Unlock ATT GoPhone Not Yet Put Into Service

GWBlack

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Hi Folks,

I bought this Lumia 635 as AT&T No-Contract GoPhone on Amazon a months ago for my 11-year old boy who is entering junior high tomorrow ==>
http://www.amazon.com/AT-Nokia-Lumi...ag=hawk-future-20&ascsubtag=UUwpUvbUpU3191831

Back then, the reviews said that, despite being AT&T locked, it should work fine on any AT&T MVNO. However today, when I called Consumer Cellular and PureTalk USA, both told me it won't work on their AT&T networks without being unlocked first.

I've read through 6 months of posts here. It seems people have mixed experiences with unlocking these phones, depending on if they are prior AT&T customers, bought it new or used, or still have a receipt. Although we've not yet put this specific phone on any plan, we currently have two DIFFERENT cell phones on monthly AT&T Go Phone Plans. So my questions are:

1) Given my phone's circumstances (I haven't yet put it on any plan), will AT&T unlock my phone? I read they require fulfilling 6 months service before they will unlock it.
2) If AT&T won't unlock it, will one of those unlock codes sold on EBay work? I didn't want to go through all the hassle with AT&T if I can just buy a code for $3 or so.

Thank you in advance!
Gary

GWBlack

May 16, 2015
Visit site
You can try the method someone posted here: Unlocking BS from GoPhone - Page 6

Thank you! I read that thread. You must be referring to Antilope's post at the top of Page 6. The thing that still concerns me is he wrote that the new sim (after unlocking is done) cannot be from an AT&T MVNO. I was planning to use PureTalk USA or Consumer Cellular, which are AT&T MVNOs. Has anybody had any success with unlocking this particular phone and using it with them? I've not tried yet since I've not signed up with them yet. Perhaps this "AT&T locked" phone will work with them without even being unlocked??.

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
both told me it won't work on their AT&T networks without being unlocked first.
That is absolutely false. I am using a GoPhone Lumia 635 on PureTalk right now. I previously used it on H2O. I have used other GoPhones on Red Pocket. You can use a GoPhone on any AT&T MVNO without unlocking it first. Be careful if you use Consumer as I believe they also have SIMs for the T-Mobile network. The GoPhone would not work on the T-Mobile network without being unlocked first. I am surprised you were steered wrong by someone at PureTalk. I have had several dealings with their customer service department and they have always been courteous, accurate, and helpful. I highly recommend PureTalk. They offer full LTE speeds, free SIMs, good cs, and low prices for low usage, along with no hassles. No additional taxes or fees, unlike Consumer.

Here's a quote from the PureTalk website:
If your phone is AT&T or Cingular, our SIM chip should be compatible.

Last edited:

davidofmidnight

Mar 1, 2014
Visit site
The thing that still concerns me is he wrote that the new sim (after unlocking is done) cannot be from an AT&T MVNO.

That makes no sense. Once a phone is unlocked, it shouldn't matter who the underlying carrier is as long as the bands work.

There's also the option of just entering the MEID (or whatever) on the new carrier's site to see if it works.

tgp

Dec 1, 2012
Visit site
As Ten Four said, what they told you is false. The phone will work on MVNOs using AT&T service without being unlocked. It seems that it is SOP to say that any phone that isn't theirs won't work without unlocking. This is probably to absolve themselves of any responsibility.

GWBlack

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Thank you everybody for your replies! They are very helpful. It's great to hear that I don't have to fool around unlocking it to use it on PureTalk.
Best,
Gary

Newcron

Nov 29, 2014
Visit site
Here's the deal. What you've read here is correct, your phone *will* work without unlocking on any AT&T MVNO. I have had mine on H2O Wireless for a long time without any problem.

The only problem is that after the phone is activated on an AT&T MVNO, if you request unlock code from AT&T, they will deny your request saying that the phone is 'currently active' or some similar nonsense. I learned this the hard way.

So, if you think that you'll ever need to unlock this phone and use it on non-AT&T-based carrier in the future (maybe you wanted to try a T-Mobile MVNO, or traveling overseas, etc), you need to unlock it first (follow the instruction on the link provided above) now, before you activate the phone on anything. AT&T will have no problem giving you the unlock code. You can then unlock the phone, and can use SIM card from any carrier (including the AT&T MVNOs you're already planning to use).

starnesj1

Sep 10, 2015
Visit site
Gary I bought same phone 635 go phone and I use consumer celluler. Just order service and when you get the sim card in mail put it in the phone and the phone works fine was even able to update to Denim

RumoredNow

Nov 12, 2012
Visit site
The thing that still concerns me is he wrote that the new sim (after unlocking is done) cannot be from an AT&T MVNO.

What that probably refers to is that you need a non ATT or non ATT mvno SIM to trigger the request for the unlock code.

As stated above any ATT mvno SIM just works without an unlock. So you need a T-Mo flavored SIM or a foreign SIM to trigger the phone to ask you for the unlock code...

Alternatively, you can dial into the SIM unlock function with ##7820# (no need to even tap send)>

Once on the screen, you just tap the field, input the code and press enter on your keyboard. The padlock icon will unlock and you are done.

attachment.php

Attachments

• wp_ss_20150910_0001.jpg
    wp_ss_20150910_0001.jpg
    40.8 KB · Views: 47

Ten Four

Nov 20, 2013
Visit site
Since I am planning an overseas trip I applied online again to AT&T for an unlock code for my 635 and I received the code within a few hours. Maybe it takes three tries!

GWBlack

May 16, 2015
Visit site
Thank you everybody! I ended getting an unlock code from ATT (took several days) although I didn't need to use it since my PureTalkUSA sim card worked fine without it. It's my young boy's emergency phone, so we haven't really needed to use it yet other than making a few quick test calls to make sure it works.

Anyway, all seems well at this point. Thank you for all of your replies!!!

taylerdo

Mar 2, 2015
Visit site
Re: Unlocking the ATT GoPhone

Thank you for the ##7820# tip for SIM unlocking an AT&T wireless phone.

I have two Lumia AT&T GoPhones: a 635 (SKU 6561A), and a 520 (SKU 6087A). I have unlock codes for both phones, through AT&T.

The 635 has the GoPhone SIM in it, and works fine. The 520 was never activated with any SIM.

I installed 10512 on the 635. The phone was then SIM unlocked using ##7820# on the dial pad, plus the unlock code (worked fine).

Installing 10536.1004 on the 635 required a hard reset, and a soft reset, but it worked. I went back to ##7820#, and found that the phone was SIM locked again. I re-entered the unlock code, and it SIM unlocked again.

Question: Do two successful SIM unlock code entries on the 635 count against the 10 "trys" allowed by AT&T, or can I keep SIM unlocking it whenever it decides to SIM lock (presumably after a hard reset) ?

By the way, I had to put the 635 SIM in the 520 to access ##7820# to unlock the 520, but unlocking that phone worked, too. The 520 has the Cyan update from AT&T and a micro SD card, but is otherwise stock.

Thanks.

Don

Last edited:

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
velocityxs