Use AT&T 635 in Australia?

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Can I take an unlocked AT&T GoPhone Lumia 635 to Australia and just pop in a local SIM and use it successfully? My phone is the RM-975 variant?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
Yes it should work. If you're going to use it permanently in Australia then also think about getting the phone unbranded (not necessary)

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks for the quick reply. Does the RM-975 have the correct bands to operate in Australia? What do you gain by unbranding?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
The RM-975 does have the GSM bands for Australia. Do you know what carrier you would be using it on?

Debranding removes AT&T's dependency for software updates, the ROM does not have any AT&T branding. It does not affect performance though. If you're unsure about the process then I would suggest not exploring it since it does need some advanced rom flashing silks.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Not sure what carrier would make the most sense. From what little I have gathered I should find it easy to purchase a prepaid service that I can use for a week or so. Any suggestions? I'm not necessarily looking for the rock-bottom price, but more interested in good service and convenience. I guess my question wasn't clear on unbranding--I meant is there some advantage to unbranding that is specific to Australia? Some hidden feature that I would gain that is useful in Australia?

pankaj981

Jul 10, 2012
Visit site
I meant is there some advantage to unbranding that is specific to Australia? Some hidden feature that I would gain that is useful in Australia?
Not really. I guess the unbranding process is more of an enthusiast/advanced user thing. For normal users this should not matter or affect the usage at all.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Thanks--I may try unbranding at some point--saw the other thread on here with information on that. By the way, I saw that Amazon had Lumia 635s at $39.95, making them a good candidate for someone looking to experiment.

PepperdotNet

Jan 6, 2014
Visit site
There are two hardware variations of Lumia 635. The one sold in the Americas is RM-975, and elsewhere is RM-974. If I had to guess I would say the difference is which LTE bands it supports. The RM-974 is the one sold in Australia.

If you carry an unlocked RM-975 to Australia, it will work, but might be limited to 3G.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
hetb