Feedback needed from anyone with L1020 running W10 TP

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
My patience is running out and I cant seem to get to the door in time to close it.

ATM the 1020 is on update2 (I signed up for the insider program to get it) and I would consider getting the TP seeing that it is in the later stages and getting closer to finishing stages.
I would like to know if it is stable enough on the 1020 and can it be used on a daily driver. I just need the basic functions of calls, sms and emails specifically Gmail through the accounts/ default email app and the usual social apps like WhatsApp, FB 6tag.

What are the bugs if any that you guys have on your 1020? anything with the camera? Do you get a new camera app with W10?

Cheers
S

billhatter

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
I use it as my daily driver.

My biggest complaint is the camera app. Lumia Camera is gone sadly, and the new camera app does not do DNG files. Rawer is a waste for me right now.

It's pretty snappy, and I've only had a few bugs creep up on me. The most annoying being the screen going black while using WordFlow, but a hard reset fixes it, and I'm off to the races again.

Skamath

Feb 15, 2014
Visit site
I use it as my daily driver.

My biggest complaint is the camera app. Lumia Camera is gone sadly, and the new camera app does not do DNG files. Rawer is a waste for me right now.

It's pretty snappy, and I've only had a few bugs creep up on me. The most annoying being the screen going black while using WordFlow, but a hard reset fixes it, and I'm off to the races again.

The new camera app that you talk about is it the "universal" app where you can record a video and take still images off it? and the hard reset for the word flow issue is it a recurring problem? how often do you get it? Any info on the windows email app any bugs using the other social apps or calls sms?

Cheers

billhatter

Mar 6, 2014
Visit site
No problems with calls. The outlook app is fine. I use it with my live account without any problems. Zero issues with sms, I don't use many social apps. I've not had the WordFlow problem in about a week or so now. It could have been app related and got fixed.

I believe it is the universal camera app. I've not tried capturing stills off of video though.

jnoss

Jul 25, 2015
Visit site
I upgraded my 1020 to Windows 10 as soon as it was available. When I found out the Lumia camera app no longer worked and I could no longer get 41 MP DNG images, I downgraded it back to Windows 8.1. Since my primary use for the phone is as a camera, I will not upgrade again, but will leave it on Windows 8.1.

Withheld

Feb 10, 2015
Visit site
Just about everything works great and getting better with each build. My biggest problem is with an unlocked phone from another carrier and MMS. I cannot send attachments and slightly shorter battery life but may be location services and background apps.

Live2Deliver

Oct 30, 2013
Visit site
Don't, just don't.

I'm not sure what's your threshold of bugs, but certainly 10166 have exceeded mine.
- Live Tiles not working / updating at all
- 'Loading' start screen forever
- slow, sluggish performance. Take forever to load apps.
- Photos crashes randomly
- Lots more... To the point that I went back to hangdroid for desperation.
- Contrary to above, the default camera works good enough for me.

Yes I've wiped and started from scratch after installing 10166. And probably someone with higher threshold for bugs would probably flame me for this post.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
At least with the AT&T version of the 1020 running 10166, after you do a hard reset and don't restore from backup, the Lumia Camera app is back. I am trying to get used to the Windows Camera (which does take full 38/34 mpx images in jpg format) as Microsoft has announced they are discontinuing the Lumia Camera so eventually it will be entirely gone. However, it doesn't shoot in RAW yet which is what I really need.

For now though I have both Lumia Camera and Windows Camera running on my 1020 on build 10166

Blashkyrk

Dec 18, 2013
Visit site
Took a photo and it was 7712x4352.
Running Build 10512 on L1020.
Issues so far is a couple of apps not updating in store. Overall a bit sluggish compared to 8.1 and not as good battery performance.
No Lumia Camera app.

BryceMD

Jun 23, 2014
Visit site
Performance is pretty sluggish on a 1020 unless you do a reset if the phone and not restore a backup. But, if you start from fresh it is usable as a daily driver, which is what I'm doing. Currently my only issue is I can't modify glance settings. I find glance causes the lock screen to be a little slow, so I'd like to disable it.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I would do a reset, That's no issue. I will take my photos off my phone. That's the only thing that's needed. I will wait for a little longer before I do it.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Yes, that is correct. Windows camera does take the full mp photos. Like Blashkyrk mentioned, the photo size is 7712x4352 which is the 34mp size. If you change it to 4:3 ratio then it takes the 38mp size.

I'm running build 10512 on mine and I did a hard reset on it. It's working pretty well so far and not too sluggish, but there are hiccups here and there. As for battery maybe it's just because I did a hard reset last night, but I have amazing battery life. Also, just a side comment I have the Lumia Camera app on my 1020. It is removed when you do the upgrade, but with at least the at&t version of the 1020 they automatically get reinstalled when you do a hard reset with no restore.

patrikmore

May 28, 2014
Visit site
If you don't have RAW, what's the point on installing Windows 10 ? I remember you that with our "toy" camera, RAW is many times the only way to get "pro" pictures.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
Yes, not having RAW in the Windows Camera is a big negative. This is one reason why I have not fully switched to using it yet and still have Lumia Camera installed on my 1020 with 10512. However, I am trying to get used to using the Windows Camera as the Lumia apps are being discontinued.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I have never used raw and I get amazing photos that work great in PP. My friend is the same, he shoots in JPEG only and has made thousands of dollars. People put way to much thought into stuff. You have way more power in JPEG and a good Editing program, than you ever did in a dark room and what not. People are making things way to difficult.

Summer_Moon

Sep 16, 2014
Visit site
It depends on what you are trying to do with the picture. jpeg is great for getting good photos using the post-processing that is built in to the camera. Shooting in raw allows you to by-pass the post-processing (which is actually causes photos to lose some amount of detail). If you want full manual control over your photos and how they end up working, you cannot substitute jpeg for raw. It just does not work that way. That's not to say you can't get amazing photos with jpeg, it's just you are sacrificing detail and manual control over the final photo.

Like you said though, don't over think it. If you don't want to shoot in raw and like the way jpeg turns out then great! Keep doing whatever works for you. However, the opposite is true too. Some people (me included) love to mess with the actual photo that was taken by the sensor and have full manual control. It's just what works for me. I'm not over-thinking it or putting too much thought into it. It's what I want to do and I don't want it taken away from me simply because others have no use for it. Bottom line, once raw is put back into Windows Camera I will stop putting Lumia Camera back onto my phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa