Considering the 1020

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I currently have the 640 XL and I am very displeased with it. The screen flickers when I touch it in certain spots, there's a yellow spot burned at the top and switching carriers for a 'dual sim' is about as useless as swapping out physical sim cards.

1. Does the 1020 support Windows Phone 8.1 update 2?
2. Will it get the Windows 10 update?
3. Any issues I should be aware of?

I loved my 520, but it doesn't support the LTE band my carrier uses and the I wanted more screen real estate, which is why I 'upgraded' to the 640 XL.

I read through the bugs and defects on the 1020, but there doesn't seem to be anything wildly frightening. Thoughts?

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
1. Technically yes but it will not officially get Update 2, so assume it will not have it.

2. It should get the Update, although officially it might not if its an ATT or other branded model. It should be fine though.

3. Nothing that it WILL have. Some 1020's have issues, but the warranty should help if it does develop problems and you buy it from a reputable seller that offers one.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
I'm hoping I can 'survive' with my 640 XL until the 940/950 comes out this fall. I was really bummed out about how many problems I have with it.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
Unfortunately I got an international version and I live in the US, which means the warranty is invalid. I'm trying to call MS to see if they'll make an exception, but I chose Windows 10 release day to try that, haha.

@harmon rabb: 640 and 640 XL are different phones. The XL community is reporting this as a widespread problem.

CaptainLumia

Aug 12, 2014
Visit site
1. Technically yes but it will not officially get Update 2, so assume it will not have it.

2. It should get the Update, although officially it might not if its an ATT or other branded model. It should be fine though.

3. Nothing that it WILL have. Some 1020's have issues, but the warranty should help if it does develop problems and you buy it from a reputable seller that offers one.

I appreciate your answers, however I find them as clear as mud. :grincry: So let me clarify: the 1020 I would buy (if I were to purchase one) would be RM-877 unlocked. So it would be AT&T branded, however unlocked. I basically want to know if I'll be able to update to the latest 8.1 update and then eventually 10. Thanks again!

xandros9

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
I appreciate your answers, however I find them as clear as mud. :grincry: So let me clarify: the 1020 I would buy (if I were to purchase one) would be RM-877 unlocked. So it would be AT&T branded, however unlocked. I basically want to know if I'll be able to update to the latest 8.1 update and then eventually 10. Thanks again!

OK, lets try again!
So since its ATT branded, the updates will have to be approved by ATT before installation, regardless of its unlock status.

It will probably come with Windows Phone 8.1. (not Update 1 or 2) and that is probably the latest it can officially/publicly get.

However, you can use the Preview for Developers program to update the phone to Windows Phone 8.1 Update 1, which I recommend highly. Update 2 is NOT available through that program.

Whether you'll be able to update to Windows 10 with ATT's blessing remains to be seen, but I'm not optimistic.
However, Windows Insider might be your ticket to 10 when its in better shape.

Blacklac

Nov 10, 2011
Visit site
You won't get Update 2 or W10 on an AT&T device unless you use the Windows Insider program, and you'll more than likely skip right to W10, not Update 2.

I have a 1020 right now, as a backup. Hard to recommend buying one new, now. It's really starting to age, hardware wise. The camera is all it has left, and really, unless you need its awesome night shot ability, just get a newer phone. The 830/930/1520 take excellent daytime shots.

Posted via the Windows Central App for Android

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
So my 1020 I just got updated right away, I am on AT&T, the info is:

Phone 8.1 Update
OS Version 8.10.14266.359
I also have an HTC One M8 that has update 2, and the 1020 was available at the same time, I chose the HTC because of the Micro SD card, I didn't know that the OneDrive would stream and basically be the same as being stored on the phone. Oh well.

AT&T updates the M8 and not the 1020? Bummer.

When Windows 10 is released the 1020 will not be upgradable? What if the 1020 has an insider version of windows 10 on it when 10 is officially updated, will it upgrade then or quit working? You see the "not for resale" branding on the start screen. Any insight would be appreciated.

I want W10 but I also want to give this 1020 a shake, thanks.

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I love my 1020. Its an awesome phone. I am going to go windows insider when W10 is released to the public. I have no hope that AT&T will update my 1020.

RTGent

Jan 24, 2013
Visit site
I have an A Tandt 1020 that I purchased used at e-bey about a year ago ( mint, paid $289). I don't visit WP much any more, so I don't know what "update 2" is, but I'm on Denim, having had a Cyan update earlier; maybe that's it. I don't buy the insiders requirement and expect to get an update to W10, but we'll see. My phone has run mostly flawlessly since I got it and I haven't seen anything out there or on the horizon that would make me switch. BTW, I have never installed any developers, or beta, or any other advanced version of anything, and patience for official or final, prompted updates has worked great. I got the phone because of the exceptional camera, and I'm keeping it for the same reason until its camera-equivalent or an improvement becomes available --although I have zero interest in a device that is any bigger than the 1020, and that is the trend. And I'm keeping it even if Denim is as far as it goes. I love the battery life, the super-great reliability, and the speed and quality of any application I use. Yes, there's a second or two delay for the huge, beautiful, photos to be saved, but I rarely even notice it, and the photos are worth it to me in any event. The videos are also superior. And yes, if my 1020 died today, I'd be on e-bey in a minute looking for the same seller or another black beauty.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoshRos