640 xl charging and discharging fast

Knight07

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
hey guys...i bought lumia 640 xl few days back.I was very impressed with the battery back up initially 'cuz it lasted 2 days with average usage but something weird happend,after 3 charges the battery backup wasn't good anymore...it hardly lasts a day with average usage and there is also something wrong with the charger too it gets pretty hot while recharging and the battery used to get full charged from 35-40% to 100% in around 4 hours when things were hunky dory but now it gets charged from 40 % to 100% in less than 2 hours and also depletes faster...now maybe there is something wrong with the charger or perhaps its the batteries....please guys help and suggest me what to do! :/ i really like this cellphone but not this way

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
It could be various reasons to be honest.

1) Faulty charger
2) Faulty battery
3) Too many background apps running
4) Email stuck on sync

RichardTheKing

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
HI,
Same I have plug my 640 XL on the fast charger which enable faster recharge rates of up to 4.8A (TeckNet? 50W 6-Port Family-Sized Desktop USB Wall Charger (5V 10A) with BLUETEK? Smart Charging Technology)
- Plug in: 22 times
- Discharged speed: 3% per hour
- Battery life: 1 day 10 hour 30 mn
- Recharge speed: 23% per hour
- Full recharge time: 04 hours 20 mn

On the other hand I have read than fast charging could damage the battery life because the battery become warm and so on...
I plug my mobile every 2 days before I go to bed (most of the time), so I am not really bother by the duration of the charge.
Most of the time I have got my laptop with me and a battery power bank in my laptop bag just in case of

Nevertheless it will be good in some circumstance to be able to charge the phone in a very short time ( say no more than 1 hour), but it seems this option is not available on the 640XL

battery charge stat.jpg

sip1995

May 16, 2013
Visit site
Little off topic, but i see you have the 640 XL, and i'm plamming to get 1 too, so is it gonna fill my requirements (good camera on both photos and videos, stability, good big screen, loud speaker and battery life) ? Is there anything i have to worry about ?

RichardTheKing

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Good phone indeed, and very please about it. I have attached picture with my comments:

- The camera seems not to have the Optical image stabilization, or OIS and I think this why when the light is poor some pictures may not have a good quality if you move a little bit, but if you don't move the quality of the picture are very good (in my opinion), this is only when the light is not very good!
one of my typical picture with low light:
Picture low light a.jpg
Picture low light b.jpg

One of my picture in macro:
Picture macro a.jpg
Picture macro b.jpg

One of my picture with good light:
Picture good light a.jpg
Picture good light b.jpg

- It doesn't have the AC wifi connection but I am OK with the N (today my connection on wifi is inbound 54mbs and outband 14mbs)
wifi.JPG

- The black dark screen (when the phone is not on) only support today the date and email/text warning.
Dark screen:
2015-07-24 Lumia 640 XL 002s.jpg
Lock screen:
2015-07-24 Lumia 640 XL 025s.jpg
Tiles screen:
2015-07-24 Lumia 640 XL 026s.jpg

- you can only use the data on 1 sim (at the exception of the wifi obviously), but you can switch at any time which sim you want to use for your data
data option.jpg

- The battery is good and can stand for 2 days in normal use, obviously if you are using your telephone non stop (as mad) I will expect the phone to hold the charge for 1 day
battery charge stat.jpg

- Some people says that the screen is not as good as the 1520 or Iphone, yes it is not an HD screen and the resolution is a 720 X 1280. I personaly not struggling at all (my previous phone was the 1520) and I think the reading of the screen is good, see picture bellow:
2015-07-24 Lumia 640 XL 022s.jpg
2015-07-24 Lumia 640 XL 023s.jpg

- Today there is no QI charging case, but it is appear that the phone can do the QI charging.
I had the QI charging with my 1520, I have gave up because the QI charging was very very very slow, so I tam not interesting anymore about the option.

- The NFC on Windows phone is very very basic, no comparison with android.

This is what you could be consider before to buy the phone, I have attached real picture from the phone to give you some perspective.

I have owned the Lumia 520 / 1320 / 1520 but I have own also the Iphone 5S, and I personally think that the phone is a very good buy, it is a very good phone to use, the size is very good (a lot better that the 6" which was slightly to big to hold in my hand for me). The network reception is good which is mean you can call or receive call most of the time. the dual sim is an interesting option, so you don't have to take with you two phone. Windows 10 is coming up soon, this could be another interesting point.

soggs

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Can I just ask where you bought your 640XL from? There only seem to be a few UK sellers at the moment but none of the mobile providers seem to want to stock it. I may have to order it from SimplyElectronics or Mobicity as it's a lot cheaper from there.

GauravD

Jun 28, 2015
Visit site
Try a soft reset, might work. In the worst case you'll have to hard reset and if it works properly after that, then it means the problem's with the background apps.

RichardTheKing

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Can I just ask where you bought your 640XL from? There only seem to be a few UK sellers at the moment but none of the mobile providers seem to want to stock it. I may have to order it from SimplyElectronics or Mobicity as it's a lot cheaper from there.

Bought minefor ?143.95 from Simply (2 weeks delivery time):
Buy Consumer Electronics at Simply Electronics

but I think some availble with argos at for ?169.95:
Buy Sim Free Microsoft Lumia 640XL - Black at Argos.co.uk - Your Online Shop for SIM free phones.

Simply was good with a good tracking system, I was a little bit worry after 1 week, so I have send an email and I have receive an answer no more than 1 hour after to confirm that everything was OK., there is also a telephone number if you prefer to speak to people. So have to be patient, 2 weeks is a long time when you buy a new phone but as you mentioned for the price it is OK

soggs

Jun 3, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the info, you've put my mind at ease about SimplyElectronics. I have read a lot of negative reviews, but I'm more than happy to wait 2 weeks for a good saving on this phone.

The only advantage with buying from Argos is the valid UK warrantly which I am still thinking about doing for peace of mind, but it really depends whether the device will go wrong. My 920 has been rock solid for the last 2 years so I'm not hugely worried. I just need to decide whether it will be too big compared to my 920.

Decisions, decisions.....

RichardTheKing

Mar 29, 2015
Visit site
Thanks for the info, you've put my mind at ease about SimplyElectronics. I have read a lot of negative reviews, but I'm more than happy to wait 2 weeks for a good saving on this phone.

The only advantage with buying from Argos is the valid UK warrantly which I am still thinking about doing for peace of mind, but it really depends whether the device will go wrong. My 920 has been rock solid for the last 2 years so I'm not hugely worried. I just need to decide whether it will be too big compared to my 920.

Decisions, decisions.....

About the warranty i think it is anyway a Microsoft manufacturing warranty which will be nothing to do with Argos or amazon. So I do not believe this will change anything for the warranty if you by the phone form Amazon or the other side of the earth.
The 920 was a very good phone and I think the 640 XL will keep you happy at least for 1 year :) and after that you should have some other interesting new choices you may decide to go or not for some specific reason.
I have owned the 520, the 1320 and the 1520, and I am now very satisfied with the 640 XL. and you know what :amaze: I can receive phone call and call people most of the time :smile:, This option seems not to be always available for some very good and expensive phone :grin:

Knight07

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
so guys...i bought a new charger because i thought that perhaps charger is outta whack. but the new charger recharges in same duration and gets just as hot like the original so i'm asssuming that it's normal,and i recharged my lumia again with the original charger from 25% to 100% and with the average use on 3g+texting and watching videos and whatsapp and stuff at the end of the day i still had 40% juice in it so i guess that's the best i can get out of it???? and from now on i'd be charging it from 40% to 80% 'cuz i've heared it prolongs battery life......except all this battery confusion..the cellphone itself is a masterpiece with a few quirks i guess which are mostly pertaining the camera in some cases but in daylight and outdoors it's hunky dory...!

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
What use is a big battery if you Always have to charge from 40% to 80%? I don't think it can hurt to not always do that. Just don't let your battery completely die very often, and don't let it charge too long. I Always did this with my 925 and 1320, the batteries were still very good after a year.

Knight07

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
What use is a big battery if you Always have to charge from 40% to 80%? I don't think it can hurt to not always do that. Just don't let your battery completely die very often, and don't let it charge too long. I Always did this with my 925 and 1320, the batteries were still very good after a year.

yaah that's right...what good is 3000mah if we're not getting the best outta it but I do have a question and that is whenever I charge my batteries to let say 80% or 100%,it drops 3 or 4 % pretty quick and that erks me though the rest of the percentage goes down as normal...80-40% lasts a day if I just text and use whatsapp and surf for a while. Also my lumia drops 3% on standy if left for 8 hours...is it normal?

Draganta

Oct 15, 2013
Visit site
yaah that's right...what good is 3000mah if we're not getting the best outta it but I do have a question and that is whenever I charge my batteries to let say 80% or 100%,it drops 3 or 4 % pretty quick and that erks me though the rest of the percentage goes down as normal...80-40% lasts a day if I just text and use whatsapp and surf for a while. Also my lumia drops 3% on standy if left for 8 hours...is it normal?

I have the same with my 640 XL, maybe it is because it is still new? My 1320 did that in the beginning, but not after 4 to 6 weeks. My ipad for example holds 100% charge for almost a day, and my 520 and 1320 drop to 99% after a few hours. My 640 XL drops to 96% usually after half an hour, even if I don't use it at all.

broar94

Apr 10, 2013
Visit site
^^ apple doesn't lose battery during standby that easily. Youll always find android and windows phones losing charge as day goes by..

Knight07

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
I have the same with my 640 XL, maybe it is because it is still new? My 1320 did that in the beginning, but not after 4 to 6 weeks. My ipad for example holds 100% charge for almost a day, and my 520 and 1320 drop to 99% after a few hours. My 640 XL drops to 96% usually after half an hour, even if I don't use it at all.
well then I guess I should assume that it's normal....thanks for helping though because if you hadn't told me that I was planning to take this matter to nokia care center.

Knight07

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
^^ apple doesn't lose battery during standby that easily. Youll always find android and windows phones losing charge as day goes by..
yaah that I've heared and seen but there are actually some android phones too that I've happened to use and they don't drain much on standy either....10 hours and it'd be 2-3% and I hope windows 10 would bring better battery consumption

libra89

Feb 6, 2015
Visit site
yaah that I've heared and seen but there are actually some android phones too that I've happened to use and they don't drain much on standy either....10 hours and it'd be 2-3% and I hope windows 10 would bring better battery consumption
Hmm I think that can also depend on settings and what apps are allowed to run in the background. I say settings because having the store always checking for app updates for your apps in the background could also be something that is not helping. I have a 640 but I don't have this issue at all with draining so much on standby.

Knight07

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site
Hmm I think that can also depend on settings and what apps are allowed to run in the background. I say settings because having the store always checking for app updates for your apps in the background could also be something that is not helping. I have a 640 but I don't have this issue at all with draining so much on standby.
well i'd try switching off apps in the background,maybe it'd help somewhat...

Knight07

Jul 23, 2015
Visit site

there's definitely something wrong with my lumia I guess because last night I took it off recharging it was 86% and after just 7 and a half hours it dropped to 75% without using at all...now the 2-4% right after taking it off recharge is maybe normal but this doesn't look normal to me...so should I get a replacement now?

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
shelton786