Used 640 for 1 Week; Dropped it and went back to iPhone 6

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
Literally dropped it. Went on a run with the wife and I offered to slip her iPhone into my pouch (not the one I usually run with) and since the two phones were making contact, I moved it to a pocket within the pack. In doing so, it slipped out (I was light running) and down to the rocky ground it went. I'm so sad, but still made a crack to my wife that her iPhone probably booted my Lumia out of the pouch. It's not an expensive phone, but dammit I'm going to try to repair the screen.

So here they are. Two broken Win Phones. The 920 with the bent SIM tray contacts and the 640 with the broken grill. I've placed an order for the glass ($5 on eBay) and the adhesives needed to mount it ($6 on eBay). If I can get it fixed for $11, it'll be all good.

IMG_5630.JPG

Last edited:
Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
Re: Used 640 for 1 Week; Dropped it and going back to iPhone 6

Ouch :p
Reminds me to never put my iPhone and Lumia XL in the same spot together. iPhone is probably plotting to get rid of it so it is my only one ;)

Hope you can get it fixed though!

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site

I use my Nokia 930, for my runs, with Endomondo, fantastic GPS accuracy compared to my old Iphone 6, I put it in a flip case, in a bag, inside my bum-bag and only use Bluetooth headphones for notifications of distance and music, I would hate to drop it, shame your 640 was so badly damaged, feel sorry you have to put up with using an iphone again...yawnful device

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site

Ouch :p
Reminds me to never put my iPhone and Lumia XL in the same spot together. iPhone is probably plotting to get rid of it so it is my only one ;)

Hope you can get it fixed though!

No kidding. My 920 got hosed because iPhone requires a *special* sized SIM, so I used an adapter. My 640 got kicked out of the pouch. The conspiracy is real.

I use my Nokia 930, for my runs, with Endomondo, fantastic GPS accuracy compared to my old Iphone 6, I put it in a flip case, in a bag, inside my bum-bag and only use Bluetooth headphones for notifications of distance and music, I would hate to drop it, shame your 640 was so badly damaged, feel sorry you have to put up with using an iphone again...yawnful device

Which BT headset you using? I've used a couple and unfortunately the best one in terms of fit for me is the Beats PowerBeats Wireless. Overpriced, but I hardly ever need to readjust during the run and wearing a hat or sunglasses is fine with it.

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site

No kidding. My 920 got hosed because iPhone requires a *special* sized SIM, so I used an adapter. My 640 got kicked out of the pouch. The conspiracy is real.

Which BT headset you using? I've used a couple and unfortunately the best one in terms of fit for me is the Beats PowerBeats Wireless. Overpriced, but I hardly ever need to readjust during the run and wearing a hat or sunglasses is fine with it.
It's trying to turn us into sheeple. #iphonemsasterrace lol

captaincalamity

May 8, 2013
Visit site

I use an old Bluemusic Pro, cost me ?4 at a car boot sale, works pretty well, nice clear bass and music, although the beep everytime it looses a mobile signal is a bit annoying, especially as im a trail runner

Kanishka

Jun 24, 2014
Visit site
man I have the same sim card issue on my 920, and just picked up the 640 yesterday.
Seems quite comparable in terms of specs, but the OIS on the camera for the 920 is still superior.
If only I knew someone who can solder the new parts for the 920!

hope the 640 gets fixed soon.

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
man I have the same sim card issue on my 920, and just picked up the 640 yesterday.
Seems quite comparable in terms of specs, but the OIS on the camera for the 920 is still superior.
If only I knew someone who can solder the new parts for the 920!

hope the 640 gets fixed soon.

My T2 screwdriver will be here soon, so I'll be peeking in there to see what the damage is. I'm hoping for bent pins only and that I can hopefully bend them back without soldering. I suggest you try the same and get yourself a toolkit - make sure the T2 screwdriver is in there. As much as I like the 640, I really miss the 920 camera with OIS.

Check my post here for a video on the disassembly and the service guide further down: http://forums.windowscentral.com/nokia-lumia-920/362852-disassembling-920-a.html

Good luck

Nov 20, 2012
Visit site
I've had my 640 since Wednesday. I now realize I do hate gloss and I hate non special colors such as white.

That being said this phone is absolutely amazing foe $100(or 80 with att and 40 with metro). The camera isn't great but the screen and overall performance are absolutely amazing. This phone deserves to be mu h more popular

jaimeastin

Apr 8, 2012
Visit site
Lol, I guess I was not the only one with bent sim contacts on a 920... that led me to my 1520... which I dropped and broke... Now, I have 640 and the phone is solid for such a great price. No high price, no contract mess, just buy a good phone and out the door! It does what I need. There are some missing things, but for the most part I will have this phone until a flagship arrives... Or even the second flagship :p

Witness

Jun 29, 2011
Visit site
I've had my 640 since Wednesday. I now realize I do hate gloss and I hate non special colors such as white.

That being said this phone is absolutely amazing foe $100(or 80 with att and 40 with metro). The camera isn't great but the screen and overall performance are absolutely amazing. This phone deserves to be mu h more popular

There are some after market back covers on eBay to swap with.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
jacobss