Just bought a 1020 - Questions? I've got answers

DoyouFanBoyBro

Jun 7, 2013
Visit site
Hey All,

Yes I actually just bought a 1020..rofl.. (coming from a 640XL) I hope that this post clears up a few things for others, because i've actually seen a few posts RECENTLY where people were interested in buying one believe it or not...

1. First off i bought mine for 139$ off that online deal that's going around, i want to clear something up fast before anyone makes the mistake i made, that is NOT a brand new model, yes mine is used... i'm REALLY upset about it.. here i was thinking it was just an amazing deal i mean... F me right? it's a 2 year old phone the damn thing should be 139$...but it came used and with scratches on the screen...make sure you are getting a brand new one.

2. i've seen some comments and threads asking about how the phone is 2 years later? thought i'd help with that.

i just switched here from the Lumia 640 XL, and too my suprise this 2 year old phone is SNAPPIER then the 640XL, it's definitly faster.

i've also seen comments about people saying the 1020 camera is too slow.. i mean.. how can i describe it.. YES it's slower then every phone out there? but it's not anywhere near annoying levels. it's basically just a second. it's not bad at all...
and for the pictures this thing takes? WOW it's worth it.. so i'd have to say totally worth it.

I'm glad i bought it, really enjoying it, battery life is TOP NOTCH with the latest update i'm just more upset that it's used than anything =X

Mark F24

Oct 12, 2014
Visit site
I was looking for feedback on the $139.00 deal, I knew it is supposed to be a refurb or something, I hope at least it's not trashed.

Should be here Wednesday. I want one to see if I want to get a new one.

rfortson

Sep 3, 2013
Visit site
I jumped on this deal as well. I figured it was a refurb so no worries there. I should have it today hopefully.

I still have my HTC Desire Eye and will be switching back and forth. For $139, I figure it's a no-brainer. Now I'm debating on whether or not to buy the battery/camera grip. Ahhh, who am I kidding...of course I'll buy it. :)

chmun77

May 27, 2011
Visit site
Being a user of both 640XL and 1020 as well, I still feel 640 XL is snappier. Why? I do find the duration of Resuming.... is much shorter on the 640 XL compared 1020. 1020 is getting old. Really old. You will be pissed by the 1020 camera launch speed when comes the time you need to do a quick snap of situations around you ie Fireworks.

SnuggleTheBear

Nov 28, 2013
Visit site
I also bought the phone for $139 and got $10 off after switching from black to a yellow phone! This is finally my first Windows Phone as I previously used all Sprint phones before. I was a little worried about it being a few years old plus the support for Windows 10, but I think it was right call for me.

I have a couple questions in general about Windows phone.
1. How do I set a specific Wi-Fi network to a 'metered' connection or have it treated like a 'mobile' connection? I know it is possible with Windows 8.1 and Android, but couldn't figure it out. Basically I have a mobile hotspot that I have purchased that I pay per the Gigabyte and I don't want to download unnecessary things that I can do over my home connection (i.e. podcasts).
2. If I have a Skype number, is there an easier way for me to call instead of dialing it through Skype? I tried to use Cortana, and the only time I could get her to call someone is when someone had Skype vs calling a contact phone number.

General questions about Windows 10 and Lumia 1020
3. Do the most recent Windows 10 builds have Wi-Fi calling? I know this phone appears to be originally AT&T, but I wasn't sure if somehow I could enable Wi-Fi calling on it for T-Mobile.

Edit: Sorry, I didn't mean to double post my questions on two different threads.

Last edited:

Guytronic

Ambassador Team Leader
Nov 4, 2013
Visit site
After having this 1020 for a few hours now I can see the camera has a steep learning curve.

The 1020 in high resolution is definitely not a point and shoot for most situations.
With some patience the photo results are more than stellar!
This phone using a tripod with an old school exposure guide result in unbelievable photos.

Fascinating device for photos all in all...

Last edited:

Steve Adams

Banned
Nov 29, 2013
Visit site
I paid 339 each for our two phones and was happy to do so. Its the best phone I have owned. Camera is THE BEST ever to this day put into a phone. Yes, others have gimmicks, but the 1020 has the best camera for taking PHOTOs. I would not be upset that you paid 139 for a used phone.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
kuyhaa