08-11-2015 01:22 PM
29 12
tools
    I recently bought a 640 XL and noticed it lags when scrolling websites, so I picked up a 640 to try and same thing! What's up with this? I thought Windows was smooth as butter?
    08-07-2015 11:18 AM
    I recently bought a 640 XL and noticed it lags when scrolling websites, so I picked up a 640 to try and same thing! What's up with this? I thought Windows was smooth as butter?
    The UI generally is, but web pages are another matter entirely. These p[hones still have mid-range-at-best processors, so they can only handle so much so well, and web browsing is generally a chore on Android phones with similar chipsets.

Regardless of platform, the higher end the CPU the better the performance, and I think one of the easiest ways to tell the difference is by using a web browser on those devices.
    08-07-2015 01:16 PM
    Windows 10 mobile will have the new Edge browser which has better performance. You can upgrade now to the beta version if you don't mind bugs. I would suggest waiting until the new build (possibly next week) if you want to upgrade.
    08-07-2015 01:31 PM
    Our browser sucks, it's a feature, not a bug. And here we are waiting for win 10 mobile. At least the 640 is inexpensive. I always feel sorry for those that spent the big bucks.
    noersetiawan likes this.
    08-07-2015 02:36 PM
    The UI generally is, but web pages are another matter entirely. These p[hones still have mid-range-at-best processors, so they can only handle so much so well, and web browsing is generally a chore on Android phones with similar chipsets.

Regardless of platform, the higher end the CPU the better the performance, and I think one of the easiest ways to tell the difference is by using a web browser on those devices.
    Sorry, but both my old Droid X2 which has specs far lower than the 640/XL as well as my $29 LG Fuel (which probably has lower specs than the Droid X2) I was using for the last several months don't lag as much on websites. It's extremely annoying, so much so I might dump both phones and go back to android. I'm VERY surprised there aren't more complaints about the lag with these phones, the hesitation/delay while scrolling most websites makes me want to pull my hair out as well as the "resuming" when you're not even remotely pushing the phone. I don't know what I'm going to do.
    08-07-2015 09:59 PM
    Our browser sucks, it's a feature, not a bug. And here we are waiting for win 10 mobile. At least the 640 is inexpensive. I always feel sorry for those that spent the big bucks.
    I was debating between one of the 640's and a Droid Maxx new for $145. The specs om the Maxx blow the 640 away, but I'm not big on specs and really wanted to try Windows for a change... so far I'm regretting not getting the Droid and sticking with Verizon.
    08-07-2015 10:02 PM
    Sorry, but both my old Droid X2 which has specs far lower than the 640/XL as well as my $29 LG Fuel (which probably has lower specs than the Droid X2) I was using for the last several months don't lag as much on websites. It's extremely annoying, so much so I might dump both phones and go back to android. I'm VERY surprised there aren't more complaints about the lag with these phones, the hesitation/delay while scrolling most websites makes me want to pull my hair out as well as the "resuming" when you're not even remotely pushing the phone. I don't know what I'm going to do.

I've seen HUGE improvements in mobile Chrome over what it used to be way back when. I have a Moto E LTE sitting here, and yeah the processor is a little better (Snapdragon 410 vs 400 found in 640/XL) and web browsing is *much* better.

I sincerely hope that Edge works some magic in W10Mobile.
    etad putta likes this.
    08-08-2015 09:26 AM
    It's a $79 phone for Pete's sake...there's a give and take with everything.
    etad putta likes this.
    08-09-2015 03:45 PM
    My Lumia 640 lags horribly. I am very disappointed. I am trying to decode whether or not to exchange for android.
    08-09-2015 05:41 PM
    Lag in web browsing is to be expected with the snapdragon 400 and poor internet explorer. For the resuming that's the os, something currently being fixed with win 10 mobile also edge will be much better with webpages.
    08-09-2015 06:07 PM
    It's a $79 phone for Pete's sake...there's a give and take with everything.
    Um, maybe you should, you know.. .actually try reading my post next time? The 640 XL is a $250 phone.. for Pete's Sake... not a $79 phone (and for the record the 640 sells for as much as $170 unlocked). And like I said my $29 phone doesn't lag as much.
    Last edited by perpleSlerp; 08-09-2015 at 07:34 PM.
    08-09-2015 07:23 PM
    I forgot to ask if you have tried Opera, UC Browser and Surfy to see if they still lag. Have you? If not, you should give it a try.
    08-09-2015 07:32 PM
    My Lumia 640 lags horribly. I am very disappointed. I am trying to decode whether or not to exchange for android.
    I wouldn't say mine lags horribly, just annoyingly. I too and trying to decide whether to go back to Android, maybe the new Moto G, or stick it out a little longer. I'm going to try some third party browsers as recommended before I give up.
    libra89 likes this.
    08-09-2015 07:38 PM
    It still comes down to smart shopping and doing a little research before you buy. The 640 is a $79 phone for many of us. At this price point it is a fantastic device and kicks the snot out of any android phone.
    08-10-2015 06:46 AM
    Cant seem to get my 640 to lag whilst in the internet browser, it seems pretty slick to me, perhaps im doing something wrong
    Deanig_12 and sleeve22 like this.
    08-10-2015 07:40 AM
    Cant seem to get my 640 to lag whilst in the internet browser, it seems pretty slick to me, perhaps im doing something wrong
    It really depends on the site. This site and Mobile Nations' sites are horrid on IE on 8.1, but seem much improved, for me at least, in Edge in 10166 preview build.

Still, that 400 processor is a bit of a killer. It's a real shame that it couldn't get bumped to a 410, which has a greater effect than I thought it would in the Moto G.
    08-10-2015 08:36 AM
    It still comes down to smart shopping and doing a little research before you buy. The 640 is a $79 phone for many of us. At this price point it is a fantastic device and kicks the snot out of any android phone.
    Some of you guys should really read the whole thread, or at least the posts by the OP, before responding. You couldn't be more wrong about Android, as I pointed out above, my $29 LG doesn't lag as much or at least it doesn't lag any worse. My old $59 Moto G did not lag at all, my sisters current Moto E does not seem to lag at all. If I didn't do my research before buying why would I ask the question "I thought Windows was smooth as butter?". If you search the site you will see I've been doing my research for months.
    08-10-2015 09:26 AM
    Some of you guys should really read the whole thread, or at least the posts by the OP, before responding. You couldn't be more wrong about Android, as I pointed out above, my $29 LG doesn't lag as much or at least it doesn't lag any worse. My old $59 Moto G did not lag at all, my sisters current Moto E does not seem to lag at all. If I didn't do my research before buying why would I ask the question "I thought Windows was smooth as butter?". If you search the site you will see I've been doing my research for months.
    Reality does not apply. What matters is opinion/attitude. It's this way on most fan sites, no matter what we're fanatical about.
    08-10-2015 10:06 AM
    i too dont have any problems :/ no lag here
    08-10-2015 10:13 AM
    OP. What is the point of this thread? You have already done your thorough research (apparently) and come to a conclusion. You refute any argument to the contrary so again I ask, what is the point of this thread? I don't seem to have the stuttering issues you have but then I dont have a point to make. For info i also have an iphone 5c and a Moto E 2nd gen as reference points and to be honest don't notice much difference in browsing etc between all 3. My Moto does stutter every now and then more so than the other 2 (iphone doesn't struggle at all ever as far as I can see). I just prefer the OS experience with windows phone which is why I use it 75% of the time.
    etad putta likes this.
    08-10-2015 10:15 AM
    Let's just try Windows Central website as target.

I'm having A Laptop Running Windows 10. It has i7 2670QM, 8GB Ram and SSHD disk. I'm having test on 3 browser Edge,Chromium,IE

Overall no matter which browser I use they didn't perform well when the webpage is too much. Are you saying my i7 2670QM can't handle browsing at 1366.768 res?

So i'm grab my phone first I tried Lumia 625 open the WC site in desktop mode with IE. Isn't perform well but still bearable.
    Next I open it with 930. Has some differece but not much

My point is no matter what your browser if the site isn't good yeah you know
    08-10-2015 10:37 AM
    My lumia 640 is maybe a smidge slow on web browsing, but not that big a deal. Overall i find it to be as smooth as KY as it's a pleasure to use.
    08-10-2015 12:57 PM
    OP. What is the point of this thread? You have already done your thorough research (apparently) and come to a conclusion. You refute any argument to the contrary so again I ask, what is the point of this thread? I don't seem to have the stuttering issues you have but then I dont have a point to make. For info i also have an iphone 5c and a Moto E 2nd gen as reference points and to be honest don't notice much difference in browsing etc between all 3. My Moto does stutter every now and then more so than the other 2 (iphone doesn't struggle at all ever as far as I can see). I just prefer the OS experience with windows phone which is why I use it 75% of the time.
    I believe the point is obvious, but I'll spell it out. Both my new Windows phone/s lag. I thought Windows Phone is specifically known and cherished for being the exact opposite, not laggy, the anti-Android. Anyone have any ideas?

The above is my point.

The responses thus far have been mixed (and helpful), some people have lag, some don't, some have it bad, some not so much. Seems to me it's a flaw in some 640's and 640 XL's, perhaps a chip problem or a stock app problem that is not present in all phones.
    08-10-2015 06:41 PM
    My lumia 640 is maybe a smidge slow on web browsing, but not that big a deal. Overall i find it to be as smooth as KY as it's a pleasure to use.
    Both my 640 and 640 XL are pretty smooth locally, off line, no real lag to speak of. Well, maybe a tiny bit here and there, but totally acceptable.
    08-10-2015 06:45 PM
    I believe the point is obvious, but I'll spell it out. Both my new Windows phone/s lag. I thought Windows Phone is specifically known and cherished for being the exact opposite, not laggy, the anti-Android. Anyone have any ideas?

The above is my point.

The responses thus far have been mixed (and helpful), some people have lag, some don't, some have it bad, some not so much. Seems to me it's a flaw in some 640's and 640 XL's, perhaps a chip problem or a stock app problem that is not present in all phones.
    You are just unlucky I guess. I have owned a lot of phones...a lot. From all points of the spectrum and the one thing I have noticed is that there is a broad correlation between price and performance. I have also noticed that this is more apparent in android devices. I am not alone in this, many many tech reviewers cite the same thing, time and again that Windows phone (love it or hate it) does run well on low spec hardware. THAT is why windows phone has a reputation for being a smoother OS. Saying that, the latest gen android devices are way better than even a year ago so there is probably no appreciable difference now. Perceptions take a while to catch up though. My 640 does not experience any significant lag unless load it. I also find a regular (weekly) soft reset keeps it zipping along nicely.
    08-11-2015 03:17 AM
29 12