshly downloaded install might help the phone.

Also, its not being used constantly is it? Constant web browsing will do that I think.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Well first, which OS version is the 1020 on?

My guess is that there is some app constantly polling and downloading/uploading data. That's what was causing my issue, mine ended up being OneDrive causing the issue (pictures get stuck trying to upload and it just constantly was retrying, great way to use up all your cell data!). But my 1020 is on Windows 10 Mobile build 10166. But I would review what apps are installed and if they are allowed to work in the background.

One other thing I did that helped for my battery life is changing the polling frequency in the Field Test mode. If you open up the phone dialer, type in ##DATA# (##3282#). It will give you a warning just click ok and then click the ... at the bottom. Select settings and change the polling frequency from the default 3 seconds to 9 seconds. It helps a little with battery life. The apps is the more likely culprit.

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
One other thing I did that helped for my battery life is changing the polling frequency in the Field Test mode. If you open up the phone dialer, type in ##DATA# (##3282#). It will give you a warning just click ok and then click the ... at the bottom. Select settings and change the polling frequency from the default 3 seconds to 9 seconds. It helps a little with battery life. The apps is the more likely culprit.
Not seen this before. What is this polling frequency for? I thought field test menus were related to the phone hardware (and thus I stay away from this!) rather then polling of the software within win os.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Not seen this before. What is this polling frequency for? I thought field test menus were related to the phone hardware (and thus I stay away from this!) rather then polling of the software within win os.

This is how often it polls the cell towers near you. It uses this information to determine the best connection for your phone. 9 seconds works really well if you are generally staying in a single location. If you are driving you could notice a lag in connection speed as it might lose the connection to a tower before it looks for a new tower. Although honestly I have had 0 issues with this, but it's something to keep in mind.

So yes you are right, the field test menu and this option has to do with the phone hardware. In this case with the phones radios and connections.

tweedie

Jul 26, 2013
Visit site
Hmm, interesting. I am on 4G and I noticed that if I am in a poor coverage area, the battery life is poor, but in a strong area, its much better. Could it be something that m0ngr31 try if in a poor signal area.

m0ngr31

Mar 28, 2011
Visit site
Jesus that is bad.

I think you've done much of what you can, but how about a trip to the WP Recovery Tool? A freshly downloaded install might help the phone.

Also, its not being used constantly is it? Constant web browsing will do that I think.
That seemed to do the trick. Thanks!

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss