Cyan is a diein'

daniel_leavitt2000

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
I have always been a WP fan. I bought a Samsung Focus the day is was released and renewed my ATT contract with a Lumia 920 the second day it hit shelves. After nearly three years, my cyan Lumia 920 is officially dead.

The phone did really well by me. it was a rock solid performer and survived several major drops. It survived the heat in the jungles of Thailand, and -15F winter nights outside Boston. It worked caked with snow while using a snow blower. It worked on 16 hour plane trips.

The camera was my favorite feature and the Refocus App allowed me to photograph insects, flowers and models in detail I normally would need a DSLR for.

Being a gadget nut, I frequently flashed the latest software, stuffed it with offline maps and reset it and do it all over again. I could use the Lumia Software Recovery Tool in my sleep.

A few months ago, I finally broke the glass. Now the LCD and touch was working fine, but Gorilla Glass had cracked. I ordered a new LCD assembly on eBay and was back in business in a few days.

But all was not well. there was a crack in the corner of the polycarb case, connecting to USB became tricky and the phone slowed down quite a bit. After attempting to load the latest build of W10 on it, the phone finally bricked to the point of no return. It would let me reload the recovery software only to brick again in a few hours. I think the flash memory finally fizzled.

So yesterday, I bought myself a Lumia 640 as a stop-gap until the 950 or Intel phone comes out. And you know what? That $75 phone is actually really nice. Thin, light, and the screen is just as pleasant. I'll miss the camera on the 920, but it will do for a few months.

So here's to you Cyan L920, the first and only phone that was tough enough to take my abuse for three years.

Laura Knotek

Retired Moderator
Mar 31, 2012
Visit site
I'm glad you had a good experience with your cyan Lumia 920 for 3 years.

Good luck with your new 640.

Are you going to get the Cityman or Talkman next?

daniel_leavitt2000

Dec 29, 2010
Visit site
Talkman. I couldn't even hold the 1520 and the 640XL was uncomfortable.

One thing I am really digging on the 635/640s is that pop-up navigation bar. I was always annoyed by the glowing capacitive buttons when watching Netflix in bed.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
moocher720